Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
New guy here. I had always thought I was a 7 3/8 picked up a very nice late 60's resistol fedora on ebay and it was really tight. Decided I wanted a new hat and just ordered a stetson temple from amazon and ordered a 7 1/2 based on the fit of the resistol. The temple is Kind of loose I can get a finger in the front with it on if I push. It touches comfortably front and rear but has room on the sides. Will it shrink as I wear it or should I return for a 7 3/8 or just put some of the thin blue foam that was in the box as packing behind the sweat band? is there a way to shrink it quickly?

I just added about 6" of the thin foam on each side and it feels really good.

opinions?

sounds like you are a 7 1/2 LO

larry faulkner

New in Town
Got the 7 3/8 temple royal deluxe today and it is just a little snug. After wearing it about 4 or 5 hours its has settled in and will break in to my head nicely. Now for my question. My 60's Resistol is a little too tight it is marked as a 7 3/8 but has shrunk from age. I have treated the sweat bend with Oberhaufs oil and it has softened up. I ordered a hat stretcher from the bay. So what is best to use to stretch it a little steam? spraying a little rubbing alcohol or just water? Then tighten up the stretcher? The hat is mint it is a 737 Kings Beaver kitten feel with a stingy brim about 1 3/4 brim with a cavanah edge
So really need some tips for stretching.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Got the 7 3/8 temple royal deluxe today and it is just a little snug. After wearing it about 4 or 5 hours its has settled in and will break in to my head nicely. Now for my question. My 60's Resistol is a little too tight it is marked as a 7 3/8 but has shrunk from age. I have treated the sweat bend with Oberhaufs oil and it has softened up. I ordered a hat stretcher from the bay. So what is best to use to stretch it a little steam? spraying a little rubbing alcohol or just water? Then tighten up the stretcher? The hat is mint it is a 737 Kings Beaver kitten feel with a stingy brim about 1 3/4 brim with a cavanah edge
Differing opinions on this. This is what I do. A little steam and stretch. Don’t over do it. I stretch a bit and let it set overnight. Remove the stretcher and give it a try. If still to small repeat until you get the fit you want.

daddy0d0

A-List Customer
Anyone know if AustralianGear, Hatdirect, or EverythingAustralian have any discount coupons? Looking to buy a Akubra Balmoral straw.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Did you say rubbing alcohol?

Yeah... don’t do that

Hit it with steam and persuade it very slowly ... for the best results leave the stretcher in for a while ... a few hours even

It may take a few goes

glider

A-List Customer
I have used water from a pump sprayer, just enough to get the felt and sweat band damp. I will leave it on the stretcher for a few days. It is important to not try to much at first, you can damage the hat if you're to aggressive .

Unless you have a custom made especially for your head you may find that sizing strips are still needed.

Have you considered, are you a Long Oval?
That would possibly account for the gap, at the sides of your head, so perhaps a trip into a hat store looking and trying on rack hats, will help you identify with this.

returning to amazon and ordered a 7 3/8 that will be delivered tomorrow. Liked the hat but want it to fit without foam

I responded at another post. Have you considered that you might just be a long oval, not regular oval. That would account for gaps at the sides and the need for the foam shims. If I can ever be of any help, give me a shout.
It might require me to get a block made, but I'll fit you better than any store bought hat, and I accomplish that fit, in discussion even if 6000 miles away.

Did you say rubbing alcohol?

Yeah... don’t do that

Hit it with steam and persuade it very slowly ... for the best results leave the stretcher in for a while ... a few hours even

It may take a few goes

Like Moon said, you always sneak up on a strech, and like he said let it sit hours. But do know it can take several days too.
And if you can get your fingers up behind your hat jack, feel the tension on your leather, as you reach a tight feel, stop. Let it sit. Day 2 try it on. If still tight, get the jack back in and creep up on it a little more, still feeling the sweat, and tension on it. Day 3, give it a try again. Always just trying to gain a little, each time. I've done mien dry, with success and no blowouts. Hope it adds some extra help.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
Had a general question between Beaver and Stable bodies from Winchester. Not looking for prices but the approximate delta between the two out of curiosity. Talking to one person a while back I believe they were like 1/2 the price? Does that sound correct?

Had a general question between Beaver and Stable bodies from Winchester. Not looking for prices but the approximate delta between the two out of curiosity. Talking to one person a while back I believe they were like 1/2 the price? Does that sound correct?
I'll say this, although there may be a small gap in prices between the 2 products there is one thing that isn't considered in the overall production of a hat. Prep time of felt.

DRESS WEIGHT STAPLE: For me to get a staple rabbit body to "bone up" for it to take a good pounce, AND, to have a fine finish; this is a challenge far beyond a Taylor's iron. And I don't even know if a ridiculously priced crown iron is even the answer to boning up bunny felt. But if you saw what I do to a staple hare felt, before I even put paper to it, you'd scratch your head and say wow...

Beaver 100 - it is more user friendly, so I've found. I still iron it very well, it is an absolute must. These felts ARE, 2 different beasts to finish.

Let's not confuse user friendly, with quality of work in the finished product either. You look at say 10 guys on Instagram, all using beaver 100, many different levels of learned skill; and to the human eye that can see this, it's evidentiary in the works of many. Same product, but a different look to felt finish. Why, it's all learned skill.

Just saying this in case folks are trying to understand pricing on bunny build vs. beaver build, to embrace the entire picture of the craft and what goes into the processes of making it work.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Barry-MI

New in Town
Like Moon said, you always sneak up on a strech, and like he said let it sit hours. But do know it can take several days too.
And if you can get your fingers up behind your hat jack, feel the tension on your leather, as you reach a tight feel, stop. Let it sit. Day 2 try it on. If still tight, get the jack back in and creep up on it a little more, still feeling the sweat, and tension on it. Day 3, give it a try again. Always just trying to gain a little, each time. I've done mien dry, with success and no blowouts. Hope it adds some extra help.
I'm between sizes, 7 1/8 is a little snug (but not tight) and 7 1/4 is definitely loose. I prefer to get 7 1/4 and after several wearings, fiollowed by short periods left in the car, it shrinks to a perfect fit.

Ken David

One of the Regulars
Wondering if anybody could confirm if the edge treatment on this Royal Stetson is not original. It appears to be a raw edge with a single contrasting stitch. Interested in any opinions. Thanks.

UmcjrE3.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Wondering if anybody could confirm if the edge treatment on this Royal Stetson is not original. It appears to be a raw edge with a single contrasting stitch. Interested in any opinions. Thanks.

UmcjrE3.jpg

Greetings All:
Hey KD, that’s a Playboy i’m pretty certain. If so then it’s original or else my twin to that one isn’t either.
Be well. Bowen

Ken David

One of the Regulars
is it a Playboy ?

why would you think it is not original ?

Got this for a Christmas gift (I picked it out on ebay :)) lovely bluish gray color, liner says "royal Stetson" was on ebay not of interest for most since the sweat was not original. Real nice soft subltle felt, just figured it was maybe a conversion? Brim 2 3/4" and Open Crown 5 1/4" (incorrectly posted at 6"). Great color and cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner