Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge, Manic. Unless you want it to be perfect and without a wrinkle just steam and brush and wear as is. If you'd put up some pics you may get other opinions. Do you know how to do that? Upload your photos to a host such as photobucket. Then copy and past the IMG code from the host to the Lounge post. It will then be there for all to see. Again, welcome aboard! ;)

ManicMagpie

New in Town
Re: Inherited Churchill Ltd. Fedora

Thanks for the advice, Zetwal. Knowing little about such things, I just wanted to be sure I didn't have something of serious value on my hands. (I didn't think I had anything more than a middle-priced/-quality hat, know the old guy as well as I did, but it never hurts to ask, eh?)
Thanks for the quick reply, and the welcome. I was here a few times lurking a couple years ago as "Hat Chick" but couldn't seem to log in, so I'm starting fresh. I'll get an avatar pic posted asap as well as a pic of this new acquisition.
;-)
-- Juliana

Last edited:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I was here a few times lurking a couple years ago as "Hat Chick" but couldn't seem to log in, so I'm starting fresh. I'll get an avatar pic posted asap as well as a pic of this new acquisition.

It's great to have you back. What do you think of the new Lounge look? We look forward to hearing more from you again soon. :cool2:

ManicMagpie

New in Town
Another Rambling Question....

It's great to have you back. What do you think of the new Lounge look? We look forward to hearing more from you again soon. :cool2:
Me like! Especially the Mobile Phone interface, it's pretty easy to navigate and a bit easier to read on my hand. Oops I mean phone (it seems to be attached at times.)

So:
How do I tell the difference between "fur felt" and "wool felt"? Am I correct in assuming it's just a level of quality? Beaver v. sheep? My real question is what, if any, are the trick(s) in telling them apart?
Here's some data on the two hats in question:
I have my dad's homburg (Cavanaugh, late 60s, lt. grey), my husband's grandfather's fedora (Churchill, unsure of age, "gunmetal" according to tag inside band= a warm dark greyish colour). Pictures soon if ya need them.

That's it for info. And I'll try to shush now. Thanks!

--Juliana

I return you now to your regularly scheduled forum.

Bigboy

New in Town
I've been following the posts here for several months with great interest. Lots of good information. Thanks for sharing. This is my first post and my question may seem a little like blasphemy for those who are primarily interested in hat restoration. But here it is. How do you make a hat look old? I have several old (past their prime) cowboy hats that I would like to make into "character hats." Some new hatters offer the service of "trail dust, sweat staining or aging." I'm sure that the same thing is done by the movie industry. I'm too old to hit the trail again and certainly don't want to work hard enough to sweat it up myself. How is this done and what tricks are used to make a hat that would make John Wayne proud?

Thanks, Bigboy

I've been following the posts here for several months with great interest. Lots of good information. Thanks for sharing. This is my first post and my question may seem a little like blasphemy for those who are primarily interested in hat restoration. But here it is. How do you make a hat look old? I have several old (past their prime) cowboy hats that I would like to make into "character hats." Some new hatters offer the service of "trail dust, sweat staining or aging." I'm sure that the same thing is done by the movie industry. I'm too old to hit the trail again and certainly don't want to work hard enough to sweat it up myself. How is this done and what tricks are used to make a hat that would make John Wayne proud?

Thanks, Bigboy

Take it off your head, throw it in the river, shoot a few holes in it with a .45, then take it out and stomp it in the mud and/or cow manure. Let it dry and then drag it through some trail dust. Wear it in 95 degree weather for a day or two. That oughta 'bout do it, podner.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Interesting question, Bigboy, and welcome. We do have one or two member that specialize in this sort of thing. One guy in particular showed us one or more of the hats that he had weathered to look a certain way. I'll look around here later to see if I can find his handle. I think Mike Moore at Buckaroo does this kind of thing too. I don't know if he shares his secrets, however! You can ask. Meanwhile, you may very well hear from others with expertise in this area. I know my reply is not very helpful, but it does give me a chance to welcome you to the Lounge.

I thought of those kinds of things but I prefer to wear a clean hat on my head. I just want it to look that way. I guess I'm just a poser. Bigboy

Yeah, me too. Just joshing with ya. ;) I'm sure as Zetwal said, there are folks who have "distressed" their hats and might have some ideas. Folks are nice here, most are glad to help out. When you do get your hats fixed up, show us some pictures!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

Thanks, Bigboy

In the Indiana Jones fedora circles, those looking to mimic the hat from the "Streets of Cairo" scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark use a product called Fuller's Earth to add the dust/dirty look.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Sweat stains can be replicated with salt-water solution and spray bottle. Easy to purchase some sterile dirt product of your choice where plants or hardware are sold. Apply until desired level of filth is reached.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I have yet to buy a hat stretcher and have never handled one, so I am unfamiliar with them. I see some on ebay marked 6-7/8. Am I right to assume that the 6-7/8 is the smallest size that the stretcher opens to? That it starts at 6-7/8 and opens larger? Or is 6-7/8 the max size it opens to? (Thanks in advance)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I can't speak for all of them, but mine says 6 7/8 and opens to a 7 3/4 (I think, I don't have it right now).
I like the ones with the sizes written on the bars.

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Thank you, sir. That is what I thought (never having actually seen one other than on the Internet), but I wanted to make sure before I started ordering things.

buler

I'll Lock Up
I can't speak for all of them, but mine says 6 7/8 and opens to a 7 3/4 (I think, I don't have it right now).
I like the ones with the sizes written on the bars.

I've had them marked 6 3/4 up to 7 1/4. Its the starting size. Depending on the marked size, the widths can vary. Most of them I've seen or had have been marked 6 7/8.

B

W_B_K

New in Town
Hey folks! Searched but did not find a definitive answer:

I inherited a couple of hats years ago from my grandfather. I have never worn them as they are too small, but sure would like to. The hats are a size 7, but I am 7 3/8-7 1/2.

I understand this is beyond something a hat stretcher can do, but could a pro shop like Optimo do this? Sure would rather use them then sell them... I would save them for my son but I'm 99.99% sure his head will be way bigger than a 7. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran