Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Wax Man

New in Town
How do I pull off my straw fedora. It's not fancy but it's my favorite and most confortable. It works well with heans but none of my t-shirts or jackets seem to work.

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Wonky brim

I picked up this no name, Made in England straw, nice blue ribbon and leather sweat.

d0fbe73d5ce3e8091c79aef154de525a.jpg

However, when I flick the brim down, it does not stay centred but veers off to the left.

Any suggestions on yow to fix this? It is almost as if the hat is not straight.

4a05b4db02df9bce8ef1a5fccc1cb169.jpg

112db7fb144e1a95a414ae10726c849a.jpg

Wonky brim

I picked up this no name, Made in England straw, nice blue ribbon and leather sweat.

d0fbe73d5ce3e8091c79aef154de525a.jpg

However, when I flick the brim down, it does not stay centred but veers off to the left.

Any suggestions on yow to fix this? It is almost as if the hat is not straight.

4a05b4db02df9bce8ef1a5fccc1cb169.jpg

112db7fb144e1a95a414ae10726c849a.jpg
That would make me think a former owner liked the "Hollywood" brim. Nothing wrong with that!!! Have a head shot?

I don't mind the way it is, but if you want to change it easily, mist a little water onto the brim. With CLEAN fingers you should be able to put the brim where you like it, and dry it in place with a hair dryer, or simply fixture it in place (what I do) to dry on its own. Another hint is to snap the brim as though aiming to cover one eye, not perfectly centered. But, in the end, it's all up to you!! Nothing is permanent...

Have fun!!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I had trouble with a crease on my Cuenca straw hat and just put a little steam to it with filtered water and it's held the brim down the way I like it.

But I also like the way your hat is creased @Windsock8e It really is a kind of Hollywood bash, to be sure, and has loads of character.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
So I snagged a toast, vented OR this afternoon--->

...nice, eh? Well the seller didn't ID it as Panama or shangtung, so I go looking for photos of the shangtung (less desirable imo) and find these;

and as you can see the hat is clearly labeled 'shangtung'... but the interior of my purchase looks like this;

without the shangtung label around the Stetson TM,...soooo, I am thinking maybe I got a real Panama? What do ya'll think?

It's hard to tell just by pictures, but generally the Panama (whether Montecristi or Cuenca) has some loose, snipped ends in the inside center of the crown and some tell-tale rings that are visible when you hold the hat up so the light shines through. The tippet can cover the snipped ends, though and make it hard to see...

Since it's a 7-1/2, you could just ship it out to Oregon for a proper evaluation... ;)

Gunloader55

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know anything about Geldhill fedora from the 30s,contact in London wants $340 plus shipping it is in mint new condition.

Thanks for any help,

How do I pull off my straw fedora. It's not fancy but it's my favorite and most confortable. It works well with heans but none of my t-shirts or jackets seem to work.
Simple. Put the hat on your head and wear it. In my experience 99% of the people we encounter couldn't care less about what we're wearing, and the 1% who do are usually wrong.

Willebe

A-List Customer
Simple. Put the hat on your head and wear it. In my experience 99% of the people we encounter couldn't care less about what we're wearing, and the 1% who do are usually wrong.
+1. People are more worried about how they look to others and care nothing about how other people look. They are too busy living up to the Hollywood ideal.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Hi everyone; here's a question that's probably been asked and answered about ten thousand times on here, but, here I go; what type of hat does Bogart wear in The Big Sleep? Anyone know, or have any ideas as to reasonable ($200 or less range) facsimiles/clones?

Any help would be MUCH Appreciated! Hahahaa! Thanks! If you see anything similar, I wear between a 7 1/4 and a 7 3/8, depending; let me know! Please!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hi everyone; here's a question that's probably been asked and answered about ten thousand times on here, but, here I go; what type of hat does Bogart wear in The Big Sleep? Anyone know, or have any ideas as to reasonable ($200 or less range) facsimiles/clones?

Any help would be MUCH Appreciated! Hahahaa! Thanks! If you see anything similar, I wear between a 7 1/4 and a 7 3/8, depending; let me know! Please!

https://bamfstyle.com/2015/09/22/bigsleep-bogart-suit1/

The hat worn is a Royal Stetson...clearly seen in a screen grab from the film during the fight sequence, when he is jumped by the two thugs. His hat falls off and you can pause the DVD and see clearly the liner.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
https://bamfstyle.com/2015/09/22/bigsleep-bogart-suit1/

The hat worn is a Royal Stetson...clearly seen in a screen grab from the film during the fight sequence, when he is jumped by the two thugs. His hat falls off and you can pause the DVD and see clearly the liner.
Thanks a TON Sir! I hadn't thought to freeze it at that moment! Well, I know what I'm getting in a few days.

Have a Great one Sir!

Thanks a TON Sir! I hadn't thought to freeze it at that moment! Well, I know what I'm getting in a few days.

Have a Great one Sir!

If you can find a vintage Royal Stetson like that one in a few days, your hat-fu is unsurpassed.

You won't find anything quite like it in the modern Stetson catalog. Maybe a Stetsonian, but those are discontinued.

Of course, one of our custom hatters could scratch your itch.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy