Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Opinions welcome, maybe I'm overreacting?

My overpriced black friday Worth and Worth hat arrived and I was supremely underwhelmed. I expected to not be impressed with the weave count (I understood this purchase to be as much about the artistic work put into the hat as much as the hat itself) and a hat that wasn't going to have super crisp blocked lines, because that is their style. But I immediately drifted to a few flaws in the weave...

Admittedly, these two are somewhat minor...they're also on the top of the crown, so not super visible. I would probably be forgiving of these on a less expensive hat. But then...

This one.....this one irks me. The reality is it's very tiny, but it sticks straight out from the crown and won't be tamed down.

They also agreed with me that the crown was lopsided but think that happened during shipping. On the weave, they gave me the whole "these hats are handwoven" an "unless you order a museum quality Montecristi the small imperfections are part of the weavers hand." I'm kinda calling BS on this though, because I've had other brisa straws with a similar weave count that didn't have frayed ends sticking out the crown. My Hatco OR Panama certainly doesn't....

I can exchange it, and they'll even honor black friday pricing for whatever I exchange it for; but, honestly, I'm not feeling super comfortable buying a straw from them sight unseen...cut my losses or try again?
I say cut your losses, Jarred.

Whenever a similar situation has happened to me, I was disappointed again, only the second time I just ended up accepting the replacement, because I had lowered my expectations and because I didn't want to go through the hassle again.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Julie Bourdages

New in Town
I have a couple options already, but not ideal..

Im not a pro at this what so ever and certainly dont know all the tricks but im looking for a felt hood that would go over a 14" hat block. I presume I cant use the regular ones as they will way to big to shrink that much? or if they do shrink that much it must be a pain ..
any recommandation?

Air Wing Marine

One of the Regulars
Allow me to preface my question by revealing I am a neo-Luddite. When it comes to technology I am somewhere near the bronze age. How do I set up my account so that my post always lists my hat size? How do I start my reply with another members quote?

Opinions welcome, maybe I'm overreacting?

My overpriced black friday Worth and Worth hat arrived and I was supremely underwhelmed. I expected to not be impressed with the weave count (I understood this purchase to be as much about the artistic work put into the hat as much as the hat itself) and a hat that wasn't going to have super crisp blocked lines, because that is their style. But I immediately drifted to a few flaws in the weave...

Admittedly, these two are somewhat minor...they're also on the top of the crown, so not super visible. I would probably be forgiving of these on a less expensive hat. But then...

This one.....this one irks me. The reality is it's very tiny, but it sticks straight out from the crown and won't be tamed down.

They also agreed with me that the crown was lopsided but think that happened during shipping. On the weave, they gave me the whole "these hats are handwoven" an "unless you order a museum quality Montecristi the small imperfections are part of the weavers hand." I'm kinda calling BS on this though, because I've had other brisa straws with a similar weave count that didn't have frayed ends sticking out the crown. My Hatco OR Panama certainly doesn't....

I can exchange it, and they'll even honor black friday pricing for whatever I exchange it for; but, honestly, I'm not feeling super comfortable buying a straw from them sight unseen...cut my losses or try again?
I agree with you calling BS on the weave. I have 3 panama hats all bought for under $150 and none have flaws like yours. The big question is whether it will bother you and that is very subjective...no right no wrong. It is crappy to wear a hat and have this niggling doubt about it.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Allow me to preface my question by revealing I am a neo-Luddite. When it comes to technology I am somewhere near the bronze age. How do I set up my account so that my post always lists my hat size? How do I start my reply with another members quote?

go to your acct. then to settings then to signature, add your size then hit save

I have 2 inch vintage Borsalino ribbon in limited colors that I do sell

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab

I'm using an iPad, but I would suspect the layout is similar across devices:
IMG_0743.jpg

[New screen loads]

IMG_0744.jpg

OldStrummer

Practically Family
There is no such thing as a stupid question except the one that isn't asked. With that in mind, here's my almost-stupid question: How do you guys wear hats and not have them ruin your hair when you remove them? For the record, I have very fine hair, and when I doff my hat, the part is ruined and I look quite unkempt. Hair spray isn't the answer (and can have deleterious effects on hats, anyway) and I'm way beyond the Brylcreem stage.

I've take to carrying a comb in my back pocket, but I'm not usually near a mirror when I take my hat off, so any fixing is either by guess or by golly.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
There is no such thing as a stupid question except the one that isn't asked. With that in mind, here's my almost-stupid question: How do you guys wear hats and not have them ruin your hair when you remove them? For the record, I have very fine hair, and when I doff my hat, the part is ruined and I look quite unkempt. Hair spray isn't the answer (and can have deleterious effects on hats, anyway) and I'm way beyond the Brylcreem stage.

I've take to carrying a comb in my back pocket, but I'm not usually near a mirror when I take my hat off, so any fixing is either by guess or by golly.
I just run my fingers through my hair backwards. It settles down OK.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I say cut your losses, Jarred.

Whenever a similar situation has happened to me, I was disappointed again, only the second time I just ended up accepting the replacement, because I had lowered my expectations and because I didn't want to go through the hassle again.

I agree with you calling BS on the weave. I have 3 panama hats all bought for under $150 and none have flaws like yours. The big question is whether it will bother you and that is very subjective...no right no wrong. It is crappy to wear a hat and have this niggling doubt about it.

appreciate the feedback, gents. Glad to see others agree that this level of imperfection is unacceptable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy