Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Pardon me if Ive said this here, but buying hats through the mail is a very iffy proposition.

Before I got my hat block, I have been dissatisfied more often than not with what Ive bought through the mail, whether through a reputable company, or ebay. Thats why I dont, if ever, buy online anymore, unless that hat looks like it has enough material to fit over my block.

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
I took a risk buying my first hat over the internet, the Fed IV. I was extremely trepidatious about getting the right one (hat size, brim, crown, etc.) , but it worked out great, thankfully. I'm extremely happy with it and it's often made me wished I had two more hats; one in a very dark/granite colour, and a brown one, to match better what I was wearing. Unfortunately, there aren't too many hat shops with much variety near me.

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
Discolouration - does this hat just need a brushing?
!CClM8,!!mk~$(KGrHqEOKj0E0TP+8dr5BNLlW(5rj!~~_3.JPG

fmw

One Too Many
Pardon me if Ive said this here, but buying hats through the mail is a very iffy proposition.

Before I got my hat block, I have been dissatisfied more often than not with what Ive bought through the mail, whether through a reputable company, or ebay. Thats why I dont, if ever, buy online anymore, unless that hat looks like it has enough material to fit over my block.

Apparently you don't live 120 miles from the nearests hatter like me. ;)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I took a risk buying my first hat over the internet, the Fed IV.

It's all a risk by Internet, that's true. But to get the vast selection available there, I've learned to live with it. It is true that very often the hat looks different than what you thought, and looks different on me than what I imagined. But when I buy it's the result of very pedantic Internet shopping, and even if it isn't exactly what I thought, I know it was the best I could do via long distance. Then I live with it, and I find it expands my concept of what I wanted in the first place. Sometimes I think that if I am only locked into what my preconceived notion was, I would have a lesser collection of hats than I do. It is also true that the ideal is to go into the hat store and find out right there what you like, and might like, and so on. But I take the risk of Internet shopping for the selection available.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Apparently you don't live 120 miles from the nearests hatter like me. ;)

No, I live 30 miles outside of NYC where there are at least a couple of good, reputable hatters.;)

However, I like to do things myself, so, over time I tend to acquire things needed to do repairs, as I had done first with bicycles, then cars, motorcycles, houses, african drums, and now hats.

Of course, if hats were more mainstream, thered be more hatters, both local and on the interwebs. But until that happens, I will continue to be as discerning as I can. Also, luckily for me, I dont have that burning desire to amass a huge collection of anything. I have what I have and am generally satisfied with it.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Discolouration - does this hat just need a brushing?
!CClM8,!!mk~$(KGrHqEOKj0E0TP+8dr5BNLlW(5rj!~~_3.JPG

Although I can't see the picture (work computer here), I would recommend brushing a hat before cleaning. Felt sucks up dust and fabric from the air like a little sponge (along with moisture, too!). If you already own a hat and you're trying to even out the color, give it a good brushing. There are some FAQs on routine hat care by Mr. Deckard and I believe they're still on the front page stickies.

On the other hand, if it's drastically uneven, you could either be dealing with a "dusting" issue, where the manufacturer used a colored powder to even the color of the finished product (and the powder has since fallen off), or you may need to give it a good naptha bath to remove soiling. In either case, the casual hat wearer may want to consider contacting a local hat dealer for a nice cleaning and reblocking.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Bows in back were more common a long time ago. Someone posted a film here a while back from the 1920s, teens maybe? where just about all the mens hats had back bows. I also think the film was from Europe, maybe Italy. If someone remembers this better than I do, please clarify.

My 'house' hat, a Dobbs, came with a back bow. When I bought it (off the bay) I didnt know it had a back bow - the pictures didnt make it obvious, and I didnt know any better to ask. I removed the entire ribbon and remounted it with a standard left side bow. I have since replaced that ribbon and bow completely with a left side flying V (double bow on the rear side).

My newest porker has a back bow which I am going to leave there.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I thought I remembered that rlk said that back bows became popular for a short time in the 1950s, too. I could be wrong.
You are correct--not so short. Mid-50's through the end of the decade. Plenty of stingy flat-top and pork-pie back-bows. I've certainly seen examples from each of the first 6 decades of the 20th Century.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I thought I remembered that. Thanks, rlk. That is one style I still don't have represented in my small collection. I'll get one eventually.

intéressant... merci beaucoup. I found no reference to the hatmaker on a quick google search.

Alan,
I'll bet when you get it refurbed ( at the price you paid, you could afford to do a COMPLETE refurb on it :) ) , you will have a DYNOMITE hat for sure !!
Onward thru the Fog :)

Like many of us, I've been accumulating some hatmaking tools and supplies... I look forward to using these modest finds for practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner