Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I live in Houston and discovered unless your looking for an off the shelf cowboy hat your out of luck. The Hat Store has cowboy hats and a couple of straw fedoras, all at high retail.

If your staying in the Galleria area you have to get BBQ at Luling City Market. It's 5 minutes away.
I thought Miller Hats was a good co. I have looked at their website and their hats look good and priced good too. I did buy a yellow acorn calvary hat band from them and had fast delivery.

Forgot to add this.. Sunbody Hats is great for Straw/Panama hats. Houston looks pretty good to me for hats. I would shop Miller and Sunbody if I lived there.

I don’t remember SunBody making Panama hats or straw hats. All I’ve seen are palm hats. I have a couple of SunBody hats and for the money they serve their purpose, but they aren’t what you’d call refined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ruvort

One of the Regulars
I'd love to know more about these hats. Any insight on the period they were produced, quality, and old advertisements would be most appreciated.

Thank you!
d8807d33d37a00b04753ba3427ee3662.jpg

Edited for additional pictures.
4d47891ae783a912a464bb0ea4b287fb.jpg
e1ad7aed504a94c52910cd39b34efc45.jpg
f0f8d4c5a853a503ec323b81d7fdf1a3.jpg
fb58091faa7307d07414732ba03a9cf3.jpg
2b27f0d5ea44f0e658e7b84220f1c4a2.jpg

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'd love to know more about these hats. Any insight on the period they were produced, quality, and old advertisements would be most appreciated.

Thank you!
d8807d33d37a00b04753ba3427ee3662.jpg

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Well, you're going to need to post more pics. The Stetsonian was offered in varying configurations from early on in the century continuing through to the modern day.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/nothing-but-stetson-ads.45495/
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...rtising-and-ephemera-of-the-golden-era.92141/

ruvort

One of the Regulars

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Understandable. I edited my post with additional pictures.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Well, the last pic confirmed my suspicions, 60's. 3x is a well regarded felt quality that fell near the middle of Stetson's pricing at the time. I don't know that we specifically have seen an ad for your iteration, but both links have Stetsonian ads, so you can see where yours fits in the evolution. As is common with hats of the 60's, this one has a shorter brim and lower crown.

Just got a new fur felt and it has kind of a slight chemical smell...offgassing? Anyone have this before? Made in the good ol' USA but it is velour, which I've never had before.

I had a custom made by Staker Hats that had a strong chemical smell. As bad as the smell was it wasn’t the biggest problem with that hat. I got rid of the hat before I could see if the smell would go away. I have a couple of Tonak velour custom hats and there wasn’t any smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just got a new fur felt and it has kind of a slight chemical smell...offgassing? Anyone have this before? Made in the good ol' USA but it is velour, which I've never had before.
All of my Akubra hats arrived with at least a hint of a chemical smell that I assume was caused by the stiffener they use. It went away after I shaped the hats and wore them for a day or three.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I was just doing a little research. There's not much out there on this.

I saw a couple of different styles of Stetson with the word Hawthorn attached to them. They were also different colors.

If I was to take a semieducated guess, I'd say that Hawthorn is sort of a 'subname,' used, perhaps, as a status, or prestige thing, as Hawthorn is one of those types of names.

Look how many completely different Dobbs hats used the name Game Bird. Perhaps Hawthorn was a designation Stetson used to separate this Stetsonian from others using the Stetsonian name. The word Stetsonian sounds prestigious. I can see how they'd want to use it on multiple styles of hats.

Of course, this is all just speculation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner