Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John the Swede

Familiar Face
It’s common for hats intended to to have liners to not be pounced on the inside.

The ribbon looks wider than what’s on the Stratoliners and the bow keeper is definitely different. It’s a good look and it reminds me of some campaign ribbons I’ve seen.

Good to know about the hats not intending to have liners not to be pounced. I assume there's some reason for that.

Here's another shot of the bow--wasn't sure about the color choice matching at first but it's growing on me.
1531532976281581047118.jpg

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Good to know about the hats not intending to have liners not to be pounced. I assume there's some reason for that.

Here's another shot of the bow--wasn't sure about the color choice matching at first but it's growing on me. View attachment 126882
How would you pounce the inside of a hat?
Pouncers are rotatory, and it would be very difficult (and unnecessary) to fit one on the inside, wouldn't it? And if you just turned the felt inside out to pounce it, it might be difficult to calibrate the thickness of the felt, and thin it too much... Well, it's just my imagination. I've never done it, and am unlikely to do so.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Question on western hat cans: seems to me that they're all basically the same, just with different branding.

Does anybody have one they would recommend? My very old Stetson Boss Raw Edge needs good protection.

Question on western hat cans: seems to me that they're all basically the same, just with different branding.

Does anybody have one they would recommend? My very old Stetson Boss Raw Edge needs good protection.
I have 3 different ones I use mostly for storage. I look for good hinges that won't break, & easy adjustability to size. One of mine just seems to be flimsier plastic. I prefer the ones with thumb screws or wing nuts for adjustability instead of Phillips screws. I find I prefer hard cases for travel.

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

How would you pounce the inside of a hat?
Pouncers are rotatory, and it would be very difficult (and unnecessary) to fit one on the inside, wouldn't it? And if you just turned the felt inside out to pounce it, it might be difficult to calibrate the thickness of the felt, and thin it too much... Well, it's just my imagination. I've never done it, and am unlikely to do so.

On my Slats Gill Playboy clone, Mike Miller pounced the inside. I love it, it just finishes the hat so well. He didn't charge me for it, but due to the time involved, he said he probably will be charging for this feature. I don't know how he did it, maybe turning the body inside out? On a vintage, I have no idea how this process would have worked. Something to research...
Slats tip logo 12Jul17.jpg

On my Slats Gill Playboy clone, Mike Miller pounced the inside. I love it, it just finishes the hat so well. He didn't charge me for it, but due to the time involved, he said he probably will be charging for this feature. I don't know how he did it, maybe turning the body inside out? On a vintage, I have no idea how this process would have worked. Something to research... View attachment 126937

Obviously, that hat was made not have a liner. It makes sense to pounce the inside of such a hat. That’s a great hat, Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stetson Sightseer is made not to have a liner but was not pounced.

Stetson is all about making hats as cheaply as possible. Mike at Northwest is all about making fine custom hats for discriminating buyers. If the Sightseer is truly a Stratoliner with different band/ribbon it probably was meant to be lined, but I certainly didn’t not know that. All of my hats that were intended to not have a liner have had a stamp or other mark or similar application.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
On my Slats Gill Playboy clone, Mike Miller pounced the inside. I love it, it just finishes the hat so well. He didn't charge me for it, but due to the time involved, he said he probably will be charging for this feature. I don't know how he did it, maybe turning the body inside out? On a vintage, I have no idea how this process would have worked. Something to research... View attachment 126937
Thank you, Red. Yes, I guess it would create a more luxurious feeling, now thay I see one.

Telemaster

One of the Regulars
I am clearly looking for an excuse to buy another hat, and hope this is not a stupid questions.... but...

I am generally somewhere between a 57 and a 58 cm and seem to be able to wear 7 1/8 or 7 1/4 hats. I have a line over here on an older Stetson western marked 7 long oval. For kicks I asked the guy to measure the length and width and it surprisingly seems to be right at 20 x 16 cm. Most of my hats are right at 20 cm length and then somewhere between 16 – just shy of 17cm width. This makes me think that it would work for me. Is that possible?.. or am I just trying to trick myself into a bad purchase?

RJR

In my LO experience that is the case, to wit, a LO fits like that. I can wear 7 5/8 when LO but "fit" into a 62 cm or 7 3/4 hat. Maybe some other LOs will chime in.
Same here;a 7.5LO or XLO fits fine,otherwise I need a 7 5/8.Over time you'll probably find that getting the 12 to 6 long dimension and the side 9 to 3 dimension will be the best measure.(adding the two together and diving by two usually is real close to the size.)

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
Need recommendations on the best type of crease for this vintage 50’s / 60’s Royal Stetson De luxe with a back bow. It has a very wide band so the side dents are difficult without the ribbon getting distorted. Both the ribbon and the brim are 2 ¼” wide. The way it is bashed right now makes me look like Secret Squirrel.

20180715_131554.jpg
20180715_131744.jpg
20180715_131804.jpg

I am clearly looking for an excuse to buy another hat, and hope this is not a stupid questions.... but...

I am generally somewhere between a 57 and a 58 cm and seem to be able to wear 7 1/8 or 7 1/4 hats. I have a line over here on an older Stetson western marked 7 long oval. For kicks I asked the guy to measure the length and width and it surprisingly seems to be right at 20 x 16 cm. Most of my hats are right at 20 cm length and then somewhere between 16 – just shy of 17cm width. This makes me think that it would work for me. Is that possible?.. or am I just trying to trick myself into a bad purchase?

I’d like to say yes, but the most I can say is a qualified maybe. Some soft hats in 7 5/8 will mold to my long oval head and fit fine. Some won’t. No non-stretched 7 1/2 hats fit me no matter if they are long or even extra long ovals. In stiff non-conforming westerns it’s a crap shoot if 7 3/4 will be big enough. I even have a size 8 (64) Borsalino, very soft, that fits me perfectly!

If you have a long oval head then a long oval hat will fit you better; however, the the shape does not change the circumference so if you have a 22.25” head the hat will need to have at least a 22.25” inside circumference to fit you. If you are really a 7 1/8 long oval but you have been buying 7 1/4 hats to get them to fit then you should be able to go down to 7 1/8 LO without any problems.

The length plus width divided by two gets you close to the US size, but getting sellers to provide accurate and precise measurements can be its own challenge. If you can get the actual inside circumference you can divide it by pi (3.14...) and get your US hat size.

In the end, buying vintage hats, or even new hats, without trying them on first will always have some risk. Just accept it, buy at a good price, and resale those that don’t fit.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Need recommendations on the best type of crease for this vintage 50’s / 60’s Royal Stetson De luxe with a back bow. It has a very wide band so the side dents are difficult without the ribbon getting distorted. Both the ribbon and the brim are 2 ¼” wide. The way it is bashed right now makes me look like Secret Squirrel.

View attachment 127088 View attachment 127089 View attachment 127090

I’d try a simple center dent. If you like the looks of pork pies you can try that too.

You also have the option of changing out the ribbon, but I really like back bows.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

I like it, how you look in it, and Secret Squirrel.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
20180715_190034.jpg
20180715_190123.jpg
20180715_190143.jpg
20180715_190353.jpg

I tried the pork pie....nope. No good. Played around and ended up with this. Tear drop with a tight front pinch above the pug and no side dents and a slight curl on the brim band. I think I'll keep it. I love the color on this one, it shows as brown in the photos but it has a soft green / olive tint to the felt that pops out in the sunlight. :)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 127159 View attachment 127160 View attachment 127161 View attachment 127162
I tried the pork pie....nope. No good. Played around and ended up with this. Tear drop with a tight front pinch above the pug and no side dents and a slight curl on the brim band. I think I'll keep it. I love the color on this one, it shows as brown in the photos but it has a soft green / olive tint to the felt that pops out in the sunlight. :)

Great work on that one.

A narrower ribbon might very well solve the extremely short crown's extremely short look, though.

You have to like porkpies to wear one, as with anything else. <duh>

I'm just glad you didn't cut eye holes in the brim. haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21