Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aj25

New in Town
Thanks for all the replies. I will try taking some Pictures later. There is one of the Royal Stetsons which is eaten around the back of the brim a bit. Bugs seem to have done it. Although now there is none as there are repellents in the box. Pity really as it is a very nice pale light blue or blue gray.

Besides this they are just not 100 clean. They have been stored for a while.

How do I find out the age? The mentioned label under the sweatband?

Size most of them seem to be 7 1/4 or 58cm.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for all the replies. I will try taking some Pictures later. There is one of the Royal Stetsons which is eaten around the back of the brim a bit. Bugs seem to have done it. Although now there is none as there are repellents in the box. Pity really as it is a very nice pale light blue or blue gray.

Yer welcome. Not mint? Not interested.

Once you post pics, we can help you with age estimates. That's why we're asking for labels and sweat markings.

Doing this stuff is like crack for us.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Aj25

New in Town
For the record I didn't mean this thread to be a sales thread. :)

The bidding will happen on ebay most likely.

They are 5 hats total. I will get pictures as soon as I get the time to take them all out.

Thanks everybody.

Fedster

Familiar Face
I don't own one and have zero interest to ... but something jumped out about your post

first of all I would never roll any hat ... even if it is considered "rollable" ... not recommended in my mind

but if a hat has a wire in the edge of the brim it was clearly never intended to be rolled

rolling hats to me is nothing more than a novelty and I do not recommend doing it to any hat on a regular basis

Agree. I doubt it will retain a nice shape, especially after multiple roles.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

At my age I am well aware that a hat that gets rolled and unrolled will look like it is a hat that gets rolled and unrolled, as opposed to a fresh new hat. I do not care -- I need it for sun protection, not for fashion. My Tilley T3 does get rolled and unrolled, but I am NOT a big fan of canvas hat and I AM a big fan of felt hats. Unfortunately I need a hat I can pack away and pull out when I need because I have to wear a hard hat some of the time and I must pack the hat away. When I do not need the hard hat but I am still doing fieldwork in the sun I need a hat of some sort. Given a choice I'd like a *fur* felt hat, but if that is not possible the Tilley will do.

DocCasualty

One of the Regulars
At my age I am well aware that a hat that gets rolled and unrolled will look like it is a hat that gets rolled and unrolled, as opposed to a fresh new hat. I do not care -- I need it for sun protection, not for fashion. My Tilley T3 does get rolled and unrolled, but I am NOT a big fan of canvas hat and I AM a big fan of felt hats. Unfortunately I need a hat I can pack away and pull out when I need because I have to wear a hard hat some of the time and I must pack the hat away. When I do not need the hard hat but I am still doing fieldwork in the sun I need a hat of some sort. Given a choice I'd like a *fur* felt hat, but if that is not possible the Tilley will do.
I understand that you prefer fur felt (who doesn't?) but for your other requirements, have you considered a crushable hat? The ones I have owned have been wool felt as I assume they need to be in this category but bounce back to life from harsh storage.

Fedster

Familiar Face
I understand that you prefer fur felt (who doesn't?) but for your other requirements, have you considered a crushable hat? The ones I have owned have been wool felt as I assume they need to be in this category but bounce back to life from harsh storage.

Well that's why I am asking about the Akubra Traveller -- it might be as crushable as a wool hat (especially if I cut off the plastic reinforcement at the brim's edge). I know some loungers have this hat so I hoped I could get the experience of actual owners as opposed to random speculation or 1 minute youtube videos.

Asudef

New in Town
Hat care question:

Are those long handled narrow curved hat brushes crucial or would a rectangular one work as long as its horse hair?

I'm looking to get a brush for my coats as well and would prefer something that could double duty.

Also, the felt in my crown is really soft and a little fuzzy in areas where it creased a lot. Is there a good way to smooth it out without using sandpaper on it? Can I smooth it with a piece of polished bone while steaming?

Hat care question:

Are those long handled narrow curved hat brushes crucial or would a rectangular one work as long as its horse hair?

I'm looking to get a brush for my coats as well and would prefer something that could double duty.

Also, the felt in my crown is really soft and a little fuzzy in areas where it creased a lot. Is there a good way to smooth it out without using sandpaper on it? Can I smooth it with a piece of polished bone while steaming?

Paint brushes are my hat brushes. You might try a hat sponge to smooth that area down before resorting to sandpaper.

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
Paint brushes are my hat brushes. You might try a hat sponge to smooth that area down before resorting to sandpaper.

As a hatter, I use a variety of brushes that vary in stiffness, along with a couple different hat sponges. That said, I think it depends on whether you're just removing light dust or something heavier. Also, if you have both light and dark hats, I recommend that you use different brushes for light or dark felt. Hope this helps!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
As a hatter, I use a variety of brushes that vary in stiffness, along with a couple different hat sponges. That said, I think it depends on whether you're just removing light dust or something heavier. Also, if you have both light and dark hats, I recommend that you use different brushes for light or dark felt. Hope this helps!
definitely different brushes for light and dark ... absolutely recommended

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy