Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dm101

A-List Customer
While I understand your wife's concerns, Dm101, if you burn another $120 on a "slap your head" deal, you will have spent almost that much with little to show for it. Michael Gannon will make you a custom...CUSTOM...rabbit fur felt for $200 and a pure beaver for $275. And if you ask, you will have dozens upon dozens of positive referrals and recommendations by others here on the Lounge. Rick at Phoenix Hats has comparable offerings and prices.

Please understand that I am not trying to dictate anything to you, merely offering suggestions from a "been there, done that" point of view. I could have saved myself hundreds of $$$ and lots of frustration had I been more serious about a custom from the start. If you only see yourself having a few hats, it might make sense to get a custom hat fit to your exact specifications for less than the cost of a new off-the-rack hat (ps, a mid-level Stetson Premier Stratoliner will run you about $235 mail order).

Many loungers also offer some great hats in the classifieds as well. Deadlyhandsome has/had a vintage Knox Twenty for $90 I believe.

Welcome to the Lounge.

https://gannonhatcompany.com/pages/custom-hats

Well, when you present it that way...it makes perfect sense. Man, I should have asked here before I even started this journey. I would have...and could have...gotten the right hat from the jump.
Ah well, I'll wait until after the new year and approach the wife with your method and see how things go. Until then, I'll butcher this bolero hat and see if I can't get it to look like how I envision...eventually. Since I can't get my money back anyhow...I might as well get some "Experience" learning how to mod these hats.

Thank you so much, I'm liking it here!

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Well, when you present it that way...it makes perfect sense. Man, I should have asked here before I even started this journey. I would have...and could have...gotten the right hat from the jump.
Ah well, I'll wait until after the new year and approach the wife with your method and see how things go. Until then, I'll butcher this bolero hat and see if I can't get it to look like how I envision...eventually. Since I can't get my money back anyhow...I might as well get some "Experience" learning how to mod these hats.

Welcome aboard Dm. This is a good group of people to learn from. Have fun and good luck in your search. :)

There’s lots of good info on changing the shape and style of hats in the Conversion Corral thread, but my experience is that wool hats can be tough to work with.

I don’t have any hats with a telescope crown, but I do have a few 7 5/8 fur felt hats that I’d let go if your interested in the outdoors/adventure/quasi western style. I also have some wool hats I’d let go cheap. Send me a PM if you’re interested

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Whoowee...that's expensive!
The wife got "Concerned" over $120 for this hat that STILL has to be modified a ton if it's going to fit. I know there's no way she will go for me buying a hat that costs the price of a good overcoat..
:eek:

And also if they're not local, I'm not buying it for that much. I want them to slap the fur-felt over my head and block it with my blockhead when they make it...lol.
:p
Well from my experience it is NOT expensive if you don't tell her!

Dm101

A-List Customer
There’s lots of good info on changing the shape and style of hats in the Conversion Corral thread, but my experience is that wool hats can be tough to work with.

I don’t have any hats with a telescope crown, but I do have a few 7 5/8 fur felt hats that I’d let go if your interested in the outdoors/adventure/quasi western style. I also have some wool hats I’d let go cheap. Send me a PM if you’re interested

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh I will absolutely be sending you a PM. I would like to see your stock of hats.
They sound like a good selection as I am the outdoors/adventure/quasi-western type of guy!
unnamed.jpg

Wonderful! I will look up the "Conversion Corral" thread this morning.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Dm101

A-List Customer
Hehehe...now that I'm thinking about it...my employer gave me a christmas gift of Amazon cards that I could buy the hat outright with. The wife claimed those as soon as she saw them, don't know what I was thinking. Usually I open the gifts beforehand and extract the cards....argh.
So, technically...I had the money free and clear...

*Smack forehead....again*

Dm101

A-List Customer
Question 3:
I'm guessing that before I start expanding the crown and head-hole of this bolero, I need to remove the ribbon and sweat band? I'm looking at it...and thinking these things could be a hindrance to getting the head-hole to expand, thereby not allowing the crown to be expanded and flattened on the sides to get rid of that conehead taper...

Air Wing Marine

One of the Regulars
Anyone have success re-sizing a hat? I bought a custom Gannon rabbit felt hat for a gift. i was told the intended recipient was a 56 cm. Turns out he was more like a 59!

Is it salvagable? What can be done?

Anyone have success re-sizing a hat? I bought a custom Gannon rabbit felt hat for a gift. i was told the intended recipient was a 56 cm. Turns out he was more like a 59!

Is it salvagable? What can be done?
Resizing that drastic would require a complete teardown and rebuild, preferably by a professional. Perhaps if you contacted Mr. Gannon he could work with you on something to salvage it.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy