Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Spats McGee said:
I'm the one who started the thread on these not too long ago, so if you run a search for threads started by me, you should come up with it. I'm curious about them, too, but my budget won't let me buy hats just out of curiosity.

Edit: Never mind the search. Here it is: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=46519

Thanks for the info Spats. And thanks to all for your input.
Seems Buffalo is quite like wool then as to weight and density of the felt. Hopefully not as scratchy and irritating. :eusa_doh: Might make for a good winter hat, but for all around wear I will seek out an Akubra in a similar style.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Disregard my now edited stetson question, my new question is does anyone have any navy or similar colored hats they wear? What colors do you wear it with? I'm curious to buy a fedora in that color but unsure.

Any help would be great.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Mr Vim said:
Disregard my now edited stetson question, my new question is does anyone have any navy or similar colored hats they wear? What colors do you wear it with? I'm curious to buy a fedora in that color but unsure.

Any help would be great.

I have one, this new/not vintage Beaver Brand velour:

4604263693_1e70274b4f.jpg

I've worn it with my navy suit as well as my dark and light gray suits - looks good with all of them. I've worn it with more casual attire but I think it works best with "dressier" clothes.

BreinederIndy

New in Town
I give it another try:

who can identify this hat or (even better) can tell me where to get a very close looking one (it have to be crushable, cloth sweatband would be good, too):

hut-1.jpg

BreinederIndy

New in Town
thank you, but not quit what I'm looking for:
1. I'm looking for a bushcraft suitable hat which shouldn't look to noble. I.e. if it got a burnmark it should rather look good than damaged
2. too expensive

Spats McGee

One Too Many
BreinederIndy said:
I give it another try:

who can identify this hat or (even better) can tell me where to get a very close looking one (it have to be crushable, cloth sweatband would be good, too):

hut-1.jpg
I'm not sure how strict your requirements (crushable & cloth sweat) are, but when I look at that hat, I think "Camp Draft." It's not crushable and it has a leather sweat, but I think it's probably suitable for some fairly rough wear and tear.

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=19&returncat=Akubra+Hats&returnpage=1

Edited to add: You might also check the Christy's Foldaway on this page: http://www.hornetshats.com/f_hatview.php?link=Fur Felts

Mind you, I do not own a Christy's hat, so I can't speak to their quality or durability. Surely someone around here has one, though. I do think it's crushable with a cloth sweat, though.

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Stetson colors

I'm thinking about ordering a navy blue fedora.I'm considering getting a Stetson.There are some Stetson styles available in navy.But the particular style I like doesn't come in navy.However it is available in midnight.In some online pictures a midnight Stetson hat looks like a navy hat.In other pictures midnight looks so dark that it is practically black.What I am wondering about is if there is much of a difference in color between a Stetson hat in midnight and a Stetson hat in navy.Are they pretty similar?Or does the Stetson midnight color look closer to black than it does navy?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BlackBrim said:
I thinking about ordering a navy blue fedora.I'm considering getting a Stetson.There are some Stetson styles available in navy.But the particular style I like doesn't come in navy.However it is available in midnight.In some online pictures a midnight Stetson hat looks like a navy hat.In other pictures midnight looks so dark that it is practically black.What I am wondering about is if there is much of a difference in color between a Stetson hat in midnight and a Stetson hat in navy.Are they pretty similar?Or does the Stetson midnight color look closer to black than it does navy?
Look at this one. I was considering this one, some day.

http://www.custom-hatter.com/hats.html#focus click on "The Houston."

DStuttgen

New in Town
Looking for a Haberdasher

Has anyone here done business with John Helmer Haberdasher of Portland Oregon? Can you give any feedback? Or, does anyone have a favorite Haberdasher in the midwest, ie Wisconsin? Who do you recommend for making a hat purchase?

Thanks, Dan

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
John Helmer Habershasher, Inc.

Never been physically in the Portland store, but I have done very limited business with them via website www.johnhelmer.com and phone 1-866-855-4976, though it was a few years back, and items were not hats but a military beret and a couple of ivies/driving caps.

Selection was decent yet not especially wide, and prices were much better than most--the beret was only $18 while the genuine Harris tweed cap from Scotland was merely $38 and the 100% Donegal lambswool herringbone tweed from Ireland was but $48.

I don't remember the numbers, but do recall shipping and handling being on the high side and the time from order to receiving rather longish.

As for hat shopping in general, I find the best approach is to narrow down your choices to a handful via studious interaction with this site, then go about finding a vendor who sells those particular styles based on your own personal criteria--price, service, S & H charges, speed of delivery, etc.

If you are new to hats and feel you must go into a brick-and-mortar retail establishment to try a bunch on in order to get a sense of what looks good on, there are several places in Chicago and Ohio that may be worth the drive from The Cheesehead State. Hopefully others here can provide their addresses and contact info.

DStuttgen

New in Town
Thank you Alter Ego for your input. I am in the process of Googling and bookmarking sites that deal in men's head-ware. Many sites show sundry exterior angles of their hats but I don't see any interior views. If I am going to pay more than $150.00 for a hat I want to be assured that the interior of the hat is just as finished as the exterior, ie. a proper sweatband and liner. I am not adverse to purchasing from an internet store and would more than likely do that than drive 100-500 miles or more for a brick and mortar shop. We do actually have a shop in Green Bay which is only 30 miles south of me and I have purchased a nice Bailey wool felt Homburg there. It has been over a year since I have been back there. I really should run down and do some business there; I should hate to see that place go out of business for want of customers.
I would post his business card here if that is okay and not against any forum rules.

Dan

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
BreinederIndy said:
I give it another try:

Crushable can either mean very high grade fur felt (though that's usually referred to has "rollable") or low grade wool felt which won't last very long.

Why is it being crushable so important?

deano

New in Town
There are a couple on eBay at mo
the Knox is a Jaguar and the cavanagh just says new York.
Looking for my first vintage
don't think they are worth loads.
Could Do with a bit of help
and a portis that looks nice.
(I've become obsessed)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy