Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Fedora_Kilt_zps5rojob7k.jpg
That answers that, and that's that!

Pardon my double, just figuring this out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
I understand your point but when you realize the enormous difference in the hat market size between now and one hundred years ago it seems to me to be overly optimistic to think of any manner of hat resurgence to that scale.

As I said -- I don't think the normalcy of hat wearing will return, but I do think the demand for quality felt could. Here's hoping!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Im happy to see any young dude or chick wearing a hat. Even if they are hipster wannabes or wearing garbage. The more hat wearers the better.and hopefully their tastes will improve as they mature and they'll keep on wearing as they get older. I don't look down on any hat wearer. The more the better.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Next week I'm off to Scotland for a few weeks for my job. I will wear one fedora and pack another. But I wonder if I'll see any there?
I think fur felt hats in Scotland are somewhat rare.
The weather there is not good for them.
But then I don't go there for 2 years. Maybe things have changed.

As I said -- I don't think the normalcy of hat wearing will return, but I do think the demand for quality felt could. Here's hoping!
I can hope too but certainly will not hold my breath in anticipation. I don't think that even amongst us "hat addicts" there is the wallet to pay for what would be a very small, boutique felt maker and the prices they would need to charge our custom hat makers. Many of the custom hatters have vintage felts from the 50's ( I know of at least 5 or 6) and I do not see many (if any) examples of their work using these felts. For me it is the price they want, $500 and up. I will settle for a Winchester Beaver and be very happy with that quality and buy two rather than one of these vintage felts. I just don't see where any demand exists for higher quality and more expensive felts when the hard reality of the price we would need to pay hits our wallet..

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
I can hope too but certainly will not hold my breath in anticipation. I don't think that even amongst us "hat addicts" there is the wallet to pay for what would be a very small, boutique felt maker and the prices they would need to charge our custom hat makers. Many of the custom hatters have vintage felts from the 50's ( I know of at least 5 or 6) and I do not see many (if any) examples of their work using these felts. For me it is the price they want, $500 and up. I will settle for a Winchester Beaver and be very happy with that quality and buy two rather than one of these vintage felts. I just don't see where any demand exists for higher quality and more expensive felts when the hard reality of the price we would need to pay hits our wallet..

Since vintage felt is in limited supply, the price for the finished product will certainly be higher. But there could be some inexpensive chemical discovery in felt-making, not even directly related to millinery, that could end up benefiting the hat industry over the coming decades by allowing for a continual stream of inexpensive antique-like caps. I don't see any obstacle for it except the issue of demand, which is something that could reach a sufficient level in time.

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Hat sizing formula

Is there a way to confirm a hat size where I am given internal dimensions of 19cm front to back and 16cm side to side? Seller does not seem too sure about hats and thinks it makes a 55 cm circonférence but is there a formula to translate the 19 cm x 16 cm into a hat size?

Looks like a nice hat, but not worth it if too small. If it were a 56, I could probably stretch it just so...

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hat sizing formula

Is there a way to confirm a hat size where I am given internal dimensions of 19cm front to back and 16cm side to side? Seller does not seem too sure about hats and thinks it makes a 55 cm circonférence but is there a formula to translate the 19 cm x 16 cm into a hat size?

Looks like a nice hat, but not worth it if too small. If it were a 56, I could probably stretch it just so...
I believe the seller is correct. This is how I do it. Basically length in inches plus width in inches then devide by two.
19cm = 7.49"
16cm = 6.29"
7.49" + 6.29"= 13.78"
13.78 / 2 = 6.89"
Hat size should be 6 7/8 or 55cm

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
I believe the seller is correct. This is how I do it. Basically length in inches plus width in inches then devide by two.
19cm = 7.49"
16cm = 6.29"
7.49" + 6.29"= 13.78"
13.78 / 2 = 6.89"
Hat size should be 6 7/8 or 55cm

Professor Hughes - thank you very much for this. Not only have you answered my questions in record time, I have also learnt something useful to boot. Much appreciated!

Hat sizing formula

Here's a handy online ellipse circumference calculator:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/circumellipse.html

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Adjustable band blocks

Whilst I am on this page, more questions:

I do not have a band block in my size, but have seen an adjustable band block with wood all the way around, just split in two (front half/back half). This one is in my size or slightly big (it is a 7 1/8 US and I am probably between a 7 and 7 1/8). Is it worth getting or should I keep looking for one slightly smaller, e.g. a 7 and then expand it to my size?

This would be for reblocking hats when I find a block or should I just get a fixed band block in my size (custom or 7 1/8)?

I'd think no, that sounds like a hat jack or stretcher. My question, are you building a hat and doing it proper? Do you want a nice clean sharp, brim break and for the opening to be sized correct? Then you buy what is needed to do things correct. I already laid that all out for you. Maybe look at my Instagram feed #alleykathatco, I leave breadcrumbs all over for those with a sharp eye who yearn to learn.

BIG HEAD QUESTION:
I have a question, this will help me decide something.

I have a body off a block. THE 7-7/8 LO band block fits it perfectly.

My question is, how I can best suit a big head, if he were shopping Etsy?

This hat can be 7-3/4 LO

The 7-3/4 regular oval will work fine also.

What would your opinion be, on size; from a potential shopper point of view?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran