Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I’ve searched around but I have not been able to find an answer for summer felt hats. I know looking at old pictures I think for the most part felt fedoras were worn year round. Is there different weight felts for summer? I have a decent collection of straw hats but I’d like a nice year round felt. I have a couple of lower end wool felt fedoras but I can’t imagine wearing them in the summer. I’m thinking my best bet might be Akubra but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steven

Historically there were several different lightweight felts from the various manufacturers: feather weight, zephyr weight, etc. The Stetson Playboy is famously marketed as a lightweight felt as well.

As far as modern production hats, your selections are more limited. I don't think Akubra produces a lightweight felt per se, but removing the liner in the summer may help keep you cool. Winchester can make a nice lightweight felt that I know Art Fawcett has stocked at times and Optimo has a lightweight felt that is presumably made by FEPSA, but those are both pretty pricey options.

Hat Masterson

Familiar Face
Just picked up a new old vintage fedora and the leather sweat, while in decent shape, is a little old and, well, funky. What's your preferred method of cleaning these up for wearing?

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Historically there were several different lightweight felts from the various manufacturers: feather weight, zephyr weight, etc. The Stetson Playboy is famously marketed as a lightweight felt as well.

As far as modern production hats, your selections are more limited. I don't think Akubra produces a lightweight felt per se, but removing the liner in the summer may help keep you cool. Winchester can make a nice lightweight felt that I know Art Fawcett has stocked at times and Optimo has a lightweight felt that is presumably made by FEPSA, but those are both pretty pricey options.

Thanks jlee. I love the look of the Stetson Playboy and if I’m not mistaken it even has vent holes in the crown. Being a 7-1/2 makes it a little tougher finding a vintage hat to fit me and my needs. Maybe custom might be the way to go. I’d like to hear other options as to what Fedora Loungers wear during the summer.

Steven

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Thanks jlee. I love the look of the Stetson Playboy and if I’m not mistaken it even has vent holes in the crown. Being a 7-1/2 makes it a little tougher finding a vintage hat to fit me and my needs. Maybe custom might be the way to go. I’d like to hear other options as to what Fedora Loungers wear during the summer.

Steven

Kind of depends on your climate, temperature, humidity, and your own tolerances.

For me, the higher the temperature, and especially humidity, the more likely I am to go for a straw or a vented fabric hat. Personally, I don't care for felts with holes in them.

Steven
Some very early Playboys had venting; however, most don't. I own two - one lined, one unlined - neither has venting.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Hat Masterson

Familiar Face
Just picked up a new old vintage fedora and the leather sweat, while in decent shape, is a little old and, well, funky. What's your preferred method of cleaning these up for wearing?

Am considering Lexol, but I also have Bick 4, which I use on my boots--has anyone used these methods?

I’ve searched around but I have not been able to find an answer for summer felt hats. I know looking at old pictures I think for the most part felt fedoras were worn year round. Is there different weight felts for summer? I have a decent collection of straw hats but I’d like a nice year round felt. I have a couple of lower end wool felt fedoras but I can’t imagine wearing them in the summer. I’m thinking my best bet might be Akubra but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steven
I live on the west coast where it does not get too hot or too humid in the summer months. I had Mike at NW Hats make me a summer fedora in a light coloured felt and asked him to pounce it to a light weight summer weight finish on the crown leaving the brim standard weight. I can wear it late spring and early summer. In the heat (relative term!) of August I switch to a Panama.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Yes, that is a loaded question and I have no real answers but I'll jump in with my two cents worth. Sunbody hats have never fit me and "felt just right" although I've had one for years and use it in hot weather working outside. Mostly I rely on entry level Stetson or Resistol western straw hats for "work hats". I have a no-name, $10 open weave straw fedora that is surprisingly comfortable and keeps my head very cool in the summertime. I think because it is so "open", there is a lot of air flow.

With almost no experience with quality straw/hemp/etc, from the discussions on Panama's I have seen, and my one Stetson Straw Medalist (thanks, Deadlyhandsome), it seems the smaller/finer straw and tighter weaves give a softer and more comfortable fit. For me, if it is comfortable, I'm more apt to wear it even if it is a little hotter in summer weather.

Now I've told you a lot more than I actually know :) RM

I have a question and the answers will be subjective. What straw hat feels the best in the hand? I'm looking at straw hats for daily working around the yard this upcoming summer and I'm learning that straw isn't straw isn't straw. Instead, a straw hat might be hemp coated in resin. A straw hat might be polysomethingorother that I suspect feels like a plastic water bottle. Straw might actually be straw if it's a $300 hat from Ecuador or a $15 hat from a truck stop. I'm not referring to 'hand' as one might refer to a fur felt, but simply which material in a 'straw' hat today feels the best to pick up and handle in your hand?

Dm101

A-List Customer
Yes, that is a loaded question and I have no real answers but I'll jump in with my two cents worth. Sunbody hats have never fit me and "felt just right" although I've had one for years and use it in hot weather working outside. Mostly I rely on entry level Stetson or Resistol western straw hats for "work hats". I have a no-name, $10 open weave straw fedora that is surprisingly comfortable and keeps my head very cool in the summertime. I think because it is so "open", there is a lot of air flow.

With almost no experience with quality straw/hemp/etc, from the discussions on Panama's I have seen, and my one Stetson Straw Medalist (thanks, Deadlyhandsome), it seems the smaller/finer straw and tighter weaves give a softer and more comfortable fit. For me, if it is comfortable, I'm more apt to wear it even if it is a little hotter in summer weather.

Now I've told you a lot more than I actually know :) RM

Hmmm...do you think that kind of straw hat would feel "Comfortable" on a bald head?

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Kind of depends on your climate, temperature, humidity, and your own tolerances.

For me, the higher the temperature, and especially humidity, the more likely I am to go for a straw or a vented fabric hat. Personally, I don't care for felts with holes in them.
I live in South Carolina so it gets hot and very humid. I have good straw hats in a verity of colors. Grey, natural, pecan, navy and tea are the colors. The three Bear Creek fedoras I have are very light but I’d like to have a finer felt fedora compared to my wool felt fedoras. Something like rabbit or beaver but I’d like to wear whatever hat I choose to go with a little longer than just fall and winter. I like the look of the modern Stetson Stratoliner but I’m just not sure about it’s bound brim. I had ordered two Milan Stratoliners but they were to big so I returned them. Besides the fit issues I just didn’t like the shape of the brim in the front. It almost looked like a lampshade when it was snapped down. I was able too steam and shape my other straw fedoras but I did not mess with the Milan Stratoliners because they had to be returned. Maybe an open crown modern felt Stratoliner might be worth a try if I knew the brim would take some shaping for “my look”.

Steven

I live in South Carolina so it gets hot and very humid. I have good straw hats in a verity of colors. Grey, natural, pecan, navy and tea are the colors. The three Bear Creek fedoras I have are very light but I’d like to have a finer felt fedora compared to my wool felt fedoras. Something like rabbit or beaver but I’d like to wear whatever hat I choose to go with a little longer than just fall and winter. I like the look of the modern Stetson Stratoliner but I’m just not sure about it’s bound brim. I had ordered two Milan Stratoliners but they were to big so I returned them. Besides the fit issues I just didn’t like the shape of the brim in the front. It almost looked like a lampshade when it was snapped down. I was able too steam and shape my other straw fedoras but I did not mess with the Milan Stratoliners because they had to be returned. Maybe an open crown modern felt Stratoliner might be worth a try if I knew the brim would take some shaping for “my look”.

Steven

I’m not a fan of fake Milan (Florentine Milan etc.) but I do like the real thing and the hemp Stratoliners make great warm weather hats. Akubra makes some nice hemp hats and personally I like their polypropylene hats too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

Art's are less expensive, compared to Optimo, but they are still excellent hats.
If you are going to order an Art Fawcett, you'd better do it soon, as he is retiring at the end of the year.
When artists retire, their pieces go up in value. I am hoping that will happen with my VSs. [emoji2]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Steven
Don't compare the Florentine Milan Strats to the felt ones. The plastic ones are trash and don't have much of a Strat shape. If you choose to get a new felt Strat, stick with the Premier or Excellent Quality. The open crown Strats are light years better than the preformed Royal Quality ones.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I would like to shape a couple of old hats to open crown. I wear 7 3/8. What style and size block should I get? Who has best prices?
I like the #52 block, straight sides and not too much dome on top. I would suggest 5-3/4 or 6 inch tall but you need to know what that will do to the existing hats. It is possible to lose brim by increasing the height. Will you be removing the sweatband of leaving them in? That will affect the size to get. I now buy my blocks from Mark Havens at https://hatterssupplyhouse.com he is a good guy to work with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo