Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
iu

No idea how popular, or not, Nick Fouquet is around here? But I am very curious to know what that hat steamer is and how it works? It looks as if it gives out a good blast of steam that you switch on and off with a foot switch. I'd quite like to know how to get one of those! Does anyone recognize this?

Charlie DoNuts

The Jiffy Hat Steamer is the way to go. A great investment if you’re into hats. No idea what Nick is using.

As to Nick’s hats, there are some fans of his, and other’s artificially distressed hats, here on the Lounge, but not a lot. Most folks here like pristine vintage and new hats, but there’s room here for everyone. I will say that Fouquet’s hats are quite expensive and there are great hatters here who can make you a custom pre-distressed hat for much less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I even like a bohemian styled hat, which is a bridge farther than many here will go. I'm currently enamored by Hornskov's Libertine model:
531d00f93b1e4f73350089777ec0ca34.jpg

coincidentally enough (or not, because of target advertising online), a Fouquet hat as showed up in my Facebook feed this afternoon via Barney's NY. They're asking $1,350! That Hornskov hat is $400 in 100% beaver. Yah, I'll take the Hornskov and three more hats for the price of that Fouquet hat!

...And that's not even mentioning the murky beginnings with Westbrook Maker.

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
What hatters are in New York City? Gonna be there one full day the end of this month and wanted to stop by some good hat shops. Ideas? Is JJ's worth a look?

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
I agree, and continue to adhere to certain hat etiquette rules (as I understand them) as I see fit regardless of what anyone says. The funny thing is that I get a form of "gut feeling" that tells me when not to wear my hat; if it feels wrong, the hat comes off. Habits carried over from a past life when wearing hats was far more common? Beats me. But I do know when I grabbed my brand new freshly creased Fed IV and put it on my head for the first time 10 years ago, it felt as natural as breathing, as if I'd been doing it my entire life. And 10 years later I still get that same feeling most of the time when donning a chapeau. So I trust my gut, and 99.9% of the time it serves me well...especially when I'm rubbin' elbows with them snooty royal folk.
I1SQyi8.gif
Very interesting post. :) I'm right there with you Zombie. My own personal "hat habits" come from 22 years military service. Outide it's on and inside I take if off. I don't think about it, I just do it (gut feeling....you bet). In restaraunts it sits on the bench or chair next to me, in movie theaters I sit next to the wall and have my own little velcro hat hanger that sticks to the carpeted walls where I can hang my hat. Don't care what others do, nunna my business. These days etiquette has taken the last bus outta town.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Very interesting post. :) I'm right there with you Zombie. My own personal "hat habits" come from 22 years military service. Outide it's on and inside I take if off. I don't think about it, I just do it (gut feeling....you bet). Don't care what others do, nunna my business. These days etiquette has taken the last bus outta town.

Agree 100% x military also and follow the rule you stated and as far as any etiquette and sense of “ class ‘ that left town also !
All The Best ,Fashion Frank

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've actually had friends and family members question why I remove my hat or cap at certain times--sitting down for a meal in a restaurant, entering someone's home, and so on. They're aware that some form of hat etiquette existed decades ago but, with a few exceptions, have a hard time believing anyone would care about those rules now. None of them wear hats regularly so I can't blame them for not knowing, but I do think they're representative of the number of people who don't care about hats one way or another unless they're blocking their view in a movie theater or at a sports event. So is wearing a hat at the wrong time still bad manners or poor etiquette if no one around us knows it's bad manners or poor etiquette?
V7iVfbM.png

I’m from the South and also former military. When I go inside the hat comes off. I do have one caveat and that is if my hands are full. I then remove my hat ASAP. If I’m in a restaurant and there is no place to safely place my hat I take it back to the vehicle. A hat at the dinner table is an absolute no for me. It always bothered me while in the Marine Corps to wear a cover (hat) when eating. In the Marines when under arms you are required to be covered (wear your hat). Living in Texas I often see men wearing cowboy hats at the table. I admit it does bother me.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
LO is what I am, though I didn't feel too much leeway on the sides. Maybe because the hat was pretty tight. Thanks for clarifying.

Sure thing.

But yes, if you're a LO, for example, as I am, and put on a slightly too tight reg oval, the hat will take the shape of your head while you are wearing it, assuming it isn't super stiff. In fact, the reg ovals I wear the most, my Fed IVs, as the sweat bands have shrunk to fit have become LOs through repeated wearings (and sweatings).

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
But I am very curious to know what that hat steamer is and how it works? It looks as if it gives out a good blast of steam that you switch on and off with a foot switch. I'd quite like to know how to get one of those! Does anyone recognize this?

Charlie DoNuts

I use and recommend a $7 tea kettle from the local supermarket. I removed the whistler, and it works perfectly.

Charlie DoNuts

New in Town
I took a look at the Penman hats, very nice! How much are you going to pay for one of those?

I appreciate that Nick Fouquet is not everyone's cup of tea. The man lives on Venice Beach making La La Hats for La La Land'ers. There are not many guys walking around Chicago with hats like that. My ex-wife and son live in Chicago, I visit often.

I was interested though in that steamer.

I notice on youtube that most of the professional hat makers tend to use high-density steamers with foot pedals or some other means of regulating the steam. For hat blocking it looks like they use a controlled prolonged blast of high-density steam.

I took a look at the Jiffy steamers. In Europe, they cost 300 Euros (350 USD) for a small one and 400 Euros (465 USD) for a big one and that's without postage. I have seen people block hats with these but that is a lot of money for a steamer when a kettle will do. Presently I am using a French cast iron kettle and a steam iron but I haven't got my wooden hat block yet. I have a pile of old Borsalino hats that I mean to renovate and I am going to do it by reblocking and replacing the sweatbands and ribbons.

Curious to know if anyone has ever used a wallpaper stripper as a hat steamer of a steam cleaning tool? Below is a Karcher steam cleaner with a clothing wand. I thought that this might produce a controlled blast of high-density steam. As well as being useful around the house!

1020_2_021511019197.jpg

41303900.jpg

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I took a look at the Penman hats, very nice! How much are you going to pay for one of those?

I appreciate that Nick Fouquet is not everyone's cup of tea. The man lives on Venice Beach making La La Hats for La La Land'ers. There are not many guys walking around Chicago with hats like that. My ex-wife and son live in Chicago, I visit often.

I was interested though in that steamer.

I notice on youtube that most of the professional hat makers tend to use high-density steamers with foot pedals or some other means of regulating the steam. For hat blocking it looks like they use a controlled prolonged blast of high-density steam.

I took a look at the Jiffy steamers. In Europe, they cost 300 Euros (350 USD) for a small one and 400 Euros (465 USD) for a big one and that's without postage. I have seen people block hats with these but that is a lot of money for a steamer when a kettle will do. Presently I am using a French cast iron kettle and a steam iron but I haven't got my wooden hat block yet. I have a pile of old Borsalino hats that I mean to renovate and I am going to do it by reblocking and replacing the sweatbands and ribbons.

Curious to know if anyone has ever used a wallpaper stripper as a hat steamer of a steam cleaning tool? Below is a Karcher steam cleaner with a clothing wand. I thought that this might produce a controlled blast of high-density steam. As well as being useful around the house!

1020_2_021511019197.jpg

41303900.jpg
Can't you get an in-store demo before ordering it?
Love your avatar.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, part of the issue is Fouquet may not actually be the guy doing all the hat making...

whatever antique piece of equipment he's using will likely be harder for you to find than a regular Jiffy steamer. In any event, I'm not a hatter, so there's a good chance I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I don't think you really want "high density" steam. The Scientific Hat Finishing pamphlet calls for 15 seconds of steam on the crown and warns against too much which could cause the hat to become too porous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points