Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
How does one go about determining the size of a hat that is only available on-line? I have one idea how to do it but I'm still reluctant to take the plunge. I'm also afraid that the same size hat from different manufacturers will not fit the same.

Jalpa85

New in Town
I posted this on another thread but I'm not getting anywhere so I'm hoping I can find help here. I found this hat at an auction some weeks ago and thought it was a Stetson Raw Edge. It came in a Stetson box and seems to fit well. There are no marks or tags on the hat other than the crest shown. Does anyone know the manufacturer and any details of the hat, like name, type of fur, era? Can anyone tell me if the hat box is for two hats? Anyone know what era the hat box is from? IMG_0813.JPG IMG_0814.JPG IMG_0820 Cropped.JPG IMG_0834 Cropped.JPG IMG_0838.JPG

I posted this on another thread but I'm not getting anywhere so I'm hoping I can find help here. I found this hat at an auction some weeks ago and thought it was a Stetson Raw Edge. It came in a Stetson box and seems to fit well. There are no marks or tags on the hat other than the crest shown. Does anyone know the manufacturer and any details of the hat, like name, type of fur, era? Can anyone tell me if the hat box is for two hats? Anyone know what era the hat box is from? View attachment 78929 View attachment 78930 View attachment 78931 View attachment 78932 View attachment 78933

My guess puts the box about 1960, and that it was made for a nice, taaalllllll crowned western, The hat might reveal some secrets if there are any labels behind the sweatband, inside the hat. Doesn't look like you could do much more harm to the sweat, but be careful not to tear it any more, anyway. Post some pics of any labels you come up with.

Whatever you find, or decide about the history of this one, it's a real beauty!!

Last edited:

Debussychopin

New in Town
Hey guys
So I've been looking at getting a dark grey large brimmed fedora (2.75 in around there)
And had considered Stetson stratoliner and the Biltmore Selkirk London grey hat but found out these aren't dark enough.

I have been now considering squatter on the hats direct site (open crown) in carbon grey.

I know the squatter is a type of ranch/rural hat. I was wondering if shapes into a diamond or teardrop, if it would take on the shape of a fedora or just look awkward due to some other component of the squatter i don't know of?
Thanks

Jalpa85

New in Town
Thanks for the replay hatsRme. I'll post a photo of the hat "sleeve?" that is in the box. It fits the box and the hat fits the "sleeve". If the "sleeve" is original to the box then it would be to short for a tall hat. There would be enough room for two of the "sleeves" and hats. IMG_0823.JPG As for the hat, I searched everywhere but can find nothing else. Dinerman posted a photo of a crest in his thread "Identifying hats by sweatbands: The Guide" on April 7, 2009 that is the same crest although it is newer or older as it has more detail.

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Hey guys
So I've been looking at getting a dark grey large brimmed fedora (2.75 in around there)
And had considered Stetson stratoliner and the Biltmore Selkirk London grey hat but found out these aren't dark enough.

I have been now considering squatter on the hats direct site (open crown) in carbon grey.

I know the squatter is a type of ranch/rural hat. I was wondering if shapes into a diamond or teardrop, if it would take on the shape of a fedora or just look awkward due to some other component of the squatter i don't know of?
Thanks
if you get it open crown you should be easily able to shape it. In this thread towards the end
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/monster-bash-videos-show-us-how-you-bash.85436/page-16
i steam and shape a similar hat, the campdraft, into a diamond.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Hey guys

Thanks
20170428_123239-1.jpg
Biltmore Selkirk (Rosellini finish) in London Grey is pretty dark, don't you think?

Debussychopin

New in Town
Very true. I'll look for another pic. This is a NOS Canadian Selkirk from Hats Plus in Chicago. Maybe the "Texan" Biltmore is dyed lighter? View attachment 78961
Is that the same hat?
I don't know. The one remaining on their site is made in USA but they told me all felts and colors remained the same except for lining and labels so forth. This pic is pretty sweet. I don't mind if my grey hat looks like this. Bob you know anything about akubra , specifically squatter?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Is that the same hat?
I don't know. The one remaining on their site is made in USA but they told me all felts and colors remained the same except for lining and labels so forth. This pic is pretty sweet. I don't mind if my grey hat looks like this. Bob you know anything about akubra , specifically squatter?
Sent you a PM. No comparison in quality and color dyes between NOS Canadian and those made here. Sorry. Not the same animal. Yes it is the same hat. Only have one and I was lucky to get it 2 yrs ago. I was just told they do have some NOS Canadians left in stock. You need to CALL them though cuz they have to search through inventory.

cpd670

New in Town
So how do you all store your hats?
I have slatwall tower with a bunch of shelves and I keep all of my hats turned on their crowns.
DSCN2411.JPG

I keep eyeing the slatwall hooks but have no idea if they would hurt my hats or not.
There are several different styles. I've also saw some at a local shop that were a big "U" and your hat would rest on the brim while upside down, but I can find anything like them online.
round hat.jpg
slatwall western.jpg
slatwall cowboy.jpg

I know boxes would be ideal but I wear a different hat everyday and having to store and dig through a bunch of boxes would get irritating.

So how do you all store your hats?
I have slatwall tower with a bunch of shelves and I keep all of my hats turned on their crowns.

I keep eyeing the slatwall hooks but have no idea if they would hurt my hats or not.
There are several different styles. I've also saw some at a local shop that were a big "U" and your hat would rest on the brim while upside down, but I can find anything like them online.

I know boxes would be ideal but I wear a different hat everyday and having to store and dig through a bunch of boxes would get irritating.

We have a hat storage thread on here that may help. Most of us with larger collections (mine's medium at 60+) have a tendency to spread them out. I have a hat tree for my high rotations, hooks for medium and overflow, and boxes for off-season and real collectors items. I rotate many out of the boxes seasonally.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Debussychopin

New in Town
I bought a few clear plastic sweater boxes w a snap lid from Container Store I think each one is 6 bux, they're perfect for a standard sized fedora. It is a perfect size for one.

I think it really helps bc unless you regularly brush the hats, dust and lint in the air accumulates and can get a bit caked on where it won't brush out (not that it happened on my hats, but like on certain areas of my desk or cabinet I find the collected dust stuck on there if not cleared off regularly)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21