Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
@RJR, @BobHufford,

Hope you guys are both okay. Sounds like the storms & tornados were rough yesterday & last night across both your areas. I heard about the 11 people & 5 still missing, BobH.

Check in when you can.

Thanks for thinking of us Jack! The storm brought 75-MPH winds to Springfield, but we were at the farm near Cabool (where the storm just skirted us). Such a tragedy with the capsized Duck Boat. Count is up to 13 dead now. Prayers out to all involved.

Thanks for thinking of us Jack! The storm brought 75-MPH winds to Springfield, but we were at the farm near Cabool (where the storm just skirted us). Such a tragedy with the capsized Duck Boat. Count is up to 13 dead now. Prayers out to all involved.
I'm sure you've heard from your daughters if they're not there with you. Hopefully no damage at home.

Now we need to hear from RJR. Sounds like it was really rough across all of IA.

RJR

I'm sure you've heard from your daughters if they're not there with you. Hopefully no damage at home.

Now we need to hear from RJR. Sounds like it was really rough across all of IA.
Thanks for your concern.The storms sprang up just to the northeast of the Des Moines metro area and as you see on the news just about flattened Marshalltown.Spotty damage in other areas.The Vermeer Mfg plants just outside Pella took a big hit.The best news is that no one was seriously hurt by any of the hits.

Thanks for your concern.The storms sprang up just to the northeast of the Des Moines metro area and as you see on the news just about flattened Marshalltown.Spotty damage in other areas.The Vermeer Mfg plants just outside Pella took a big hit.The best news is that no one was seriously hurt by any of the hits.
Good to hear that you & your home are fine Bob. I was trying to remember if Marshalltown or Ft. Dodge is where the prison is? I remember a few yrs ago they wanted to built a new one but don't think they did.

John the Swede

Familiar Face
What's the crown size/height on the Akubra "Fedora" open crown - anybody know? And how does it rate height-wise to the Campdraft open crown? Thanks

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I only take my hat off when I am working on a patient, am taking a shower, lie down to sleep, or am in a really elegant restaurant. Contrived rules (thanks for the word, Brent) and conventions be damned .

Right now, for instance, I am wearing my hat in a restaurant.

51d523a1254a64162ea45d10dc637bd6.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Good to know - thanks. Wonder if they're all like that.
I agree with deadlyhandsome's description of the color--like sand; beige without a hint of the grey/silver exhibited in other hatters' Silverbelly. But my Silverbelly Campdraft was no softer or harder than my other Akubras when I received it. Handling, creasing, and wearing it over the years has softened it somewhat, but it's not nearly as soft as a custom or vintage hat.

I only take my hat off when I am working on a patient, am taking a shower, lie down to sleep, or am in a really elegant restaurant. Contrived rules (thanks for the word, Brent) and conventions be damned .

Right now, for instance, I am wearing my hat in a restaurant.

51d523a1254a64162ea45d10dc637bd6.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Gasp! Good thing Emily Post isn’t still around.

I’m trying to wear my hats more often and I figure if the establishment doesn’t offer a place to securely leave my hat it is implied that they must want me to wear it indoors. The problem, for me, is finding the balance between good manners and outdated rules of etiquette. I do believe in having good manners, but since so few people wear hats the rules for them are really nebulous except for a few circumstances (e.g., funerals, National Anthems, entering another’s home, etc.). Doffing and tipping one’s hat often comes across as pretentious or even bizarre. We don’t live in the Golden Era and not all of the rules of etiquette from 1930 translate well into 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gasp! Good thing Emily Post isn’t still around.

I’m trying to wear my hats more often and I figure if the establishment doesn’t offer a place to securely leave my hat it is implied that they must want me to wear it indoors. The problem, for me, is finding the balance between good manners and outdated rules of etiquette. I do believe in having good manners, but since so few people wear hats the rules for them are really nebulous except for a few circumstances (e.g., funerals, National Anthems, entering another’s home, etc.). Doffing and tipping one’s hat often comes across as pretentious or even bizarre. We don’t live in the Golden Era and not all of the rules of etiquette from 1930 translate well into 2018.
I've actually had friends and family members question why I remove my hat or cap at certain times--sitting down for a meal in a restaurant, entering someone's home, and so on. They're aware that some form of hat etiquette existed decades ago but, with a few exceptions, have a hard time believing anyone would care about those rules now. None of them wear hats regularly so I can't blame them for not knowing, but I do think they're representative of the number of people who don't care about hats one way or another unless they're blocking their view in a movie theater or at a sports event. So is wearing a hat at the wrong time still bad manners or poor etiquette if no one around us knows it's bad manners or poor etiquette?
V7iVfbM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points