Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
We have never known the beaver content of hats. Even in the old days, it was proprietary. Safe speculation is that a 7X Clear Beaver is actually 100% beaver. At least one Stetson currently is marketed as 100% Beaver. Anybody that tells you they can feel whether or not there is beaver in their hats is, well, talking through their hat. As Steve (@meyserwegener) will tell you, eastern European hare quality is very good, and many great hats have been made out of hare and even wool.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I have a couple Resistol hats with a kitten on the sweatband, so can I assume....and how about seal velour? :)

I do think you are correct about it having some beaver fur, but since the manufacturers are intentionally silent on the matter all we can do is guess. My guess is that if there is beaver content it’s not much.

I got a good laugh a while back when current Stetson Royal felt was speculated to be mostly dryer lint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ha! I figured on someone pointing out the eagle in the Stetson crest.

I know the comment is somewhat facetious, but it does illustrate the point...kitten finish hats were marked with "finish." I can't think of any other hat embossment that would be so ambiguous as "beaver" = "beaver finish." And there wouldn't be much incentive to advertise a "beaver finish" if multiple companies were also doing the same thing (indeed, Resistol was marketing their finishing process). Different companies had their own adspeak. The Cavanagh edge became the Mode edge, for example. But with the supposed "beaver finish" they all just put "beaver?"

Last edited:

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I would think you had a gross of them already, along with a custom-built safe.

You are right on the safe. Just got the new one delivered last night.
1fe1c242c941ba963f456938f63fa675.jpg
5e6bca08df2c417d6e80f1362c1ed761.jpg
fa3fd30f0291c29b0f318e63a23f35ac.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Ken David

One of the Regulars
Looking for "affordable" source for replacement sweatbands.

It appears that I have bad luck, out of my modest collection of lids I have 2-3 that the sweats looked ok during purchase soon deteriorated. I can sent them to a hatter for replacement for around $25 but that does not include 2 way shipping (already had one done). I am willing to give it a try to replace a sweat on a low dollar hat. Anybody have any suggestions where I can purchase a cheap sweatband? Thanks.

Looking for "affordable" source for replacement sweatbands.

It appears that I have bad luck, out of my modest collection of lids I have 2-3 that the sweats looked ok during purchase soon deteriorated. I can sent them to a hatter for replacement for around $25 but that does not include 2 way shipping (already had one done). I am willing to give it a try to replace a sweat on a low dollar hat. Anybody have any suggestions where I can purchase a cheap sweatband? Thanks.

Our own member "@bond" sells very nice sweats - finished and unfinished. On eBay he is zenguy, on Etsy, finevintagefedoras.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Our own member "@bond" sells very nice sweats - finished and unfinished. On eBay he is zenguy, on Etsy, finevintagefedoras.

I bought five from him recently, for about $16.50 a piece. Then I bought another four from hatter supply house for about $7.50.
I wonder if the quality of @bond's sweats is that much better?
I will opine when I get them.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Shows what I know; I didn’t even know they currently offered open crowns in the Royal lineup.

I just think it's because it's a second from the outlet. Normally, the Premier open crown hats are Royal Deluxe. Th Excellent Quality Stratoliner I picked up last summer was open crown also, of course.

Ha! I figured on someone pointing out the eagle in the Stetson crest.

I know the comment is somewhat facetious, but it does illustrate the point...kitten finish hats were marked with "finish." I can't think of any other hat embossment that would be so ambiguous as "beaver" = "beaver finish." And there wouldn't be much incentive to advertise a "beaver finish" if multiple companies were also doing the same thing (indeed, Resistol was marketing their finishing process). Different companies had their own adspeak. The Cavanagh edge became the Mode edge, for example. But with the supposed "beaver finish" they all just put "beaver?"

What you’re saying all sounds logical and consistent with what we know, but in the end all we can do is guess and extrapolate.

I can see the advantages of being ambiguous with what “beaver” means if you can get away with making a hat without any beaver content but still advertise it as “beaver” (meaning the finish) without any explanation. If they have beaver fur in the felt why not “made with real beaver” or some such marketing ploy?

Just wild speculation from me at this point. I don’t care what the material is, it’s the traits that I’m after. If the plastic felt was indistinguishable from beaver I’d be fine with it.

Ken David

One of the Regulars

yes....thanks for post. I think he charges $20 + 5 shipping, I can get one installed for 25, was hoping for something a little cheaper but this may be the only option. thanks again

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

yes....thanks for post. I think he charges $20 + 5 shipping, I can get one installed for 25, was hoping for something a little cheaper but this may be the only option. thanks again

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agnoulita offers them on Etsy. The leather is great, but specify if you want a reeded sweat.

Among the current Stetson lineup, 4x is wool or buffalo, 5x I think is a wool/fur blend. I'm not even sure that the 6x is even still marketed as "6x beaver," just "6x." I don't want to know what's in the 3x hats if 4x is buffalo....

Historically, I'm inclined to believe that if a hat was marked with "beaver" it probably had some beaver content.

Maybe the "beaver finish" thing is true, but I'm disinclined to put much stock in it because of the following: I've never seen reference to "beaver finish" in marketing or trade copy; a Nutria hat was labeled as such because it contained Nutria; embossing "beaver" and/or literally a picture of a beaver seems like it wouldn't be tenable to advertise if it didn't contain beaver.

And I’m still waiting to know the seal content in seal velour (it doesn’t say “finish”). :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy