Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
image.jpg
Thanks for the info Bowen...do you happen to have any pics of your twin posted? Thanks.
Greetings All:
Hey KD: do now! It was my first hat. Didn’t know how lucky i was to sneak it outta the bay from all these Pros. It was an “outrageous” $80 i thought! Ha Ha all around now!!.
Be well. Bowen

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Got this for a Christmas gift (I picked it out on ebay :)) lovely bluish gray color, liner says "royal Stetson" was on ebay not of interest for most since the sweat was not original. Real nice soft subltle felt, just figured it was maybe a conversion? Brim 2 3/4" and Open Crown 5 1/4" (incorrectly posted at 6"). Great color and cheap.
looks like a Playboy to me

Ken David

One of the Regulars
View attachment 103899
Greetings All:
Hey KD: do now! It was my first hat. Didn’t know how lucky i was to sneak it outta the bay from all these Pros. It was an “outrageous” $80 i thought! Ha Ha all around now!!.
Be well. Bowen
Thanks for the Pic Bowen!
looks like a Playboy to me
Thanks for the info Moon....never would of imagined owning a playboy due to they being sought after. Just wanted a blue hat.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the Pic Bowen!

Thanks for the info Moon....never would of imagined owning a playboy due to they being sought after. Just wanted a blue hat.
Greetings All:
Hey KD, i’m curious what the tags etc. under the sweat say. Wonder what block is used? Mine’s a d122.
Be Well. Bowen
PS: don’t chance messing up the band or stitches please. Just curious. B

larry faulkner

New in Town
Thanks to all who offered advice on stretching my hats. Got my stretcher from ebay today and now with a little steam and pressure my stetson and my resistol fit great. The stretcher allowed me to turn both hats into more of a long oval to fit my noggin. I just ordered a second one so I can store the hats on them to maintain the fit . This is the one I bought and it worked perfect. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Delu...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

TunedVWGti

One of the Regulars
h1.jpg h2.jpg Curious if anyone might know what hat this is? I think it's a Stetson Rancher... I got it at Goodwill for under $15! I love it...doesn't take great pictures, but it has a great feel. I like how stiff the brim is, but the crown is really soft and supple.

The brim is 3 3/4" aprox. ( a little under 4") and the crown is in between 5 1/8" or 5 1/4"

Hope the pic uploads worked...

Regardless. I was glad to score it for so cheap... All of my other hats have lower crowns of around 4 1/4".... I like the higher crown here.

Last edited:

RJR

View attachment 104091 View attachment 104092 Curious if anyone might know what hat this is? I think it's a Stetson Rancher... I got it at Goodwill for under $15! I love it...doesn't take great pictures, but it has a great feel. I like how stiff the brim is, but the crown is really soft and supple.

The brim is 3 3/4" aprox. ( a little under 4") and the crown is in between 5 1/8" or 5 1/4"

Regardless. I was glad to score it for so cheap... All of my other hats have lower crowns of around 4 1/4".... I like the higher crown here.
Its good looking,a real score at that price.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 104091 View attachment 104092 Curious if anyone might know what hat this is? I think it's a Stetson Rancher... I got it at Goodwill for under $15! I love it...doesn't take great pictures, but it has a great feel. I like how stiff the brim is, but the crown is really soft and supple.

Good score, especially at that price!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Curious if anyone might know what hat this is? I think it's a Stetson Rancher... I got it at Goodwill for under $15! I love it...doesn't take great pictures, but it has a great feel. I like how stiff the brim is, but the crown is really soft and supple.

Looks great and it's a score. I would buy it too.
Unless it have a paper tag behind the sweat, nothing much can be said. It's what I call a Stetson of 5x of something.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Thanks to all who offered advice on stretching my hats. Got my stretcher from ebay today and now with a little steam and pressure my stetson and my resistol fit great. The stretcher allowed me to turn both hats into more of a long oval to fit my noggin. I just ordered a second one so I can store the hats on them to maintain the fit . This is the one I bought and it worked perfect. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Deluxe-Hallett-Ceder-and-Pine-Hat-Stretcher-3-in-tall-7-to-size-9/202201981679?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I use a hat block to stretch hats a bit, but perhaps more importantly, I rub some shea butter around the part of the block where the sweat will contact it. Shea butter is an all-natural plant-based moisturizer used by, among other people, hand drummers who play drums with natural skin heads. It does wonders for my dried out hands.

If you decide to buy some for sweatband purposes, get a pure form and not some commercial product that 'contains' shea butter.

larry faulkner

New in Town
Still new to this hat thing. Who makes the best modern/new fur felt fedoras? I am in the Chicago area and was looking at optimos web site and they can custom make a hat for me but their $$$ is it worth the cash?

Still new to this hat thing. Who makes the best modern/new fur felt fedoras? I am in the Chicago area and was looking at optimos web site and they can custom make a hat for me but their $$$ is it worth the cash?

It is if you feel it is. Plus, they do have the advantage of touching and trying on to see how you like your look. And Tifany! Her suggestions can keep a beginner from going too far astray. All that costs money, of course. Once you get comfortable with what works for you (and don't forget, that, too will change) try one of the great hatters hanging their hats around here. There is a list under the sticky, "links to important Hat Threads." You'll find talented folks like Tim, of Ally Kat Hats, or Art Fawcett of Vintage Silhouettes, Esther Weiss, and on.

Have Fun!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Every facet of Optimo's operation is top notch. Tiffani is a gem and really knows her stuff. Their felts are sourced from wild furs and processed by FEPSA in Portugal. Other makers also source from FEPSA, but Optimo gets exclusive color runs. And their colors are gorgeous. I'm currently coveting Gunsmoke, Space, and their Silverbelly.

Now I just need a grand, lol.

The nuanced answer is that there are many talented hat makers producing hats that equal Optimo in quality, and depending on one's taste in hats, might be better suited for you. Optimo tends to favor a shorter, more tapered crown. They of course have the blocks to make taller, straighter hats (my Dillinger is blocked on a #52) but their default styling is a little modern for me.

Tim @ Alley Kat, Art @ VS, and Esther are all super talented. You might also take a peek at the Northwest Hats, Penman Hats, or if you've got time to wait, get in the queue with Bob @ Black Sheep Hatworks.

Last edited:

Wether it's "worth the cash" is a personal decision only you can make. Optimo make great hats, but I'd never consider one because of the price. There are lots of custom hatters who make excellent hats at a range of prices. I'd add Gannon the the list of custom makers that deserve a look, but there are several more too. I will say that if your willing to spend $300-450 you can get an excellent 100% beaver fur felt hat that will fit you perfectly and be made to your exact specifications. When you think about it, that is an incredible bargain for a handmade item in this age of mass production. I drool over Optimo hats, but to me they are not any higher quality than some of the others already mentioned at a fraction of the price.

My current favorites (In no particular order):

https://gannonhatcompany.com

http://www.northwesthats.com

https://vscustomhats.com

The others listed are probably just as nice, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

Wether it's "worth the cash" is a personal decision only you can make. Optimo make great hats, but I'd never consider one because of the price. There are lots of custom hatters who make excellent hats at a range of prices. I'd add Gannon the the list of custom makers that deserve a look, but there are several more too. I will say that if your willing to spend $300-450 you can get an excellent 100% beaver fur felt hat that will fit you perfectly and be made to your exact specifications. When you think about it, that is an incredible bargain for a handmade item in this age of mass production. I drool over Optimo hats, but to me they are not any higher quality than some of the others already mentioned at a fraction of the price.

My current favorites (In no particular order):

https://gannonhatcompany.com

http://www.northwesthats.com

https://vscustomhats.com

The others listed are probably just as nice, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

I just picked up a rabbit felt from Mike at NorthWest Hats and was thrilled with the quality. It has me wondering now if I should spend the $$$ bothering to go with a beaver felt for my next hat. Seriously wondering if it is worth the extra dollars. When it is on my head no one will be able to tell if it is rabbit or beaver. Perhaps if I was in my 20's and wanted a hat to last a lifetime then beaver would be the choice but at my age I will never wear out this rabbit. If funds are a concern don't rule out of hand the choice of rabbit from one of these fine custom hatters.

I just picked up a rabbit felt from Mike at NorthWest Hats and was thrilled with the quality. It has me wondering now if I should spend the $$$ bothering to go with a beaver felt for my next hat. Seriously wondering if it is worth the extra dollars. When it is on my head no one will be able to tell if it is rabbit or beaver. Perhaps if I was in my 20's and wanted a hat to last a lifetime then beaver would be the choice but at my age I will never wear out this rabbit. If funds are a concern don't rule out of hand the choice of rabbit from one of these fine custom hatters.

I've also heard that Mike's recent techniques in pouncing rabbit is second to none.

I've also heard that Mike's recent techniques in pouncing rabbit is second to none.

I've only seen pics of Ally Kat Hats, but what I hear about Tim's refined approach to rabbit would indicate he's also in that elite pouncing group. I can say with complete confidence, owning lids from all three, that Custom Hatters of Buffalo, (Gary White) Vintage Silhouettes, (Art Fawcett) and Black Sheep Hat Works, (Bob Jessee) are also in this league of perfect pouncers! POUNCE ON PROUDLY, Pals!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner