Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Does Walmart sell solar eclipse sunglasses?
You can do what you want, but I wouldn't trust my eyesight to anything they'd sell at Walmart. :eek:

You've reached enough posts that no status is needed. Your uniqueness is implied.
You might be on to something here Bob. Either that, or they've run out of catchy status phrases for anyone who spends that much time here. :cool:

christysmanandboy

New in Town
IMG_0972.JPG looking for some help sourcing one of these vintage rounders, any help would be greatly appreciated

B1ggles

Familiar Face
I'm off to Milan in a few weeks, are there any decent hat shops there? I don't mean fashion shops, obviously, maybe I should have said Proper Hat shops.

I'm in particular need of a new panama. Initially I thought I should be in need of a milan but a brief look at Wikipedia seems to show that milan hats are nothing to do with Milan but are made of milan straw.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I'm off to Milan in a few weeks, are there any decent hat shops there? I don't mean fashion shops, obviously, maybe I should have said Proper Hat shops.

I'm in particular need of a new panama. Initially I thought I should be in need of a milan but a brief look at Wikipedia seems to show that milan hats are nothing to do with Milan but are made of milan straw.

I'm not sure , but @Daniele Tanto lives in Italy , I think south , but not sure . I'm sure he would know , plus he would possibly have access to something fantastic in your size . PM him and ask .

Glouie

New in Town
My 50s Stetson sweatband cord is torn at the back seam. Can I carefully use silicone sealant to patch the break? Its only about an 1/8th inch but the green inner cord inside can come off on your nail with a light scrape.
20170819_144257.jpg

Most of my hats are later late 1940s-1960s what are the typical dimensions of fedoras for each decade 1910s-1950s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All over the map, James. I'd suggest you take a look at some of the ads threads (Mallory MADness, Nothing but Stetson Ads, Miller-Stockman catalog). You can see the styles being advertised through the years. I'd link but I'm on my phone and that makes looking up and posting links difficult.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

jamesmac1801

One of the Regulars
All over the map, James. I'd suggest you take a look at some of the ads threads (Mallory MADness, Nothing but Stetson Ads, Miller-Stockman catalog). You can see the styles being advertised through the years. I'd link but I'm on my phone and that makes looking up and posting links difficult.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Thanks for the advice . Trying to get a general idea on brim width and crown height to distinguish one decade from another

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the advice . Trying to get a general idea on brim width and crown height to distinguish one decade from another

dimensions will not tell you decade
once you develop a keen eye for hats simply looking at dimensions might give you a round about ball park but is it the last thing you want to use to date a hat

a lot of times you can see a hat from the 1900s to 1920s and tell it is most likely not a 50s hat ... but dating a hat by dimensions is not the way to go

I have 50s hats that could pass for a 30s style all day ... so

dating hats is a mysterious science that most of us around here waste countless hours trying to master :)

it's all about the innards

jamesmac1801

One of the Regulars
dimensions will not tell you decade
once you develop a keen eye for hats simply looking at dimensions might give you a round about ball park but is it the last thing you want to use to date a hat

a lot of times you can see a hat from the 1900s to 1920s and tell it is most likely not a 50s hat ... but dating a hat by dimensions is not the way to go

I have 50s hats that could pass for a 30s style all day ... so

dating hats is a mysterious science that most of us around here waste countless hours trying to master :)

it's al about the innards

Yeah I know linings are the best way to tell I'm more interested in which hats I have the can pass for older . Lol

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Yeah I know linings are the best way to tell I'm more interested in which hats I have the can pass for older . Lol

I suggest looking at photos from the era you wish to emulate and see what you have that matches up

movie stills are great and so are just random photos from an era

these two threads will help greatly ... they are long and some photos have gone to digital heaven but so worth it

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/movie-hats.36280/

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-non-shorpy-web-all-stars.56296/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner