Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Yes, I believe it's a Selentino. The price was too attractive to pass up. I'm currently buying "beater" hats, so this fits right in!

I'm thinking much the same thing. The Mallory I got from @Redfokker has a slightly wider brim. On the other hand, I bought a Stetson bush hat earlier this year that had a 3" brim and I think it looks terrible on me. I'll look into a Campdraft, but what I've seen so far doesn't sing to me...

Thanks!

I get what you're saying. I can also attest that a lot (most?) of us don't like how we look on broader brimmed hats until we get used to them. Try one and just give it some time. You do wear stingy brims well, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone who doesn't look good in the modestly wider brims. By all means, keep the stingy brims but try working in the wider brims too.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I ended up ordering a Stetson Chatham in Caribou. How is the overall stiffness compared to something like the Temple or Stratoliner?

As it happens, a Chatham was my first fur felt fedora. I bought one new in 1982, and I don't wanna tell you what it cost back then. It'll bring tears to your eyes.

It's a machine-creased crown. Not overly stiff, but it wasn't very good at accepting changes in crease design. It liked to stay the way it came from the factory.

Mine, back then, had some very smooth felt. It's a pretty compact hat - not as big/tall as many of the hats I have purchased subsequently, but a nice 'wear tilted back on the head' type of lid. I am sorry I sold it.

Rockwater

A-List Customer
I post everything directly from my phone, skip the computer, and no resizing necessary.
A tutorial is in order for some of our less technical (me) members. I know it has been done before, but a refresher course would be wonderful.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a techie either, but it's rather simple to go from phone photo to post. That's assuming one is not still sporting a flip phone!
Take photo
Scroll to bottom of thread you wish to post on
Tap upload file
Tap choose file
Choose photo library, tap photo
Opt for full image
Insert text
Tap post reply
I suspect that this process is facilitated by having the Tapatalk app installed, but I access FL directly from my browser.
Hope this helps, I haven't opened my laptop in years, expcept for a photoshop endeavor.

Rockwater

A-List Customer
Tapatalk is 1000X easier

you just hit the little photo icon
pick the photo
hit done
hit reply

Thanks, 1000x worth a try!
My method was a stumble upon

Just tried and indeed it is less steps.
What I lost in that method was the graphic layout of the site, the black background etc, which I find appealing.
Perhaps there is a way to get the best of both worlds?

Last edited:
Greetings folks: Does anybody know where the Vita-Felt? thread went? I just get Lounge Error when i try to look at the bookmark. I know it was at least 12 pages of pure joy. What the heck!! I needa Vita-Fix!! Be well. Bowen

It's listed as a "work in progress." I'm guessing it is not accessible while it is being edited? Just a guess; I've never looked at that thread as I have never come across a Vita-Felt in my size.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/links-to-important-hat-forum-threads.52584/

Richard Morgan

One Too Many
Greetings fellow loungers. I too have had issues with Woolite fading liner crests. Specifically, Stetson 100 and 50 7x. Really bummed me out. Both were vintage with the gold crest. I’m not sure if it was just that type crest but i don’t intend to experiment with others.
After research i found a product used by antique quilt collectors to remove yellowing etc. from age seen on antique quilts and clothing. The product is called “Retro Clean”. It is a soak powder added to water. I suggest you Google it and read the testimonials and specifics. It’s pricey but so are my hats. I ordered online as it doesn’t seem to be sold elsewhere.
I used it on an uber old Borsalino Gargasu liner that was so fragile it was shredding and yellow like an old window curtain and a two toned embroidered Dobbs Rainbow liner. Fabulous results! No fading or bleeding of the Dobbs and the Borsa seemed much less friable. I think it prudent to use less powder than called for to be cautious. I will def use it in the future but please use your own discretion.
I don’t know how it works on ink marks, hair crease or other unknown crud but would be interested in hearing others experiences in this topic. Be well. Bowen
Moon, thanks for doing the "leg work" on this. I was to the point where I thought I would just leave liners as I got them instead of risking fading the crests.

Pinč

New in Town
I already wrote to the manufacturer about the issue, I wonder what solution will he suggest. Sending the hat back is the last thing I want to do, but perhaps there won't be other way...
So the manufacturer replied to me that he is sorry but it is hard to say whose "fault" it is. I agree with him that perhaps it's Tonak that makes hats slightly larger (all my other hats are from Tonak). He suggested geting the hat stretcher as well. However, I am still undecided which one should I buy. The hat jack looks the best but they come in sizes. Small is from 6 1/2 to 7 1/8 and medium from 7 1/8 to 7 1/2. I believe that if I am 56, the small should be fine, but I might be close to 57 (7 1/8), so I am no sure. I am not able to measure my own head with such precision. So what do you think, small or medium hat jack?

Richard Morgan

One Too Many
So the manufacturer replied to me that he is sorry but it is hard to say whose "fault" it is. I agree with him that perhaps it's Tonak that makes hats slightly larger (all my other hats are from Tonak). He suggested geting the hat stretcher as well. However, I am still undecided which one should I buy. The hat jack looks the best but they come in sizes. Small is from 6 1/2 to 7 1/8 and medium from 7 1/8 to 7 1/2. I believe that if I am 56, the small should be fine, but I might be close to 57 (7 1/8), so I am no sure. I am not able to measure my own head with such precision. So what do you think, small or medium hat jack?
The hat jacks I've seen have plenty of play beyond the size they are listed for. Go with a small and even if you go to a 57 you should still have plenty of room to stretch or hold a shape.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
the manufacturer blamed the felt supplier ?

then they want you to stretch the hat instead of send it back for one that fits ?

doesn't sound like anyone I would buy a hat from again

I would recommend a band block over a hat jack ... it is good to have both I guess ... but I cannot remember the last time I even touched my hat jack and my band block gets pretty regular use and is probably the best investment a hat enthusiast can own

then they want you to stretch the hat instead of send it back for one that fits ?

I would recommend a band block over a hat jack ... it is good to have both I guess ... but I cannot remember the last time I even touched my hat jack and my band block gets pretty regular use and is probably the best investment a hat enthusiast can own
+1 Word!

You can always add some weather stripping to the hat jack if you need it to go just a bit bigger.

If the hat is too small to start with it will be tough to get a band block into the hat, but Moon turned me on to them a few months ago and they work great for a few uses.

https://www.hatterssupplyhouse.com/band-blocks

Pinč

New in Town

Not the felt supplier, but here is the full reply:

Very sorry to hear about your size issue. We measure all of our hats throughout production and again just before placing them in the hat boxes, so usually we are pretty confident that the size is right. Sizes may differ a bit between manufacturers, it might be that Tonak's 56 is actually larger than 56cm. Or, perhaps we haven't been as thorough as I like to believe. From your picture however I can see that there's still space between the tape and the hat, and measuring width a tape like that really isn't that accurate.

Nevertheless, I will do whatever I can to help you out!

The leather sweatband has the amazing ability to both expand and contract. If you wear your hat a lot, the heat and moisture from your head will cause the hat to expand slightly and take the shape of your head. If you leave it a warm place however, it may shrink as much as half a size.
What you can do is to lightly steam it on the outside, before pulling it down tight over your head.

Personally I prefer my hats to be on the small side when they are new, but it really is a matter of preference.

If you have a lot of high quality hats, I can highly recommend getting yourself a hat stretcher. It will help you keep the shape of your hats and is able to help you out if a hat gets too small.
If we had them in the shop, I would send you one for free, but you can pick one up on either amazon or eBay for very cheap.

If you are not comfortable with doing it yourself, you can also send it to us and we can do it for you, but it will hardly be worth the shipping back and forth.

Hope this helps, be sure to let me know how it works out or if there's anything else I can do :)

I am not sure what to think about this whole issue. And thanks for the advice.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Not the felt supplier, but here is the full reply:

I am not sure what to think about this whole issue. And thanks for the advice.
sounds like a half assed answer to me to be honest... you should be accommodated with a hat that fits regardless of what the number of the size tag says and conflicts between manufacturer sizing

... and I don't recommend steaming the inside of your hat ever

RJR

sounds like a half assed answer to me to be honest... you should be accommodated with a hat that fits regardless of what the number of the size tag says and conflicts between manufacturer sizing

... and I don't recommend steaming the inside of your hat ever
+1

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Add my vote for Silverbelly or one of the lighter shades. I also think you should try something with a brim width of 2 5/8 to 2 3/4. I think that with a few days of wear you'll like how you look in the wider brims. Perhaps a Campdraft in Silverbelly?

OK, based on your comments I went to Everything Australian and given the favorable exchange rate and three month wait time, decided to order a Campdraft in Silver Belly. Unfortunately, something is amiss with either their web site or my payment/shipping options, so I'm left in limbo right now. I'm going to try again in a bit, or reach out to EA for assistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW