Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have been wanting a standard OR or clone in silverbelly to add to the rotation. I Got frustrated in finding a decent one at a decent price so for father's day I ordered a silver belly akubra campdraft (since I was pleased with my BGCD I ordered a year earlier). Without going into detail I am very disappointed in this hat, no comparison to the BGCD. Anway I recently came across this resistol OR clone a 4x "saddler" for a decent price. Was wondering if anybody can confirm the age 1970s or 1980s? Just got it today and need to try and spot clean it before it gets any head time. Thanks.
9cc5dfc4eb87f956ecd7f5465ed245b7.jpg
e50a471cf2ca5a4b7c63f1f70459f4d0.jpg
595a268139c99c485640cdd0d376dd51.jpg
696f5eee1e3ec67ee306ef072eceeb21.jpg
f8951e6dce4fc5d398b94f0ef4e44180.jpg
803ab49377d15e2e9b8925fc701b26f9.jpg
2fbf5b625843763b17d12f8c0034b5c1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Nice find! Good looking Saddler. I would guess seventies, based on the liner, sweat and size tag. The Resistol Western liner would not have Byer Rolnick on it, even pre '68.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
I have read several discussions and articles in different hat forums concerning the Stetson fur felt quality range.
As I have learned, vintage felts are better than newer ones, amount of "X"s are not always meaningful and some classification types (i.e. Imperial) come and go over the years and are difficult to fit into the general quality range.
My questions to the Stetson experts here:
Would it be correct to say that a Stetson "Excellent" is usually top of the list and always 100% beaver fur felt?
Is a Stetson "Imperial" usually more like a fuzzy mainly beaver fur felt (that's how I have seen them), listed somewhere comparable to a Royal Deluxe?
Where exactly does a Sovereign fit into the range? (I have seen it listed above and below Royal Deluxe)
I know there is not really much consensus on this topic, but maybe somebody with more insight can break this down for me.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I have read several discussions and articles in different hat forums concerning the Stetson fur felt quality range.
As I have learned, vintage felts are better than newer ones, amount of "X"s are not always meaningful and some classification types (i.e. Imperial) come and go over the years and are difficult to fit into the general quality range.
My questions to the Stetson experts here:
Would it be correct to say that a Stetson "Excellent" is usually top of the list and always 100% beaver fur felt?
Is a Stetson "Imperial" usually more like a fuzzy mainly beaver fur felt (that's how I have seen them), listed somewhere comparable to a Royal Deluxe?
Where exactly does a Sovereign fit into the range? (I have seen it listed above and below Royal Deluxe)
I know there is not really much consensus on this topic, but maybe somebody with more insight can break this down for me.

AFAIK, the Excellent Designation for 100% beaver is relatively recent. It is currently true that Excellent is the highest grade.

Imperial Hats are often, but not always, long hair finishes. See, Alan's 30's-40's Imperial, for example. Imperial should be higher than Sovereign, which is higher than Royal Deluxe (at least according to this 1963 ad)

AFAIK, the Excellent Designation for 100% beaver is relatively recent. It is currently true that Excellent is the highest grade.

Imperial Hats are often, but not always, long hair finishes. See, Alan's 30's-40's Imperial, for example. Imperial should be higher than Sovereign, which is higher than Royal Deluxe (at least according to this 1963 ad)

I think they had an Excellent designation in the 20s-30s, but it seemed to disappear for some time. I believe Deckard brought it back.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I think they had an Excellent designation in the 20s-30s, but it seemed to disappear for some time. I believe Deckard brought it back.

Yes, I have a 1920's Exposition Homburg marked Excellent Quality.

Thanks, gents. I probably should have remembered that one. I did know of Standard and Select Quality on those earlier Stetsons.

Interestingly enough, my Heritage grade, unlike others, was the most oversized upon receiving. It's still the most roomy, but it certainly fits. The "Fedora," my first Akubra, fit out of the box and hasn't changed.
It always intrigues me when someone says the fit of their Akubra hasn't changed, because all six of mine shrunk within the first three to seven days to fit better than they did out of the box. :confused:

I also have a 1910's John B. Stetson Select Quality Derby. Similar to that worn by Dr. Henry H. Holmes (1861 -1896) I would imagine. Thanks again to Fruno for his recommendation on the book.

View attachment 131277

View attachment 131276

View attachment 131275

View attachment 131290

Just please, if you are stricken with the urge to move to Chicago and buy a large building resist it.

At the time, "Standard" was their highest quality.

Just please, if you are stricken with the urge to move to Chicago and buy a large building resist it.

At the time, "Standard" was their highest quality.

Just waiting for the DiCaprio/Scorsese movie based on the book to come out. It has to be better than Disney's Christopher Robin, Crazy Rich Asians, The Meg, or any of that other crap that's at theaters now.

Or maybe I should have made yet another post about Akubra shrinkage?

Just waiting for the DiCaprio/Scorsese movie based on the book to come out. It has to be better than Disney's Christopher Robin, Crazy Rich Asians, The Meg, or any of that other crap that's at theaters now.

Or maybe I should have made yet another post about Akubra shrinkage?

I didn't know a flick was in the works. 50/50 on DiCaprio. I really like him as an actor, but not sure of this role. I'm assuming he's playing Holmes?

Either way, happy to see it made; I'll certainly give it a go.

Hey, I've seen Cavanaghs listed as "wool felt". That is nonsense, right?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

It’s hard to say. Sometimes fur felt is mistakenly listed as wool felt, suede, etc. However, there is wool felt and lots of hats were/are made with it. You can felt lots of different materials (someday I’ll own one of the old plastic felt hat). Some of the old wool felts were very nice and nothing like the cheap hats we now associate them with. There also were the stiff hats (bowlers/derbies) that were wool felt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
I made a good deal on eBay for this Wegener fur felt top-hat (waiting for delivery).
It seems to be in very good condition, but has a larger stain on the top.

Wegener-TopHat-1.jpg
Wegener-TopHat-2.jpg

Brushing and steam might not be enough to remove the stain; what kind of cleaning agent or powder cleaner can I use?
Is there a thread in FL for "cleaning fur felt"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto