Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
Phil, I don't know if you've made your decision & placed your order yet or not, & don't know what hat you are talking about since I couldn't find the OP. Most of us who have been around a while would probably prefer the Bluegrass Green. It is like a blue spruce color & goes well with about every color you might wear with it. The Silverbelly color has changed a lot thru the yrs & seems to vary some even among sample batches. It is neither silver nor gray. It varies from a light tan to almost white in color, & usually matched up with a brown to sometimes almost gold ribbon.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your new hat.
Hi Thanks for this,
im going to order a campdraft from EA. im off on a gaunt to one of the rain forests in Australia. sounds strange but it'll be easier to buy the hat now, rather than search it out whilst there!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
It was described simply as: "Open Crown." Then the description added, to be shaped to your own style of preference. That's why I asked the question here, own style of preference sounded like a clever, too clever, piece of salesmanship.

open crown simply means un creased

Sent from my space aged handheld communication device and universal translator

Perhaps I didn't read back far enough but the term "packer" can also apply to a cowboy hat that has the brim, both front and back, almost severely drawn down. "Packer draw".

This is a cartoon illustration that helps to get the point across.
image.jpeg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Well, I meant brand/model.
Yes I realised that, but in the absence of such, I too wasn't sure if I could "bash" the hat to the shape that I wanted, which is why I drew upon the knowledge of Loungers. The photo was of a hat with it's crown looking like a dome. I have seen hats in that stage previously. When Esther made me a hat to match my blue linen suit, an outfit that I put together for a friend's Hawaiian themed wedding, she sent a photo of the hat pre-shaped. Esther then turned the hat into a Stratoliner look-a-like.

I can't find the photos right now, but you've seen them many times, here is what she did with my last straw hat, what a talent the lady is. Oh, and by the way, she's in the process of making me a hat for another outfit, Tina & I hope to go over to Belgium to collect it, now I know what the bash is, I'm going to buy the hat, take it with me and ask Esther to work her magic on it.

The photo's depict the original hat, hatband, choice of sweatband, the finished article and the delighted wearer. (I absolutely love the extra wide brim.)

new hat 008.jpg new hat 009.jpg new hat 010.jpg new hat 011.jpg new hat 015.JPG

Willebe

A-List Customer
Yes I realised that, but in the absence of such, I too wasn't sure if I could "bash" the hat to the shape that I wanted, which is why I drew upon the knowledge of Loungers. The photo was of a hat with it's crown looking like a dome. I have seen hats in that stage previously. When Esther made me a hat to match my blue linen suit, an outfit that I put together for a friend's Hawaiian themed wedding, she sent a photo of the hat pre-shaped. Esther then turned the hat into a Stratoliner look-a-like.

I can't find the photos right now, but you've seen them many times, here is what she did with my last straw hat, what a talent the lady is. Oh, and by the way, she's in the process of making me a hat for another outfit, Tina & I hope to go over to Belgium to collect it, now I know what the bash is, I'm going to buy the hat, take it with me and ask Esther to work her magic on it.

The photo's depict the original hat, hatband, choice of sweatband, the finished article and the delighted wearer. (I absolutely love the extra wide brim.)

View attachment 75772 View attachment 75773 View attachment 75774 View attachment 75775 View attachment 75776
Well, I'm impressed with it. Looks amazing to me. You Loungers might sell me on straw hats eventually with these kind of examples.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Dirk Dirkinson

New in Town
Hi all, I have recently come upon a couple of akubra hats that I am having trouble dating, I guess that's the case as you get older, finding dates are rare. I am looking for any information on, one Akubra "Saddlestich", which at a guess is early '60s and the second a Akubra "Checkmate", which I would guess to be late '60s. Both hats have a stitch pattern over the, crown, which at first I was disappointed in, but it's green it fits well and it has earned a place on the "go to meeting" shelf. The second is also a very nice hat and I now have it on the jack hoping it will come good. Sorry I have yet to understand the sending a photo bit, but if anyone has any advice on anything please learn me along.

Hi all, I have recently come upon a couple of akubra hats that I am having trouble dating, I guess that's the case as you get older, finding dates are rare. I am looking for any information on, one Akubra "Saddlestich", which at a guess is early '60s and the second a Akubra "Checkmate", which I would guess to be late '60s. Both hats have a stitch pattern over the, crown, which at first I was disappointed in, but it's green it fits well and it has earned a place on the "go to meeting" shelf. The second is also a very nice hat and I now have it on the jack hoping it will come good. Sorry I have yet to understand the sending a photo bit, but if anyone has any advice on anything please learn me along.

Pictures would go a long way in helping answer your question.

First, welcome to The Lounge!

Second, have you tried contacting Akubra to see if they can provide any information about these hats? That might take some of the "fun" out of it, but their information would probably be more accurate than ours even if it's only something like, "We produced those hats from 1958 to 1972".

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for taking the time to look! I appreciate it. Hopefully I didn't trouble you at all.
Bro... I live for this $#!¥
:)
I'm merely a student of the game
The longer you are hear the more you will recognize who the real deal cats are who will tell you everything you need to know about a vintage hat

Guys like @alanfgag @carouselvic @mayserwegener @rlk etc etc

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So I snagged a toast, vented OR this afternoon--->

...nice, eh? Well the seller didn't ID it as Panama or shangtung, so I go looking for photos of the shangtung (less desirable imo) and find these;

and as you can see the hat is clearly labeled 'shangtung'... but the interior of my purchase looks like this;

without the shangtung label around the Stetson TM,...soooo, I am thinking maybe I got a real Panama? What do ya'll think?

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
So I snagged a toast, vented OR this afternoon--->

...nice, eh? Well the seller didn't ID it as Panama or shangtung, so I go looking for photos of the shangtung (less desirable imo) and find these;

and as you can see the hat is clearly labeled 'shangtung'... but the interior of my purchase looks like this;

without the shangtung lable around the Stetson TM,...soooo, I am thinking maybe I got a real Panama? What do ya'll think?
Thinking that would be nice. It's certainly a different sweat...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy