Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
I could be wrong but i’d wear the heck outta it and tell the daughter, thanks sweetie.

@Abba .. I would wear it but she 's acquired an interest in hats and hat making a few months back and as she was perusing the goods at an antique store, she bought this one for HERSELF! She wears a smaller size than I do. :(

Does anyone know what kind of hat this is and where I can find one?

XcGVhKdm.jpg
Bucket hat with the front brim turned up?
Bucket hat was my first thought as well, but the material has me puzzled. The underside of the front of the brim looks like straw, but the crown (including the "ribbon") looks like it could have been knit or crocheted. Finding one exactly like it could be a challenge.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Anyone know what this type of stitching on a crown would be called? I seem to remember seeing a thread on them years ago but I can’t find it now.

e8f3889e17d723970053d5ee79907ee8.jpg

I’m tempted to have a replica made of Jude Law’s hat in the upcoming Fantastic Beasts movie and it features such stitching
f4bb3caa17ff8b8b47f054572f8e2420.jpg

dffca3ec9f10b8feace0edb5ab383069.jpg

2b1d49c8eec9ac8ea0a7f97cdebf3681.jpg

The brim is a bit stingy for my taste but I’m in love with that sloppy organic crease!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't usually like stingy brims but I like this one.

Yahoody

One Too Many
Never got an answer on this. Ended up with two hat blocks from the same maker described as above.

Here are the difference I have seen building on both. Althoogh both blocks are a measured 5.5 height and the same for diameter the Derby has a lot less volume in the crown than the modified dome with it's sharp edge on the top. Derby has a bunch of space you'll have to get rid of on the Derby compared to a modified Dome. The modified dome block fits my egg head shape (XL long over 7 3/8) and gives the hat some what of a flat hat / Spanish look if left alone. The derby block is a simple open crown with a small flat spot top of the crown. Either makes a good base for a cowboy hat I think.
Derby

Modified dome

YMMV

Details I missed until I had already built a hat on the Derby block was how tapered the crown is all the way around. I have to think I am mistaken that it might be a good hat block for a Western hat. The taper doesn't help the hat stay on anyone's head if fitted properly. Neat looking crown I think but not for every head shape if I my xl LO is any example. I had custom hats made by three hatters using this block shape (Derby)...and all were sub-par from good makers. Just a heads up for others. Hope it helps!
Thing

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
I tried a search here but came up non-specific.

I'm looking at the Akubra Cattleman (color undecided, but wavering between BGG, Sandtone Fawn and who knows... Does it even come in BGG?). I like the Coober Pedy but want an unlined felt hat that I can wear in cooler and warmer weather.

For those who own the Cattleman, what's your experience in warm weather? I'm sure it's a great sun hat. Comparable alternatives?

I tried a search here but came up non-specific.

I'm looking at the Akubra Cattleman (color undecided, but wavering between BGG, Sandtone Fawn and who knows... Does it even come in BGG?). I like the Coober Pedy but want an unlined felt hat that I can wear in cooler and warmer weather.

For those who own the Cattleman, what's your experience in warm weather? I'm sure it's a great sun hat. Comparable alternatives?
The Cattleman is available in Bluegrass Green through Everything Australian, but for almost every size they indicate "made to order" and you'll face the dreaded three-month wait while Akubra makes your hat.

I don't own one so I can't specifically comment on it's comfort level during warm weather, but my Campdrafts (liner, no vent holes, and a 3/8" narrower brim") get pretty warm when the temperature gets above 85°F regardless of color.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Here's a dilemma I'm struggling with: how well do the three or four eyelets (per side) you see on some hats work at ventilating a felt hat enough to make it feel better in warm weather? There are some hat models I really like, but they have those blasted eyelets in them! To me, they turn a functional hat into a leaker if you get caught in the rain. Since I wear my hats mostly as outdoor utility hats and not dress hats, and on almost any given day here in the southern Appalachians we can expect a pop-up thunderstorm, I don't see the little (if any) true ventilation you get through the tiny holes being worth the wet head.

But, being suspect of the eyelet concept I have never owned such a hat, so what's your experience?

Thanks very much,
Regan

Here's a dilemma I'm struggling with: how well do the three or four eyelets (per side) you see on some hats work at ventilating a felt hat enough to make it feel better in warm weather? There are some hat models I really like, but they have those blasted eyelets in them! To me, they turn a functional hat into a leaker if you get caught in the rain. Since I wear my hats mostly as outdoor utility hats and not dress hats, and on almost any given day here in the southern Appalachians we can expect a pop-up thunderstorm, I don't see the little (if any) true ventilation you get through the tiny holes being worth the wet head.

But, being suspect of the eyelet concept I have never owned such a hat, so what's your experience?

Thanks very much,
Regan
Hunted for years in an old style Riverina by Akubra, 3 vent holes each side. Never noticed any leakage. Venting is minial, mostly letting hot air escape, not letting cool air in. My Bushman has one hole each side for the stampede string attachment but overall, I don't care for the vent hole look in a felt hat either. The grommet usually holds in the liner that I like to remove in hotter days. HTH

TunedVWGti

One of the Regulars
I am looking to order a Stratoliner Premier and I just checked with one vendor and they said they were out of production because it's a "winter hat" and so they couldn't order them.

Does that mean if other vendors sell out they're pretty much gone until fall?

Maybe I should go ahead and order before they're gone... I don't need my arm twisted...ha ha ha

I don't own a Silverbelly hat and wanted to order one.

Thanks very much,
Regan
I don't have any fur felt hats with eyelets/grommets, but I have a hat made from recycled cotton canvas truck tarps with two on each side of the crown and the openings/holes appear to be larger than most (3/8" of an inch). That hat is definitely more comfortable in hot weather than my fur felts, but I believe that has more to do with the material than whatever venting the eyelets might offer. I've worn it in light rains and downpours and can't say I noticed any difference with regards to my hair getting wet; if it did, it was so minor that it dried almost immediately after I was out of the rain and had removed the hat. In my experience, if you're out in heavy rain long enough you're going to get wet no matter what you do. But unless someone is aiming a fire hose directly at your head, those tiny holes shouldn't be a concern.

TunedVWGti

One of the Regulars
For some reason I had never considered a strat in silverbelly, sounds pretty nice . It is about time for straw though , maybe a strat in hemp .
That's actually what spawned the desire for the Silverbelly! I just got a Hemp Stratoliner in natural and I really like it.

Stephan Bianchi

New in Town
This fedora is similar to a Panama. It may be unique in that it has an essentially radial weave. This means that it can’t be remolded – it doesn’t “drape” like bias-ply fabric.

The fiber does not resemble Carludovica palmata, the material used for true Panama hats. It may be a tansui, made in Taiwan of Pandanus odoratissimus, or it may be made of buntal, parabuntal, baku, hemp, bangora, sisal, seagrass, jute, abaca, ramie, or some other fiber.

The brim is 3” wide, the crown, 4” high. The body is 0.75mm thick. Without ornament or sweatband, the body weighs 62 grams. The leather sweatband has traces of a circular stamp on the backside and a tag was once stapled to it. It is dry and the thread that fastened it to the body has failed. The following is penciled inside the crown:
7-1/8 – obviously the size, J.H.L. – likely the customer’s initials, 516C – style?

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg
IMG_1105.jpg
IMG_1117.jpg

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This fedora is similar to a Panama. It may be unique in that it has an essentially radial weave. This means that it can’t be remolded – it doesn’t “drape” like bias-ply fabric.

The fiber does not resemble Carludovica palmata, the material used for true Panama hats. It may be a tansui, made in Taiwan of Pandanus odoratissimus, or it may be made of buntal, parabuntal, baku, hemp, bangora, sisal, seagrass, jute, abaca, ramie, or some other fiber.

The brim is 3” wide, the crown, 4” high. The body is 0.75mm thick. Without ornament or sweatband, the body weighs 62 grams. The leather sweatband has traces of a circular stamp on the backside and a tag was once stapled to it. It is dry and the thread that fastened it to the body has failed. The following is penciled inside the crown:
7-1/8 – obviously the size, J.H.L. – likely the customer’s initials, 516C – style?

View attachment 111031
View attachment 111032 View attachment 111033 View attachment 111034

This has so much potential. Keep up updated with post. This will be fun to watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm