Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
deano said:
Are these both good makes or are cavanagh a step above?

Both are exceptional brands.

Rlk asked the right question. Pre-1956 Cavanaghs are, in theory if not in practicality, better than Knox, because Cavanagh kept their operations segregated at the Hat Corporation of America factory, and John Cavanagh personally picked the best of the best of the hatters to make his hats. Knox and Dobbs and the other brands were made together on the same factory floor. I don't know if this practice continued after his death in 1957, and the purchase of the Hat Corp. by the Salesky Bros. in 1956. The Saleskys may have consolidated operations. In any event, there was no differentiation in the manufacture of the brands after 1970.

Brad

deano

New in Town
so the knox jaguar is a $15 hat and is prob from the late 50s to 60s
is $40 a good deal?
or should i wait for somethin a bit different?.
a saw a Stetson Whippet Hat in Original Box
but they would not post to uk :mad:

naelo

New in Town
Can anyone please provide any information on this Borsalino Hat...

Ebayphotos011.jpg

I purchased this hat from an estate sale in Lake Geneva, WI. The estate, mind you, was from a huge, majestic mansion along the beautiful shoreline of Geneva Lake...near Chicago. My intention is to sell this hat (on Ebay perhaps), as times are tough. I have done some research on this hat and have read a few things but I am not sure how reliable they are. When I list something on Ebay I believe in providing an honest description (to the best of my ability) when trying to sell a high-quality, vintage item such as this. So any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have tried to post as many pertinent photographs as I can to give you the best overall look at this hat. Here is what I know: This hat is made of grey brushed-fur, in excellent, nearly-new condition with a black ribbon band around it. This hat appears to have been rarely worn, if ever. The leather band around the inside is in excellent, nearly new condition. The grey brushed-fur is spotless and as you can see. In one photo you can distinctly see the spiral at the top - from the brushing. The hat is stamped with the golden "Borsalino" stamp that I have seen on many other fedoras. It also has a golden stamped imprint of "Diamante" Twenty Five at the back of the leather sweat band and Lytton's -which I discovered is the fine clothing department store that this fedora was purchased from. This department store was located in "the Loop" in Chicago, IL. I believe the store closed in the mid-eighties.

Here are the rest of the photos....My hope is that a few of you will come to my aid with your special knowledge in this arena. Thanks in advance!

Ebayphotos010.jpg

Ebayphotos002.jpg

Ebayphotos004.jpg

Ebayphotos005.jpg

Ebayphotos007.jpg

Ebayphotos006.jpg

Ebayphotos003.jpg

Ebayphotos008.jpg

Ebayphotos001.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
naelo said:
Can anyone please provide any information on this Borsalino Hat...
Ebayphotos011.jpg

Your photos are good - as is the hat. I would list it on Ebay and let the images do the selling. 'Fuzzies' aren't for everyone but those who know vintage fedoras and are into them would probably prize this sample, in a size 3/8 at that.

I'd guess late '50s/early '60s judging by the styling inside and out.

A similar Borsalino sold for only $20 and change recently on Ebay because the sloppy seller typed "BARSALINO" rather that the accurate brand name. As another member here pointed out, that may have cost them $100 or more.

BreinederIndy

New in Town
Dinerman said:
Crushable can either mean very high grade fur felt (though that's usually referred to has "rollable") or low grade wool felt which won't last very long.

Why is it being crushable so important?

Becouse I literally want to able to stuff it away in my backpack or my shoulderbag when I'm on hikes etc.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
naelo said:
Ebayphotos011.jpg

I purchased this hat from an estate sale in Lake Geneva, WI. The estate, mind you, was from a huge, majestic mansion along the beautiful shoreline of Geneva Lake...near Chicago. My intention is to sell this hat (on Ebay perhaps), as times are tough. I have done some research on this hat and have read a few things but I am not sure how reliable they are. When I list something on Ebay I believe in providing an honest description (to the best of my ability) when trying to sell a high-quality, vintage item such as this. So any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have tried to post as many pertinent photographs as I can to give you the best overall look at this hat. Here is what I know: This hat is made of grey brushed-fur, in excellent, nearly-new condition with a black ribbon band around it. This hat appears to have been rarely worn, if ever. The leather band around the inside is in excellent, nearly new condition. The grey brushed-fur is spotless and as you can see. In one photo you can distinctly see the spiral at the top - from the brushing. The hat is stamped with the golden "Borsalino" stamp that I have seen on many other fedoras. It also has a golden stamped imprint of "Diamante" Twenty Five at the back of the leather sweat band and Lytton's -which I discovered is the fine clothing department store that this fedora was purchased from. This department store was located in "the Loop" in Chicago, IL. I believe the store closed in the mid-eighties.

Here are the rest of the photos....My hope is that a few of you will come to my aid with your special knowledge in this arena. Thanks in advance!

Pity it's not a 1/8 (for me at least); you wouldn't even need to worry about eBay. I've been looking for a minty Vint. 'fuzzy' for a long time. Alas, it's just too big.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'll agree with Gene on the dating, though we've got members who know Borsos far better than I do. I can say that the Diamante 25 is one of the most common vintage Borso models on ebay.

Sleepy LaGoon

New in Town
Hat Identification Needed

I just finished watching the early '80's TV series "Oppenheimer" about J. Robert and the development of the atomic bomb. Overall, I was impressed with the period sets and wardrobe. In the final episode, there is a scene with a couple of hats and I'm curious to know what they are:

4740460511_fb66f12ea6_o.jpg

4740460575_dfc8eaf0e2_o.jpg

Note the prominent ridge visible in the second photo. Anyone familiar with what these might be?

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Quick Question

I know I'm sort of "in and out" of the Lounge, so this may harken back to before a lot of people reading were even members...

I think I recall a thread discussing differences in European and American sized hats, but can't find it in search. Anyone remember that, know where it is, or have this information?

A little more detail: If I remember correctly, European sizes run different. If you know a hat was straight from Italy, for example, a hat labeled "7 1/2" would be larger or smaller than a true "60 cm," which is what we call 7 1/2.

Anyone?

deano

New in Town
Borsalino

are their lots of diferent grades of Borsalino or are they all good
ive seen a Grey Beaver Felt Fedora borsalino for $30 is this a bargin or what?
also i live in uk and over here im a size 7 is it diferent in us.
please let me know soon
thank you

deano

New in Town
SteveAS said:
If it's in good condition and you like the hat, it sounds like an excellent buy.

hard to see the colour from the picture i have, but it looks very nice.
was a bit concerned that it is fake as when i looked borsalino hats up they are all $200+

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There are very few Borsos with beaver in them. If it's not marked as such on the sweat (or with "castoro" or something of the like), then it's not beaver - which is not to say it might not be a good hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy