Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I've been working on a image for a polo shirt. It will go on the left breast. I'm trying to decide if it needs some writing. Any ideas would be appreciated. Was thinking "Hat Hound" or ??????

View attachment 128284

The image below is to show the approx size of the graphic. The image is my family crest. (Kinda wished I had put my last name under it).

View attachment 128285
Yea Bill:
Eagle Globe and Anchor on the crown,
Of course!!
B

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Where can I buy these thin plastic hat covers? They came with some of the hats I bought from @moontheloon.
32c851c5555ac946e920795e3c6f5e18.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Hat Masterson

Familiar Face
Missed it on an Akubra - hat sizing. Thought going 62 cm was big enough, as I typically can wear a 7 5/8 in Stetson. And I measured 24.25 not too terribly tight. But that 62 was. Damn. For next time (yeah, that hat is beautiful, so there will be a next time), should I go 63 on ALL Akubras, or just the Campdraft?

Missed it on an Akubra - hat sizing. Thought going 62 cm was big enough, as I typically can wear a 7 5/8 in Stetson. And I measured 24.25 not too terribly tight. But that 62 was. Damn. For next time (yeah, that hat is beautiful, so there will be a next time), should I go 63 on ALL Akubras, or just the Campdraft?
I'm not sure how to advise you on this. Most would probably say, "If 62 is too small go with 63," but... I currently have six Akubra hats--three Fed IVs and three Campdrafts. They're all size 60, but after the expected "shrink to fit" period the fit of all three of the Campdrafts was more snug than that of the Fed IVs, and all three needed a little stretching with a Hat Jack to be more comfortable. So I don't know if the Campdraft tends to run a little small, or if the Fed IV tends to run a little large (despite Hats Direct's insistence that the Fed IV runs 1/2 size small, which hasn't been my experience).

If your head measurement of 24.25" is accurate that converts to 61.6 cm, so size 62 should have fit you. Or I'm right and the Campdraft runs small. Or they shipped you a "small 62". Or you need a size 63...at least for the Campdraft. :confused: I'd contact the vendor you ordered the hat from, advise them of your experience, and find out what they recommend.

Shape is as important as size. Are you a long oval by chance? I can comfortably fit into modern soft open crown Stetsons in 7 5/8 as the hat easily conforms to the shape of my head. In stiffer hats I have to find 7 5/8 long ovals or go up to 7 3/4 (62). I’ve had mixed results with using a hat jack to convert stiff 7 5/8 hats into long ovals.

In Akubra I go for 62 and they seem to fit well, but with the typical shrinkage issues I leave hat jacks in them or they’ll be too tight (though to be honest, 30 minutes of wear usually stretches them back to a perfect fit even if I forget the jack).

Akubra sizing is one of those topics where you will only get more confused as there are so many differing opinions and experiences. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hat Masterson

Familiar Face
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am comfortable with stretching bit, but this hat was leaving a line on my head after five minutes, so I'm pretty sure I'd have been fighting with it from the get go throughout our relationship. As far as ovality is concerned, I am more of an oval than not, if that makes sense, but I couldn't tell as much on the Akubra as, say, a Stetson Whippet. Seemed to relax better around my head from the start than a Stetson would - which is another reason I thought it better not to struggle with it. Sounds to me as if I may want to try a 63, though now I'm a little gun shy and light pocketed.

technovox

One Too Many
I was cleaning out my closet, and I found a black hat by Borsalino that I'd forgotten I even owned. I probably bought this years ago at some thrift, tossed it on a shelf where it collected dust until I came across it today. Maybe a size 7 1/4, but honestly, I'm not a hat person, and don't really wear them. So any info on it would be greatly appreciated...Material? Year? Identifying marks to look for? And is it worth even putting up here or on ebay? Or should I just toss it back in the closet?

borsalino_main.jpg

borsalino_reverse.jpg

borselino_label.jpg

borsalino_hatband.jpg

Hat Masterson

Familiar Face
It's not really 'more of an oval than not,' but more of a 'what shape is your oval.' There is 'round oval,' regular oval ('normal'), 'long oval,' And 'long long' or 'extra long' oval.

LO is what I am, though I didn't feel too much leeway on the sides. Maybe because the hat was pretty tight. Thanks for clarifying.

First of all, I would just like to say "hello" to everybody here!

Second of all, I've been looking at the Stratton & W. Alboum hats, and I've noticed that the straw hats are labelled "double brim" and "single brim". As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the double brim ones appear to be taller, but I may have read elsewhere that the double brim ones are also stronger. Is this true? What other differences are there?

Oh, on a side note, I've noticed a similar thing with felt hats, whether 3xxx or 5xxxxx felt. Do the same rules apply?
EGB, just saw your questions. I'm not familiar with the W. Alboum hats you mention but I do have two Lawman's (trooper style) that I have fedoraized for cheap summer wear. They are Milan/plastic with cloth sweats. The Navy blue pictured below is a double brim; the brown is a regular brim weight. The double brim overall is heavier & not as comfortable to wear. Being plastic both are formable using more heat than steam (steam doesn't do much for plastic) but the double has very little give to it & is quite stiff & rigid; certainly more so that the regular weight. The regular weight might withstand being sat on or somehow crushed; the double would not. Otherwise no difference in crown height, etc.

If you are looking at the Mountie style/campaign hat those may be different. Welcome to the forum!

IMG_6478.JPG

IMG_7160.JPG

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
iu

No idea how popular, or not, Nick Fouquet is around here? But I am very curious to know what that hat steamer is and how it works? It looks as if it gives out a good blast of steam that you switch on and off with a foot switch. I'd quite like to know how to get one of those! Does anyone recognize this?

Charlie DoNuts
Hey guy welcome to the lounge.
Who knows what that thing is. It doesn’t look like a steamer to me but idk. It could be anything cause this guy does some bizarre things to a hat!! Hence the butane torch and paint sprayer. Maybe a welder. Ha
His popularity around here is unique!
As far as steamers, google Jiffy Steamer and away you go.
B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner