Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obi1

New in Town
If you go on Etsy you’ll find Agnoulita sells Tonak felts bodies, cones, etc. he has them in suede/antelope, velour, longhair, standard, etc. The proprietor, Mr. P, speaks perfect English and is easy to work with, but be aware that he sometimes takes several days to answer his emails. All I’ve ever found are rabbit fur felts (and wool) so if you want beaver or hare or a blend I don’t know that he can help you.

This link will get you started:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/515316078/rabbit-fur-felt-hat-bodies-cappellines?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=rabbit fur felt&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have looked into them as well and did not know they were tonak bodies but had heard issues with their quality.

I have looked into them as well and did not know they were tonak bodies but had heard issues with their quality.

I have around 10 hats made by Agnoulita. The standard rabbit and the antelope/suede rabbit hats are all of decent quality. I should also state that I’m just assuming that they are Tonak as their offerings seem to match up.

I can also say that I’ve had several Winchester beaver customs where the hat bodies had problems/defects and the hatter had to get a new felt and start over. There aren’t any certainties.

Cheers,

Brent

I'd like to have a nice hat in a lighter color (SB, fawn, bone) that I can wear on a daily basis (to and from work, errands)) but worry about how easily it might show dirt or get smudged?
My experience is that the light colors like Bone & Silvermist will take extra care; SB, Fawn, Sand etc, not so much. What I have also found is that the finer the pounce & finish, the worse the problem. It just happens to show more on the very light colors.

Eric (SBG) has several, seek his opinion.

Wash your hands!
And stay out from under drippy trees, roof lines, etc.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I'd like to have a nice hat in a lighter color (SB, fawn, bone) that I can wear on a daily basis (to and from work, errands)) but worry about how easily it might show dirt or get smudged? Is this a real cocern or am I being overly cautious?

Yes, it's pretty easy to get a real light color smudged up in daily wear. I live in the country, and am always into something, so I've given up on the real light colors. Even on trips to town, there's always a stop by the dumpsters, hardware store, or feed store to find something to get on my hat.

Good luck!
Regan

Winston Carter

Practically Family
If you go on Etsy you’ll find Agnoulita sells Tonak felts bodies, cones, etc. he has them in suede/antelope, velour, longhair, standard, etc. The proprietor, Mr. P, speaks perfect English and is easy to work with, but be aware that he sometimes takes several days to answer his emails. All I’ve ever found are rabbit fur felts (and wool) so if you want beaver or hare or a blend I don’t know that he can help you.

This link will get you started:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/515316078/rabbit-fur-felt-hat-bodies-cappellines?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=rabbit fur felt&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1

Thanks for the link. This dude has good prices and a lot of custom options.

Obi1

New in Town
I have around 10 hats made by Agnoulita. The standard rabbit and the antelope/suede rabbit hats are all of decent quality. I should also state that I’m just assuming that they are Tonak as their offerings seem to match up.

I can also say that I’ve had several Winchester beaver customs where the hat bodies had problems/defects and the hatter had to get a new felt and start over. There aren’t any certainties.

Cheers,

Brent
Ok, I will have to reconsider them then. I have heard of Winchester having some issues but people still seemed to hold them in high regard. I had heard fepsa was the best but until I'm doing high volume which will take years i wouldn't be able to get a consistant order from them.

Ok, I will have to reconsider them then. I have heard of Winchester having some issues but people still seemed to hold them in high regard. I had heard fepsa was the best but until I'm doing high volume which will take years i wouldn't be able to get a consistant order from them.

I think the issues with FEPSA are more of an issue with non-Portugal customers. My only experience with FEPSA was a rabbit and hare blend and it was fine. Curious about their beaver and beaver blend.

Obi1

New in Town
I think the issues with FEPSA are more of an issue with non-Portugal customers. My only experience with FEPSA was a rabbit and hare blend and it was fine. Curious about their beaver and beaver blend.
They seem like they might be good for someone just making hats for themselves, but I would like to sell them eventually, and would need consistant inventory. It was to my understanding though that if you are buying in quantities for a shop, that fepsa was a good option.
Any idea how the angoulita rabbit single sided velour compares to the mens weight bodies? I just like some of those color options and the option for a larger brim, but it would still be for mens hats. I've also been trying to locate western bodies but have found much less of a selection for that anywhere.

In general terms, where are you located?

They seem like they might be good for someone just making hats for themselves, but I would like to sell them eventually, and would need consistant inventory. It was to my understanding though that if you are buying in quantities for a shop, that fepsa was a good option.
Any idea how the angoulita rabbit single sided velour compares to the mens weight bodies? I just like some of those color options and the option for a larger brim, but it would still be for mens hats. I've also been trying to locate western bodies but have found much less of a selection for that anywhere.

I have one single sided velour hat from them. The velour really is single sided and I didn’t care for that aspect.

Obi1

New in Town
I have one single sided velour hat from them. The velour really is single sided and I didn’t care for that aspect.

That makes sense. I guess I will make due with the mens selection until I can get my hands on more. I just really like the wider brims and lighter colors.

That makes sense. I guess I will make due with the mens selection until I can get my hands on more. I just really like the wider brims and lighter colors.

The standard rabbit felts have the most options for colors; more than the velours. I also have one of the long hairs that I like.

Obi1

New in Town
The standard rabbit felts have the most options for colors; more than the velours. I also have one of the long hairs that I like.

I just wasnt sure how the other options would work for mens hats. The antelope finish looks nice online. I emailed the owner a couple questions I had. I would also like to try and make top hats.

I just wasnt sure how the other options would work for mens hats. The antelope finish looks nice online. I emailed the owner a couple questions I had. I would also like to try and make top hats.

No clue on toppers. I do know that his antelope finished felts weren’t big enough for a 3.25” brimmed fedora. The plain rabbit felts are much larger.

Obi1

New in Town
No clue on toppers. I do know that his antelope finished felts weren’t big enough for a 3.25” brimmed fedora. The plain rabbit felts are much larger.

that's probably what I'll go with to start then. Thanks for the info. There isn't much info on blocking top hats but with a puzzle block it seems doable. The only thing is, I can imagine western bodies might be more suitable but adding stiffener should suffice

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I live in Houston and discovered unless your looking for an off the shelf cowboy hat your out of luck. The Hat Store has cowboy hats and a couple of straw fedoras, all at high retail.

If your staying in the Galleria area you have to get BBQ at Luling City Market. It's 5 minutes away.
Thanks!
c65374c743cb7853d21e4ab7ed0f5ee5.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran