Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
jwalls said:
The numbers and letters on the flanges and blocks may be either the hat maker's or the manufacturer's codes. I have blocks of the same style marked #221 and #52.

I see. I guess, then, they vary from one to the next. Thanks!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There's no answer to that. Both made hats in every quality, from decent to the equal of any other company's best.

freehandbash

New in Town
Golden Era quality sweatbands?

Is there a company out there that makes the Quality/same color sweatbands that used to be in fedora's in the 20's through to the 40's ? If not?why not?
I have used the ones that have been recommended in older threads (J.W. hats.com) And they are "OK". But I (and others)would really like to be able to have the thicker,pumpkin colored,2" wide sweats that used to be in the older vintage hats
If no one offers this kind of quality sweatband to the typical consumer, I think some of us here should pool our resources and see about contracting a hat supply company to build them for us. Is this possible??[huh]

david4king

New in Town
I am have some trouble keeping the brims of my hats in the right shape. They tend to get wavy. Is there something that can help me with this? Also, it takes me about 45 min to get it strait again. Is there a trick to getting the brim in good shape quick?

freehandbash

New in Town
several ways; 1, try steaming it with a tea kettle(keep the sweatband away from steam as it will shrink/distort it) hold desired shape,let dry in just seconds 2,spray it (saturate it in worst case senario's)with distilled water,shape by hand,hang hat till dry or rest hat on back of broad backed couch. If it has totally lost its ability to hold shape then try a commercial grade hat stiffiner or spray on starch or even hair spray(but not too much or you'll turn it into a hard hat!:eusa_doh: )
If all your brims are getting misshaped then you probably need to get a hat rack and/or always place hat on the crown when not on head.
ps. If you wet your brim then you need to wet the whole hat! not just a small section as it may tend to leave water stains. (no need for full saturation though) And as an aside, some hats do'nt like to be fully saturated. Good luck!:)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
freehandbash said:
Is there a company out there that makes the Quality/same color sweatbands that used to be in fedora's in the 20's through to the 40's ? If not?why not?
I have used the ones that have been recommended in older threads (J.W. hats.com) And they are "OK". But I (and others)would really like to be able to have the thicker,pumpkin colored,2" wide sweats that used to be in the older vintage hats
If no one offers this kind of quality sweatband to the typical consumer, I think some of us here should pool our resources and see about contracting a hat supply company to build them for us. Is this possible??[huh]

There are a couple of companies I know that offer what you're looking for, one of which I like better than the other, as I was looking for a thinner, softer 1920s/1930s style sweatband in the classic color. The other company's leather seemed to thick for my tastes, but both use good roan leather, and can be had in 2" sizes. The problem is that they only sell wholesale to hatters, so I don't know if you could pool or not.

I thought Art, at one time, was ordering a bunch of blank ones to sell to folks that just wanted a sweatband or two, but I don't know if he ever did.

Brad

freehandbash

New in Town
Well Brad you really let me down here.........lol
What I do'nt understand about what you said about "thinner" leather sweats of old is that my evaluation of the older sweats as appossed to the new is that the older ones were thicker......right? (If you like thin, the 2" goat skin sweats from jw hats will fill that bill albeit not in the classic color.) One of the attributes that I like about the thicker old ones is they last longer and are more comfy/cushy.
Is there not someone(hat co.) that cannot see the money to be made by selling 10 to 20 hat bands per size to people like us? Maybe even gold stamped logo'd ones??? I'd buy em. I gather others on here would too.
How do I get this question to MR. Art? or at least ask if he is able to sell me some sweatbands.
I still think those with some pull here at the Lounge might be able to swade a hat co. somewhere to help us out........given enuff lettuce.;)
Do you think you and others would be interested in persuing this proposition? would it hurt to ask about this in a new post?

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Hat OCD

Was driving behind a chevy SUV this morning and read it's model name as "UNDERWELT" ... Turned out it was actually "UPLANDER LT" ...

Do I need a doctor?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
freehandbash said:
Well Brad you really let me down here.........lol
What I do'nt understand about what you said about "thinner" leather sweats of old is that my evaluation of the older sweats as appossed to the new is that the older ones were thicker......right? (If you like thin, the 2" goat skin sweats from jw hats will fill that bill albeit not in the classic color.) One of the attributes that I like about the thicker old ones is they last longer and are more comfy/cushy.
Is there not someone(hat co.) that cannot see the money to be made by selling 10 to 20 hat bands per size to people like us? Maybe even gold stamped logo'd ones??? I'd buy em. I gather others on here would too.
How do I get this question to MR. Art? or at least ask if he is able to sell me some sweatbands.
I still think those with some pull here at the Lounge might be able to swade a hat co. somewhere to help us out........given enuff lettuce.;)
Do you think you and others would be interested in persuing this proposition? would it hurt to ask about this in a new post?

Hi FHB, I did make a deal a few years back with another well known hatter & bought a few hundred sweats that were outdated for his company and put it out there on the Lounge. These were the modern 1 5/8 leathers in brown & black and I STILL have quite a few after selling at a discount to other pro hatters and a few Lounge members so, there really ISN'T the market to warrant investing in them.
You can call Fern Thatcher or Singer Michaeli ( both quality leather mfgs) and see if you can swing a deal but please don't put it off on others to invest in your needs, step up & do it yourself. Maybe you can join forces with a western hatter as they tend to use wider sweats.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hope that I can sell some stuff on ebay soon, so I can purchase a custom hat from you, Art. Those black sweatbands sound nice. All the hats I've had so far are Akubras, and I'm starting to get tired of brown.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Neophyte said:
I hope that I can sell some stuff on ebay soon, so I can purchase a custom hat from you, Art. Those black sweatbands sound nice. All the hats I've had so far are Akubras, and I'm starting to get tired of brown.

I'll be here when you are ready Sir!! ;)

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I need help trying to search for a particular hat on here. It's one of the Stetsons with the brim and crown completely sewn in concentric rings (for aesthetic effect). I think it was grey. I remember seeing pics of it, but I can't seem to find them. Forgot what the name is, so none of my search terms are working. Can anyone help me out finding them, please?

Thanks,

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Oh... :confused:

Well,... Spinner, Schoble, Stetson... They all start with 's'... and I've heard it both ways... :p

Thanks for the help, though! Exactly what I'm looking for!

freehandbash

New in Town
statement from Art F.~" and see if you can swing a deal but please don't put it off on others to invest in your needs, step up & do it yourself."
Thanks for the info and the offered help Art, But I was not trying to put it off on anyone,sheesh. No need for discrediting my honorable intent.
I'm just a man that would like to be able to replace some sweatbands in otherwise pristine vintage high quality hats that come close to the originals......just like a lot of other men here at the lounge.(or so I've read)
not tryin to "get into the biz" in any kind of big threatening way to anyone.
at any rate, I still plan on purchasing a custom VS if you will allow me to defend my honor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner