Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
+1 Brent is great to work with. He needs to keep me in the loop when he finds more 7 1/8 vintage straws or panama's. Hint, hint.

I'll personally vouch for @deadlyhandsome. He recently sold me a great homburg at a fair price. I highly recommend and would gladly buy from him again.

Thank you, Max.
I use Pecard Antique Leather conditioner, but there are many used by different Loungers.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
I am looking at a hat at a local auction that says Eddy Hats designed by Chris Eddy. The only thing on the sweatband is XXXX Beaver. I can not find anything about these hats from a Google search and only a few passing remarks on here. Looking at hats on Ebay the newer ones that say XX Fur Blend are only 10% fur, the rest wool. I'm hoping since this one says Beaver that it is better quality. Does anyone know anything about these hats?

I am looking at a hat at a local auction that says Eddy Hats designed by Chris Eddy. The only thing on the sweatband is XXXX Beaver. I can not find anything about these hats from a Google search and only a few passing remarks on here. Looking at hats on Ebay the newer ones that say XX Fur Blend are only 10% fur, the rest wool. I'm hoping since this one says Beaver that it is better quality. Does anyone know anything about these hats?
Hard to determine much without pics or knowing the vintage. There is/was some connection between Eddy Bros & Bollman Hats so you might try researching Bollman. In the 1950's Eddy Bros was known for their line of hats for rodeo competitors. Hats for women competitors were offered in bright colors. Those hats lived hard lives. I have one of the low crown, big brim Lady Barrel Racers with the Princess back bow ribbon as seen in The Cowboy Hat Book written by Rand & Reynolds.

IMG_4049.JPG

IMG_4050.JPG

IMG_4051.JPG

IMG_4054.JPG

IMG_4053.JPG

Kane

One of the Regulars
Hello, I have a newbie hat bashing question:

I am the proud owner of a new Akubra Campdraft Deluxe open crown hat. This is the first open crown hat I have gotten. The felt on the brim is fairly stiff, but the crown is plyable and easy to mold for what I believe is referred to as a dry bash (no steam or water used). I am still trying out different styles of bashes, but this is all without using steam or water, and it’s fairly easy to put the hat back to the open crown and then try a new bash.
My question is, if I give the hat a dry bash and the hat holds the shape, is it okay to leave it as a dry bash, or should I then apply steam or water to the bash to make it better or more permanent? What would be the benefit, if any, to using steam or water over a dry bash if the hat will take a dry bash?

Btw, the hat is very nice and Trudi at the Hattery / Hatsdirect was very nice and helpful in ordering the hat.

Thank you!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hello, I have a newbie hat bashing question:

I am the proud owner of a new Akubra Campdraft Deluxe open crown hat. This is the first open crown hat I have gotten. The felt on the brim is fairly stiff, but the crown is plyable and easy to mold for what I believe is referred to as a dry bash (no steam or water used). I am still trying out different styles of bashes, but this is all without using steam or water, and it’s fairly easy to put the hat back to the open crown and then try a new bash.
My question is, if I give the hat a dry bash and the hat holds the shape, is it okay to leave it as a dry bash, or should I then apply steam or water to the bash to make it better or more permanent? What would be the benefit, if any, to using steam or water over a dry bash if the hat will take a dry bash?

Btw, the hat is very nice and Trudi at the Hattery / Hatsdirect was very nice and helpful in ordering the hat.

Thank you!

If you like the way it looks dry, that's fine.

The thing about steam is that it "reactivates" the stiffener in the felt and makes it easier to shape, then the hat will hold the shape it dries in.

same principle with getting it wet, except it takes longer to dry.

DRB

One Too Many
Am I alone? I believe, I see it a lot here on the FL.

I have to adjust the pinch of the crown dent away from over my right eye and then place it over my nose (center). All new hats off the shelf are misaligned for my noggin. That is the reason I got into making my own hats over a decade ago. I don't make my own hats anymore. Now I just buy them open-crowned and shape them myself. I have an Optimo coming soon that is open-crowned. It would be a shame to buy a $1000 hat and then have to tear up the felt to form a totally different crown. I may look perfect, but I'm not. :)

Last edited:
I'll personally vouch for @deadlyhandsome. He recently sold me a great homburg at a fair price. I highly recommend and would gladly buy from him again.

YES, Brent has great hats at great prices!!!! I vouch for all the smaller sizes (7 3/8 on down) The larger size hats are just garbage....:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;););) Therefore no one but me should buy them!!;);););););););););););););););););););););););););););););)

Well....ok...I MAY have fibbed...even the big hats are a good deal.....:(:(:(:(. I just want to be the one to be able to buy them all...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I DID get his Stetson "Nostalgia"!!!:):):):)
YES, do not be afraid to buy from Brent!!!!!!
M:):):):)

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab

I have to adjust the pinch of the crown dent away from over my right eye and then place it over my nose (center). All new hats off the shelf are misaligned for my noggin. That is the reason I got into making my own hats over a decade ago. I don't make my own hats anymore. Now I just buy them open-crowned and shape them myself. I have an Optimo coming soon that is open-crowned. It would be a shame to buy a $1000 hat and then have to tear up the felt to form a totally different crown. I may look perfect, but I'm not. :)
I have a similar problem. I have to pull the brim lower over my left eye to make the hat look straight. I must have a weird shaped head. Someday if i get the money I'll go to a custom hat maker with a conformeuter (spelling?) for a new hat. Then I will get to see just how odd my head is. :eek:

As I've mentioned in other threads, I have to crease my hats with the pinch 1/4" to 1/2" towards my right eye if I want it to line up with my nose. Over time they usually migrate slowly back to the left, i.e. back to my hats' true centerlines, so I've learned to live with my "crooked" hats. Most people think their heads and faces are symmetrical, but the truth is that no one has a perfectly symmetrical face/head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points