Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
determing age

Hello all,

It has to be here somewhere. But, how do you determing the age of a Stetson/Fedora etc. hat?

Thanks,

Mike

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
If you post a picture, someone will likely be able to identify. Basically it has to do with the liner, the sweatband, and the tags on the hat. I see you're in Oakland, the folks down at The Hat Guys on Broadway may also be able to help you.

I am going to ask a question.......

Clothing/Hat brushes.

I have a black furfelt fedora that's picking up lint/dust. (It's right over there <---- ) Any suggestions for a proper item to fix said issue?

Also, I've been looking around Ebay and Amazon for a brush or one of those lint removers but got frustrated because I don't want to purchase numerous items to take care of a hat, a suit & other clothing when there may be one all purpose item that can take care of all of them.

There are some "vintage" clothing brushes on ebay that are pretty cheap and pretty old. I have no idea whether they are still usable or just something you can stare at and say "Oh isn't that nice!"

There are also numerous $.99 HK items that I believe will just leave a sticky residue on anything I would use them on.

I suppose I could just buy a new kiwi shoe brush and that would handle all of it....or not...I dunno...so I'm asking a question.

TTFN,
Steven

bernai

New in Town
Hi Guys,

Long time lurker - first time poster.

I live in the central valley of California and hat stores are in real short supply unless you want a Cowboy hat..I am too much a city slicker for that. In any event I have a couple of hats on order and got my first real fedora a couple of weeks ago - A Stetson Whippet. I have fallen in love with the hat and really like the brim binding. The problem is I have two other hats on order (a Chatham and a Lodi) and neither have the brim binding. To whom should I go and what might be the process if I want to have the brims bound on the unbound hats?

Thanks in advance,

Bernai

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Spw - buy a hatbrush. They're not that expensive, and you'll need a light one and a dark one if you're going to have a number of hats. While you're at it, pick up one of the orange sponges they sell pretty much everywhere they sell hat brushes. The sponges are great for getting out any spots on vintage hats, they last forever, and they cost next to nothing.

bernai - Optimo is used by many Loungers, but you might also contact Art (I'm not sure how much work he's taking beyond making new hats), or Major Moore. There have been a few other hatters recently being discussed here, but the three I've listed have established a very solid reputation on this site.

Hereward

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the Wind Cord link The Wiser Hatter and to Stoney who created it. First I am replacing the ribbon, then the wind cord work commences.

scooter

Practically Family
hey fellas, can someone tell me the difference between the Stetson Playboy and the Stetson Playboy II? I have been researching this and haven't been able to come up with much concrete. Biggest difference I can assume, is that the former has a wider brim. Any help on production period, dimensions, anything would help. thanks for your time.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The Playboy II is a later hat. I don't believe that the two existed at the same time. The II tends to have those later proportions - narrower brim, shorter and more tapered crown, etc. Having said that, I've seen huge variations in both models, so it's impossible to say that the "standard Playboy" has one look, and the II has another. IMO, most of the IIs I've seen are really, really ugly, but I'm sure that exceptions exist.

Lefty, I shall buy a hat brush, but still would like to know what people use for clothes brushes.

New Question. I haven't looked too hard but is there a thread buried somewhere about restoring old clothes?

I have a couple of sweaters that are pulled out around the neck. Love these not so old items and would like to return them to "weekday" status vs "weekend"

I googled around a bit and found this
How to Fix a Sweater

I shall attempt it. One is wool the other an acrylic blend.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
hypothetically speaking, what would one do to restore a mallory sand colored bowler if one's wife stepped on it and poured ketchup and grease on it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner