Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paravians

New in Town
The answer from the seller was:
The articles 43997 and 48456 are only different in the material. The article 43997 is with very soft rabbit and the other 48456 is only animal hair. So it is not so soft, as the 43997. That is the only difference.
Can wool be considered animal hair... meh gonna send another email to them to find out.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Long time lurker here, now I have finally created an account, at the moment just for this question:
Stetson has given exclusivity for the European market to a German company, which carries only a fraction of their catalogue. Some hats are the same as in the USA (in fact I got a Sardis made in USA), others are unique to here (EU) and made who knows how and where.
Now I am shopping for a Stratoliner, which here comes in two flavours.
One is the model with the 'airplane' pin just like the one sold in the US (DelMonico etc.) here
the price is a whopping £289 (~374USD).
The other is a Stratoliner never seen on American markets (without the airplane pin, different colours, lining etc.) here. The cost is a more reasonable £129 (~167USD).
Upon my inquiry about the differences, I was told that the expensive one is made of 'soft' rabbit and the 'cheap' one was animal fur (?) thus stiffer (?).
Could anyone with more experience than me have a look at the two links above and post their opinion? Whatever I choose I feel like I get ripped off either way.
No way at those prices. Current production Stetsons no matter what the quality are not worth their prices. Chose Esther Weis Millinery (Belgium) and see her thread for a custom.

Paravians

New in Town
I have four Stetson caps (including one in silk and wool which is wonderful), and two Stetson hats. I must say the overall quality is top notch so is the service from these German folks. The Sardis I got it in person in Cork (Ireland) and it's also lovely and fits perfectly. That's why I wanted to stick to Stetson, sizing is also important. Imagine waiting weeks then having to return a hat to Au and wait another month, etc.
My only issue is why there are two different Stratoliners in EU instead of one (with the airplane pin) like in the US.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, I wouldn't buy the cheap one, because from the online photos the quality of the felt looks not great. Nor would I spend that much money for a rabbit felt version of a Strat, pin or no pin.

If you insist on throwing money at Stetson for having the Stetson name (which, believe me, I've done, just look at the hat in my avatar) then buy the expensive one. I don't see any reason why you can't find a thin ribbon hat for less cash though.

Paravians

New in Town
I would never spend 374USD on any hat, Stetson or not. And at the moment I don't feel like buying the cheaper version either, don't like the look of that mysterious felt, just like jlee said. If I didn't know better (as said, I've been buying from Stetson EU, no problems at all), I would say that the cheap one looks like a knockoff of the real Stratoliner.
So for now I will do nothing, except I've just sent another email to the German company asking what material exactly it is made of, hope in a reply less vague than before.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Stetson won't reveal their exact blend of fur felt, and they state as much on their US website.

Stetson has western hats made from Buffalo fur felt... so who knows what they blend together for the less expensive Strat you've been viewing.

I'd look at ebay for a vintage hat, or go with Esther Weis for a custom. Or, like Karl suggests, grab an Akubra Camp Draft.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I would never spend 374USD on any hat, Stetson or not. And at the moment I don't feel like buying the cheaper version either, don't like the look of that mysterious felt, just like jlee said. If I didn't know better (as said, I've been buying from Stetson EU, no problems at all), I would say that the cheap one looks like a knockoff of the real Stratoliner.
So for now I will do nothing, except I've just sent another email to the German company asking what material exactly it is made of, hope in a reply less vague than before.
What's the matter...? You don't like custom? You don't like Esther?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
No way at those prices. Current production Stetsons no matter what the quality are not worth their prices. Chose Esther Weis Millinery (Belgium) and see her thread for a custom.
Couldn't agree more, if you really want to go for a top end hat go to Christys of London. But I agree with Bob, here's why. First photo is a Stetson bought on line from San Diego, it cost me a total of about £190, that included purchase, shipping and import duty. The second hat is a strat-look-a-like made by Esther, it cost a little less than the Stetson. Both are beautiful hats, both wear well, both resist rain, although I wouldn't recommend you let a felt hat get soaked. In value both are acceptable. But Esther does put a little bit of effort in pleasing her customers. She really is a great milliner and a customer orientated supplier, nothing ever seems too much trouble. Here's the hats.
hats 001.JPG Esther-hat 001.JPG

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Second one says fur felt in the description...also says 100% animal hair...

That's the clue to me

Well, I wouldn't buy the cheap one, because from the online photos the quality of the felt looks not great. Nor would I spend that much money for a rabbit felt version of a Strat, pin or no pin.

That cheap hat almost looks like one of those craft felt hats with the pressed -in crease you can buy off of ebay for $5 for three of them.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Couldn't agree more, if you really want to go for a top end hat go to Christys of London. But I agree with Bob, here's why. First photo is a Stetson bought on line from San Diego, it cost me a total of about £190, that included purchase, shipping and import duty. The second hat is a strat-look-a-like made by Esther, it cost a little less than the Stetson. Both are beautiful hats, both wear well, both resist rain, although I wouldn't recommend you let a felt hat get soaked. In value both are acceptable. But Esther does put a little bit of effort in pleasing her customers. She really is a great milliner and a customer orientated supplier, nothing ever seems too much trouble. Here's the hats.
View attachment 85004 View attachment 85005
I swear you look great in everything you wear,
You got style!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

there is no "real" modern Stratoliner ... it doesn't exist

what you see are modern replicas of what once was a beautiful hat with the name Stetson stamped on it ... which also no longer exists.

if you held a real Stratoliner in your left hand and a modern replica in your right you would put what's in your left hand on your head and wash the car with your right

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR