Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
Thank you for the reply. YES..you are right ..they think I should get a closet full of jeans (ripped and torn ones for about 200 euros each)..and t shirts with obscenities...put my hair up in spikes and get a few tattoos. Perhaps the problem is that I'm in North Italy ..and they 've been ruined by the American influence. Soon I'll be moving to the South where I do believe they have a more elegant sense of fashion. It simply shocks me that one of theo ldest Italian brands is Borsalino and half the people don't even appreciate it.

danofarlington said:
I'm a big Borsalino fan also, albeit here in the U.S. I think we have a case where contrary to past decades, fashion moves from West to East. So American fashions including vintage clothing, after catching on here, are being picked up in Europe. Perhaps in Italy hats carry the baggage of being associated with decades past or with criminal elements, but here they are increasingly cool. It is ironic that Americans are the ones demanding Italian hats in Italy. I think the ultimate defense is if one looks good in his hats--that answers everything. Maybe the Italians think you should be wearing baggy pants or kooky fashions and are surprised when you don't. But maybe you'll change their minds. I see a number of European lounge members, and no doubt they know better than me on this question. I would like to hear from them.

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
Honestly, yes..I'd like to hear from some members in Europe to see what they think. I have had a rude awakening since moving to Italy..where I thought I'd find elegance, style dignity.. Instead I've found that nobody knows how to dress ..not how to comport themselves. It is rare to find a man or woman who know how to dress. Same with my girlfriend ..she dresses beautifully..with a HAT ..and people stare. ~!! I see only ..90 % jeans, tattoos, body piercings and women who pride themselves on displaying parts of their underwear while strolling down the street. I think I'm the only guy in the whole village who has a Borsalino...one of the most revered names in Italian fashion for over a century.. STRANGE!!

QUOTE=Borsalino Fan]Thank you for the reply. YES..you are right ..they think I should get a closet full of jeans (ripped and torn ones for about 200 euros each)..and t shirts with obscenities...put my hair up in spikes and get a few tattoos. Perhaps the problem is that I'm in North Italy ..and they 've been ruined by the American influence. Soon I'll be moving to the South where I do believe they have a more elegant sense of fashion. It simply shocks me that one of theo ldest Italian brands is Borsalino and half the people don't even appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
Honestly, yes..I'd like to hear from some members in Europe to see what they think. I have had a rude awakening since moving to Italy..where I thought I'd find elegance, style dignity.. Instead I've found that nobody knows how to dress ..not how to comport themselves. It is rare to find a man or woman who know how to dress. Same with my girlfriend ..she dresses beautifully..with a HAT ..and people stare. ~!! I see only ..90 % jeans, tattoos, body piercings and women who pride themselves on displaying parts of their underwear while strolling down the street. I think I'm the only guy in the whole village who has a Borsalino...one of the most revered names in Italian fashion for over a century.. STRANGE!!

Borsalino Fan said:
Thank you for the reply. YES..you are right ..they think I should get a closet full of jeans (ripped and torn ones for about 200 euros each)..and t shirts with obscenities...put my hair up in spikes and get a few tattoos. Perhaps the problem is that I'm in North Italy ..and they 've been ruined by the American influence. Soon I'll be moving to the South where I do believe they have a more elegant sense of fashion. It simply shocks me that one of theo ldest Italian brands is Borsalino and half the people don't even appreciate it.

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
Qestion

Anyone found a way to make "worn" areas(weak felt areas that will turn into holes) in felt hats look better/fix.?
Such as when a previous owner had a wicket pin point pitch in front of the hat and always grabbed the hat by the crown. The only thing I can think of is to over apply felt stiffener to the worn area to slow down the hole creation...[huh]

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
Where do you live? There are special stores here in Italy which specialize in doing exactly what you mentione. They clean , block, reline, fix the little holes etc. Infortunately the americans don't have those talents. You might try J J Hat in New York.

jeffconnors said:
Anyone found a way to make "worn" areas(weak felt areas that will turn into holes) in felt hats look better/fix.?
Such as when a previous owner had a wicket pin point pitch in front of the hat and always grabbed the hat by the crown. The only thing I can think of is to over apply felt stiffener to the worn area to slow down the hole creation...[huh]

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
Borsalino Fan said:
Where do you live? There are special stores here in Italy which specialize in doing exactly what you mentione. They clean , block, reline, fix the little holes etc. Infortunately the americans don't have those talents. You might try J J Hat in New York.
Do these talented folks have a website?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There have been discussions about reinforcing the inside of the pinch area to avoid or stop a hole. I haven't done it, but if you search for "pinch" "hole" and "repair", you should come up with something.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino Fan said:
There are special stores here in Italy which specialize in doing exactly what you mentione. They clean , block, reline, fix the little holes etc. Infortunately the americans don't have those talents.

Interesting. I would have thought that once the felt is compromised to this extent it's time to get a new hat or wear it with holes. ;)

Borsalino Fan said:

All the felt hat companies are / were in the North. That is the traditional felt hat making area of Italy not the South.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
jeffconnors said:

If there is no hole the hat could be reversed. Remove the ribbon and sweatband and reinstall them with the old front as the new back. This will allow the weak point to be in the back and nice "new" felt in the front.

Very common thing to do back in the day.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
BanjoMerlin said:
If there is no hole the hat could be reversed. Remove the ribbon and sweatband and reinstall them with the old front as the new back. This will allow the weak point to be in the back and nice "new" felt in the front.

I think that makes better sense than trying to repair or reenforce an important area (such as the crease on front) that is seriously worn (or even worn through). In most cases however, if the condition bothered me, I'd still rather invest in another new (or like new) hat. ;)

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
Yes ..that is true about the companies that manufacture. I'm referring to the small shops who do repairs, cleaning, blocking , etc. By the way..would anyone know where to find one of those machines that used to be used to stamp one's initials in gold on the leather sweatbands? High quality haberdashers in the USA used to do it ..but sadly there's no such thing as a quality store in the USA anymore. Unfortunately I can't find such a machine here in Italy and the Borsalino factory in Alesssandria is no help at all. The Usuelli family used to be VERY accomodating as to repairs etc..but since they changed hands..this new owners are useless.

Thank you.

mayserwegener said:
All the felt hat companies are / were in the North. That is the traditional felt hat making area of Italy not the South.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Borsalino Fan said:
Yes ..that is true about the companies that manufacture. I'm referring to the small shops who do repairs, cleaning, blocking , etc. By the way..would anyone know where to find one of those machines that used to be used to stamp one's initials in gold on the leather sweatbands? High quality haberdashers in the USA used to do it ..but sadly there's no such thing as a quality store in the USA anymore. Unfortunately I can't find such a machine here in Italy and the Borsalino factory in Alesssandria is no help at all. The Usuelli family used to be VERY accomodating as to repairs etc..but since they changed hands..this new owners are useless.

Thank you.

You might try a quality leather accessories store. They emboss gold initials on wallets, desk sets, etc. I think they could do a sweatband, if willing.

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
Thank you..I'll give that a try. I did find a bookbinder here who embossed gold letters on books..but the problem is that for a hatband ..the machine is different. Meantime ..would anyone know how to find an old haberdasher in the USA who might be willing to sell his machine? Is there even a hat store or haberdasher left in the USA ? I've tried reaching my old salesman from Scott & Co. in Boston...but no luck.

Wolfmanjack said:
You might try a quality leather accessories store. They emboss gold initials on wallets, desk sets, etc. I think they could do a sweatband, if willing.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
BanjoMerlin said:

Very common thing to do back in the day.

Here is an innovative idea from the venerable John L. Ermatinger, Hatter and author of Scientific Hat Finishing and Renovating, published in 1919:

Ermatinger2.jpg

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
Banjo and wolfman, great info, seems like the best solution to the problem. I don;t like the worn spots but the hat(s) in question are one of a kind vintage and I cant just buy a new one......

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
jeffconnors said:
Banjo and wolfman, great info, seems like the best solution to the problem. I don;t like the worn spots but the hat(s) in question are one of a kind vintage and I cant just buy a new one......

My thought process doesn't usually go to "buy a new hat" since most of mine are at least 40 years old and weren't particularly easy to find.

The front to back flip isn't particularly hard to do.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
From what I can see, it's color and felt quality. Here, the OR is 4x and silver belly or black, while here, the felt color is described as natural and the felt isn't defined. The master is also said to be longer than the OR, but I can't see what that means in the photos, as they appear to have the same crease and have the same brim width. Here, the master is said to have Sovereign quality felt.

Pops

New in Town
Hat siz 7/8

I am currently looking at a hat on e-bay. It is a Stetson Playboy, but the size shown in the band is 7/8. Can anyone tell me what size this is? I like the hat, but don't want to bid on it until I know the size.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran