Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vesicant

New in Town
Recommendation for anti-sun hats for Florida outdoors

Looks like my company is transferring me to Cape Canaveral, and I'll be out in the sun a lot, both inland and on or near the water. What would be a good, stylish, classic, durable hat, perhaps in straw or cotton? A ball cap won't work since it only has the front bill.

Edward

Bartender
I'm a big fan of the Akubra Capricorn. Great, snap brim fedora style, range of colours, and polystraw can take a bif of rain if you do get caught.

Aerol

A-List Customer
Looks like my company is transferring me to Cape Canaveral, and I'll be out in the sun a lot, both inland and on or near the water. What would be a good, stylish, classic, durable hat, perhaps in straw or cotton? A ball cap won't work since it only has the front bill.

If this is a "walking from the car to the office" hat, then a Montecristi is the way to go, always remembering their dirty little secret: the finer the weave the hotter the hat.

If this is a working hat then a Tilley (www.tilley.com) can't be beat. I've had one for decades (yes, decades) and it just won't quit.

Remember: for sun protection always go with the widest brim possible.

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
Looking to bring my Stetson Open Road in to Worth and Worth here in NYC to get it re-shaped and cleaned a bit. I haven't been here in a while but remember there was a thread with someone displaying their great talent for re-shaping hats, with quite a few different shapes shown with their proper shape names. I can't seem to find it, but I am pressed for time at the moment. Does anyone know what page that thread might be at, or have a suggestion for a thread that possibly shows a few shape examples. I think what I am looking for is a "diamond" shape that I hope to get on my Open Road.

W. Buchanan

New in Town
Shellacking

I am sure this question has been asked already, but I am afraid that twenty minutes' searching has not turned up the thread with the answer.

How does one re-shellac his hat? Is it possible to do that simply with clear spray shellac meant for varnishing wood? Or is there some other means?

In any case, how do I put the 'snap' back into an old fedora?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I am sure this question has been asked already, but I am afraid that twenty minutes' searching has not turned up the thread with the answer.

How does one re-shellac his hat? Is it possible to do that simply with clear spray shellac meant for varnishing wood? Or is there some other means?

In any case, how do I put the 'snap' back into an old fedora?

Try just steaming the hat, this will soften it up at first, but will also reactivate the stiffener in it. If you need something more, run this in google for threads on felt stiffener:

felt stiffener site:thefedoralounge.com

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Looking to bring my Stetson Open Road in to Worth and Worth here in NYC to get it re-shaped and cleaned a bit. I haven't been here in a while but remember there was a thread with someone displaying their great talent for re-shaping hats, with quite a few different shapes shown with their proper shape names. I can't seem to find it, but I am pressed for time at the moment. Does anyone know what page that thread might be at, or have a suggestion for a thread that possibly shows a few shape examples. I think what I am looking for is a "diamond" shape that I hope to get on my Open Road.

the Diamond Authority or JtL's teardrop workshop?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
is the Stetson Chatham Teardrop a 40's style Fedora

To those that aren't too aware of the differences, yes it'll look like a 1940s hat. The brim width is alright for that, but the crowns of the 1940s were generally untapered, or less tapered than the Stetson Chatham and other modern fedoras. The tapered hat really took off some time during the 1950s, through the 1960s, and today's modern hat has retained this same style.

I hope this helps, the Stetson Chatham is a nice looking hat, just not too accurately '40s in style if you're going for more of a vintage, period look.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Sure, go ahead if you'd like. Maybe your son will like it. He may even want another fedora hat as he grows older, and this could be a good way of having him like hats!

On the other hand, I'd personally buy something more conservative (less "loud") looking than plaid. How about this one for your son?

http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon-brown-crushable-diamond-crown-fedora.html

The Jaxon Diamond Crown, for not too much more in cost.

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
Could you please help me with choosing a Panama?

Hello all,

I tried searching the forum but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Perhaps you can help me out here :)

So, I have been wearing an Akubra Capricorn for the last two years now I believe (highly recommended) which is still looking new after all these trips and dives in the oceans :) But, as you may know, it is plastic. Which is fine, but the sweatband is also plastic (pleather) and it gets a little uncomfy when sweating (honestly). Other than that, love the hat!! But would like to add a new one to the vacation collection :)

I'm looking for a 'straw' hat for a change, with a better sweat band. I will still be wearing the Akubra because it is just so perfect in every way, but would just like to add a panama to the 'holiday collection'. I was looking at my usual place where I order (not sure if I can post it here), as they do not charge shipping, and I noticed Akubra also has Panama hats. They range between 70 and 110 Dollars. Which, is perfectly within budget for my new vacation hat! :)

Does anyone have any experience with these ones from Akubra? Funny thing is, I can't seem to find them on the official Akubra website for some reason. Although, I trust the seller as I've had many nice hat purchases from them, so I'm sure they exist, but are perhaps older models..

Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice panama around 100 USD? I'd like to order ASAP before going on vacatio n :)

Last edited:

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
How do I find my posts on here. I've asked questions and I don't know how to find the thread again to look for answers. How do I do this?

Hope I can find this thread again when you answer ;)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Sure, go ahead if you'd like. Maybe your son will like it. He may even want another fedora hat as he grows older, and this could be a good way of having him like hats!

On the other hand, I'd personally buy something more conservative (less "loud") looking than plaid. How about this one for your son?

http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon-brown-crushable-diamond-crown-fedora.html

The Jaxon Diamond Crown, for not too much more in cost.

*Points*

I want that one, daddy!

I think that would look great on a little kid's head. It's nice that little boys and girls want to dress up and look good. Make the little fellah happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran