Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Here’s a question for the Stetson experts:
Which hat would have a better felt:
A current production Royal Deluxe in the Premier open crown variety, or an 80’s era 4X Beaver?
I know that the simple answer would be the 4x Beaver, but I have read that the 4x may not actually have beaver in it, and also that some years were better than others, and I don’t how the 80’s was compared to today.
Thanks!

This is an odd question as the two felts are found on very different types of hats. They are not normally seen as competitors or as steps/grades within the same hierarchy. It’s like saying which is better, a Ford F-150 Lariat or a Ford Mustang GT? And don’t think that just because it’s older it’s better: a lot of junk came out of the 1970s and ‘80s (the ‘60s too, but less so in my opinion).

In my experience, the current Royal De Luxe wins by a HUGE margin. The 4X is usually a western felt and in the 1980s they were stiff, hard, rugged hats but no one raves about the felt quality. The same could be said of the earlier 4X too. Compare it to a 1950s or earlier 3X and that’s a different story. The current (almost departed) Premier line are nice hats that I’m happy to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
7A71168C-D3BD-4388-8968-EE226FA76667.jpeg
^^^^“The only hick is the color, black isn't the most popular..”

Whaaat??
Left to right:
Nutria Quality, NO.1 Quality, Boss Raw Edge Fray, Unknown Black, Borsalino.
Sorry, i couldn’t resist!!
B

tsores

Familiar Face
Is there a formula or ratio for the recommended crown height to a person's facial features? Such as the distance between eyes and chin? I have searched and cannot find any. Thanks.

Is there a formula or ratio for the recommended crown height to a person's facial features? Such as the distance between eyes and chin? I have searched and cannot find any. Thanks.
I have not run across such a formula. Not being the analytic type I just plunk the hat on my head and decide if it looks good or not. The upside to buying an open crowned fedora is you can raise or lower the crown to suit and decide on the sweet spot.

Kane

One of the Regulars
This is an odd question as the two felts are found on very different types of hats. They are not normally seen as competitors or as steps/grades within the same hierarchy. It’s like saying which is better, a Ford F-150 Lariat or a Ford Mustang GT? And don’t think that just because it’s older it’s better: a lot of junk came out of the 1970s and ‘80s (the ‘60s too, but less so in my opinion).

In my experience, the current Royal De Luxe wins by a HUGE margin. The 4X is usually a western felt and in the 1980s they were stiff, hard, rugged hats but no one raves about the felt quality. The same could be said of the earlier 4X too. Compare it to a 1950s or earlier 3X and that’s a different story. The current (almost departed) Premier line are nice hats that I’m happy to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for your insight and info. I have been looking at two hats on EBay: one an 80’s Silverbelly Open Road in 4x Beaver, and the other a new Silverbelly Premier Stratoliner (open crown). Both in my size and both $150. The seller claims that the Premier Strat’s felt is “soft, light, and very pliable”. From his/her claim and your helpful information, I pulled the trigger on the Strat.
Thanks very much

Thank you for your insight and info. I have been looking at two hats on EBay: one an 80’s Silverbelly Open Road in 4x Beaver, and the other a new Silverbelly Premier Stratoliner (open crown). Both in my size and both $150. The seller claims that the Premier Strat’s felt is “soft, light, and very pliable”. From his/her claim and your helpful information, I pulled the trigger on the Strat.
Thanks very much
Good move.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Is that like Fibonacci?

They are related in that consecutive numbers of the Fibonacci sequence converge to the golden ratio, phi (~ 1.618). Algebraically, given a > b > 0, (a+b)/a = a/b = phi. Speculation exists that the ancient Greeks incorporated this in the building of the Parthenon, and that da Vinci used it when creating the Mona Lisa, though these have mostly been debunked. If one searches long enough and grabs reference points of convenience it's pretty easy it derive phi. Others such as Dalí, however, consciously incorporated it in their creations.

Nice to be able use my mathematics degree and history of mathematics for something. Shout out to Dr. Shrinkhande.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

Formulas are great, but there is nothing like going into a store and trying on hats to see what general range of brim widths and crown heights work best for you.

But after you've done all that, you may find that even the tiniest subtle differences between any two hats will affect how you feel a hat looks on your head.

My general range is 2 1/4 to 2 1/2" brim width, and 4 to 4 1/2" front pinch height. My ideals are the mid-points in each of those ranges.

I discovered this by trying on, and then buying, hats. I have some that fall outside those ranges, but don't wear them nearly as much.

I have bought a small number of hats from a particular FL member. Those hats on my head look quite different than when he wore them because our statures are very different.

I am not a collector. In about 30 years of wearing them, I have about as many fedoras because I buy only what I think looks really good on me. And I have some very definite opinions on the details that make a hat look 'right' to me. I have made some mistakes, and at this point, a few of these hats will be put up for sale. There's nothing wrong with these hats. I just don't care for how they look on me.

So the short story is: formulas are great, but you have to see how any particular hat will look on your head, with your face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot