Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jacob2011

New in Town
I have been trying to find this hat

Hi People,

Thanks to the admin for opening such a platform and for people who are contributing.

My question is, I really liked this hat I saw in a picture in the news. I tried to find on every site, i cant really make out what to classify it as, it kind of looks like a fedora but does not have the common material used for fedora (wool, leather). This hat seems to have a nylon material (or whatever material one uses for waterproof) and also has a band on the hat thus giving it a fedora look but not quite. Anyone know this hat?

I tried to post pictures of this hat but it seems as if the site only allows link, i am not sure if they turn up. but if you search 'german alonso sherlock' on google images then you will know the hat i am talking about. just in case anyone thinks i am trying to do something bad, the topic is that german alonso is training a vulture called "sherlock" for the German police so that it can detect dead bodies in woodlands.

Anyone that can help would be very grateful

German-police-replace-sniffer-dogs-VULTURES-hunt-dead-bodies.html
imgres

Hi People,

Thanks to the admin for opening such a platform and for people who are contributing.

My question is, I really liked this hat I saw in a picture in the news. I tried to find on every site, i cant really make out what to classify it as, it kind of looks like a fedora but does not have the common material used for fedora (wool, leather). This hat seems to have a nylon material (or whatever material one uses for waterproof) and also has a band on the hat thus giving it a fedora look but not quite. Anyone know this hat?

I tried to post pictures of this hat but it seems as if the site only allows link, i am not sure if they turn up. but if you search 'german alonso sherlock' on google images then you will know the hat i am talking about. just in case anyone thinks i am trying to do something bad, the topic is that german alonso is training a vulture called "sherlock" for the German police so that it can detect dead bodies in woodlands.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...e-sniffer-dogs-VULTURES-hunt-dead-bodies.html

Looks like waxed or oiled canvas type to me. You can't IMG a page link...
Oh yea, welcome to the Lounge....

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I cannot identify the hat with any degree of certainty. But I do want to welcome you the the Lounge.

Thanks too for the Google tip. I'm fond of vultures and find this trainer's work very interesting. We happen to have many of these birds in my area. I enjoy watching them and have even named a couple that used to come around quite often. They are very interesting birds and truly remarkable fliers.

T Rick

Practically Family
Hi People,

German-police-replace-sniffer-dogs-VULTURES-hunt-dead-bodies.html
imgres
Can't tell for certain from those images I found on Google, but have a look at Tilley hats, I'd give even odds it's either one of theirs or very similar. Be sure to look a page or two back into the hat section. And Welcome to the Lounge!

Last edited:

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
Although I can't see the picture (work computer here), I would recommend brushing a hat before cleaning. Felt sucks up dust and fabric from the air like a little sponge (along with moisture, too!). If you already own a hat and you're trying to even out the color, give it a good brushing. There are some FAQs on routine hat care by Mr. Deckard and I believe they're still on the front page stickies.

On the other hand, if it's drastically uneven, you could either be dealing with a "dusting" issue, where the manufacturer used a colored powder to even the color of the finished product (and the powder has since fallen off), or you may need to give it a good naptha bath to remove soiling. In either case, the casual hat wearer may want to consider contacting a local hat dealer for a nice cleaning and reblocking.

Thanks. It looks like it's too much of a gamble buying it sight unseen. I wouldn't even know where to go to get it cleaned and reblocked in Japan.

T Rick

Practically Family
A new member has copied my Avartar as his...what can I do about this, since it is my portrait!!??

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/member.php?18250-NW-Trojan

I'd start with a polite request via PM that he change it. He may not even realize his gaffe. Might have even spotted it with some Google search for Fedora images and not realize it's from here. If he refuses or get's nasty, I'd then send a request to the Mods to see if they would handle it. One way or the other, I'm sure it can be resolved.

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
I'd start with a polite request via PM that he change it. He may not even realize his gaffe. Might have even spotted it with some Google search for Fedora images and not realize it's from here. If he refuses or get's nasty, I'd then send a request to the Mods to see if they would handle it. One way or the other, I'm sure it can be resolved.

Excellent suggestion.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Except for the fact that new members don't have PM abilities until 15 posts. You'll have to contact Nathan Flowers, the Head Bartender, to have him contact the new member, unless he sees your post here.

Brad

T Rick

Practically Family
Except for the fact that new members don't have PM abilities until 15 posts. You'll have to contact Nathan Flowers, the Head Bartender, to have him contact the new member, unless he sees your post here.

Brad
Thanks Brad, I forgot about the 15 post minimum (a good idea, will keep the Spammers from clogging Member's in boxes- no doubt they are long gone before reaching 15 posts!).

That being the case, yes, I'd ask a Mod if they'd mind contacting the Member with your request that he remove it. So much the better, as I seriously doubt any new Member would take issue with a Moderator request.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner