Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
My limited experience (4 orders) suggests better service (& boxes !) from Hats Direct.

(Thanks Naomi & Trudi)
I've made three purchases from Everything Australian and three from Hats Direct, and received excellent service every time. Hats Direct may or may not have better boxes, but the first hat I bought from them arrived with 1/4 of the box crushed inward; fortunately, the hat inside was undamaged (though the front of the brim had been pushed up against the crown).

I agree with part of what Doctor Strange wrote in post #13973. Hats Direct sells only hats, so they have to make more of a profit on every sale in order to stay in business. Everything Australian, on the other hand, sells hats, and boots, and clothing, and camping equipment, so their diversity probably allows them to operate with a lower profit margin on their hat sales. Also, it seems Everything Australian doesn't have the storage space to keep every hat they sell in stock in every size and color, which is why we occasionally have to wait three months for the hat we want; they have to order it from Akubra. This might factor into their pricing structure, so maybe their prices are lower to make up for the inconvenience of making their customers wait--pay less and wait three months (Everything Australian), or pay more and get your hat sooner (Hats Direct). But all things being equal, i.e. the same hat in the same felt quality, color, and size, in stock at both, Everything Australian usually has the better deal.

Last edited:

Aj25

New in Town
to be different ?

no sir ... to be organized and retain some sense of structure

as for your second question ... you seem like a bright fella
figure it out
sometimes it takes folks more than 3 days to get the gist of how things work around here

keep in mind that you are not required to stay if you don't like the way things are run ... though we would enjoy your input

I know I'm not required to stay and as I said a few posts ago, I have my foot in the door anyway. Hats are sold! Somebody made me an offer I couldn't refuse for all the hats.

Debussychopin

New in Town
Hello, I just joined but have been perusing the forum for the past few months since I started getting into some nicer hats. A bit about myself, I regularly wear a lot of stingy-brim fedoras, the cheaper kinds, from the chinese ones from Amazon to Bailey (which are nice btw). The stingy brim just fits my look better than most hat styles due to my face shape and overall build and preference.

I started getting a few Biltmores (to try my hand on the wider brimmed fedoras) and got hooked. I love the quality of these hats. I have read about their history and recent move to USA production, but although interesting I dont really care, just I love the look, feel and quality. I find Biltmore just right up my alley as their styling is a bit edgier, maybe a bit more jazzy? More Italian? And more colorful. I play the piano and ukulele so I like that genre of hat. Rather than the more staunch, Indiana jones, Akubra fed-type, classic fedora look. I guess. If that even is any accurate description.

Anyways, my question is, I have a Biltmore Royal hat, beautiful exquisite hat I might add, in a sort of sage/military green fur color w a bright yellow feather. The hat is perfect other than the brim, when I snap it down, it snaps un-balanced. The brim is stiff and snap-able, yes, but on one side it snaps fully (like in-line perpendicular to the side of my head), but on the other side, it snaps more of a 'yield' to the slight upturn of the edge of the brim, so it sort of stops at that angle prior to going to the side of the head.

Does this make sense? Ill try to show a pic. And even with a bit fiddling and getting it balanced, after some wear it will snap back to their original inclined alignments.

I just find that maybe defective (because none of my other Baileys do that) or something inherent on the biltmores? As a couple of others sort of do, but not as noticeable.

Anyways, the issue should be moot for me as I usually just wear the brims up. Like a musician would I guess, even though I dont consider myself a musician yet!
However, I am a bit curious to just know the truth and perhaps remedy it without any drastic measures like buying a flange equipment. (I learned from reading here, thanks. .. but still, some questions like above I havent read anything about ).

My next hat will be from hats plus. Their Biltmore Reese hat. Will be my last hat for awhile, I feel guilty for buying too many recently.
Thanks.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Hello, I just joined but have been perusing the forum for the past few months since I started getting into some nicer hats. A bit about myself, I regularly wear a lot of stingy-brim fedoras, the cheaper kinds, from the chinese ones from Amazon to Bailey (which are nice btw). The stingy brim just fits my look better than most hat styles due to my face shape and overall build and preference.

I started getting a few Biltmores (to try my hand on the wider brimmed fedoras) and got hooked. I love the quality of these hats. I have read about their history and recent move to USA production, but although interesting I dont really care, just I love the look, feel and quality. I find Biltmore just right up my alley as their styling is a bit edgier, maybe a bit more jazzy? More Italian? And more colorful. I play the piano and ukulele so I like that genre of hat. Rather than the more staunch, Indiana jones, Akubra fed-type, classic fedora look. I guess. If that even is any accurate description.

Anyways, my question is, I have a Biltmore Royal hat, beautiful exquisite hat I might add, in a sort of sage/military green fur color w a bright yellow feather. The hat is perfect other than the brim, when I snap it down, it snaps un-balanced. The brim is stiff and snap-able, yes, but on one side it snaps fully (like in-line perpendicular to the side of my head), but on the other side, it snaps more of a 'yield' to the slight upturn of the edge of the brim, so it sort of stops at that angle prior to going to the side of the head.

Does this make sense? Ill try to show a pic. And even with a bit fiddling and getting it balanced, after some wear it will snap back to their original inclined alignments.

I just find that maybe defective (because none of my other Baileys do that) or something inherent on the biltmores? As a couple of others sort of do, but not as noticeable.

Anyways, the issue should be moot for me as I usually just wear the brims up. Like a musician would I guess, even though I dont consider myself a musician yet!
However, I am a bit curious to just know the truth and perhaps remedy it without any drastic measures like buying a flange equipment. (I learned from reading here, thanks. .. but still, some questions like above I havent read anything about ).

My next hat will be from hats plus. Their Biltmore Reese hat. Will be my last hat for awhile, I feel guilty for buying too many recently.
Thanks.
Lol. Don't feel guilty abt buying a new hat esp a "Reese." Here's mine I got ftom Hats Plus. It was a new old stock Canadian Biltmore. They may some left and it'd be cool to score one of those.
20170523_125423-1.jpg
Plz post some pics of yer brim problems.

Debussychopin

New in Town
I won't be able to post often or address everyone but however I did want to reply to Bob, bc although everyone has great contributions on this forum, I was especially enthralled by Bob's pics of his fedoras. Excellent angles and great matching ensembles (you seem to have a keen sense of fashion as lot of your looks are subtly refined) , your Biltmores are what not surprisingly made me look into the Reese hat. I've seen that butterscotch in your photos before, very nice! And you wear the hats more like I would do as well.
(I really didn't want to admit this all too early lol)
I'll see if I can post pics later I'm out of town at the moment.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I won't be able to post often or address everyone but however I did want to reply to Bob, bc although everyone has great contributions on this forum, I was especially enthralled by Bob's pics of his fedoras. Excellent angles and great matching ensembles (you seem to have a keen sense of fashion as lot of your looks are subtly refined) , your Biltmores are what not surprisingly made me look into the Reese hat. I've seen that butterscotch in your photos before, very nice! And you wear the hats more like I would do as well.
(I really didn't want to admit this all too early lol)
I'll see if I can post pics later I'm out of town at the moment.
Thank you. I'm flattered.

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
Tough, since the "circle" is not perfectly round, you can't calculate using the circumference formula. (dang it!!) :mad:

I'd grab a cloth tape measure and run it around the sweatband. Once you've got that, any hat sizing chart should pretty much nail it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21