Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GamaH

A-List Customer
No, I understand what you mean. As I said, I've never known the term to be either/or, it just denotes a different angle than straight forward.

Ohhh. I see. Sorry, misunderstood that.

Why does everyone measure their head from a "neutral" point if you rarely ever wear your fedora straight across though? Wouldn't it be more accurate to measure your head at the angle your hat is going to sit?

scooter

Practically Family
"Cocking" would most generally mean from left to right, whereas "tilting" would mean from front to back, I think those are commonly accepted understandings.

But as Jlee said, wear it as it appeals to you (or more importantly perhaps, your wife/significant other)!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I say "cocked back" sometimes when I wear my hat on the back of the head...although I more often just call it "rude boy style," ala the UK in the 70's.

As far as measurement is concerned, I've never had a hat that suddenly didn't fit if it were cocked.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
"Cocking" would most generally mean from left to right, whereas "tilting" would mean from front to back, I think those are commonly accepted understandings.

It seems to me that one could just as easily say cocked back or tilted to the side.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
2 Questions about wearing a hat slightly tilted forward:
Also, what does it mean to have a hat "cocked"? I know what cocked means in this case, like when a dog cocks its ears. But in the context of a fedora, I'm not sure how that's supposed to apply.

Here's the definition from Websters Dictionary :
"to wear or move your hat so that one side of it slopes downwards"

Do not confuse this with a "Cocked Hat" :)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Like this?
Hugh-Jackman-Fedora.jpg

Actually, I wouldn't call that a cocked hat, just a Hollywood brim, which looks pretty good there by the way. Cocked is tilted in some way, showing attitude of the moment.

Omne

Familiar Face
Question about stretching. According to the measurements that Mike made I am a 7 1/4 long oval even though I have been buying 7 3/8. It's worked so far but with a stiff Bailey it's hitting front and back. Anyway, if I purchased a 7 1/4 hat online, such as ebay, would it be routine to be able to stretch (reform) it to a long oval?

Edw8ri

Familiar Face
Got a picture of the hat? That would help me see what could be done.
Also depends on whether there's a wire in the brim or not.

Brandon

This is not a great picture, but it does show the problem. The view is from the side of the hat. The brim generally slopes down, but there is a bump in it that is unattractive. I would like to get it out. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

milan.jpg

GamaH

A-List Customer
Is it normal for the snap brim to not snap directly in front? Like V shape bend in the snap (imagine you're facing me, snap brims have an UPWARD curve in front and hence have a V bent) isn't centered. It's looks more like a Nike 'tick' rather than a boomerang.

Edit: Upon second look, it seems to be the way I'm snapping it. Is there a "right/wrong" way of doing it, that someone who knows anything about hats would go "Oh god why is his brim snapped like that" in his head, or can I pretty much snap it at any direction I want?

Seems like it can't be snapped any other way either.

Last edited:
This is not a great picture, but it does show the problem. The view is from the side of the hat. The brim generally slopes down, but there is a bump in it that is unattractive. I would like to get it out. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks for the pic. Did the hat come that way? And is there a wire in the brim?

Also, are you are a "long oval" head type?

Brandon

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face

I am no expert, but I think that bump is quite standard in that position. I have several hats that are stamped in the above shape and they show this as well. Perhaps some strange steaming techniques could solve this if it bothers you indeed. I always assumed it was natural to be that way

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I am no expert, but I think that bump is quite standard in that position. I have several hats that are stamped in the above shape and they show this as well. Perhaps some strange steaming techniques could solve this if it bothers you indeed. I always assumed it was natural to be that way

That is my assumption as well. It's an artifact of the brim being flanged.

T Rick

Practically Family
Color match, or "what goes with" question. A lot of my shirts I like to wear out to clubs are silk Nat Nast shirts, and quite a few are black with "hemp" (tan/beige) accents or trim. doesn't seem that a grey Fedora is fitting with the tan, and brown certainly doesn't feel right with the black.

I've got an unbleached Panama with a black band for warmer climes, but what if I feel like (or the weather calls for) felt? Trying to find one in my collection that fits, and I'm at a loss (Actually I've got a lovely near mint Trimble in tan, but it has never fit, and my efforts to stretch it from it's stated 7 to a 7 1/8 have been largely unsuccessful).

Maybe when the Heritage Camp Draft in Silver Belly gets here, that may do the trick, but I'd prefer something with around a 2.5 inch brim and a wider ribbon in this case (the Nostalgia in Caribou is perfect with all black, maybe I should buy the black version too!).

But I'm wondering if one comes to mind in a tan color, wide black ribbon (don't see many like that on the 'Bay from what I've noticed, lots of brown and gray though).

Any thoughts?

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If the majority of the shirts are black with earth tone accents, you'd be completely fine wearing an earth tone hat. It will even out the color ratio somewhat. That, or a really warm grey, like granite...

T Rick

Practically Family
If the majority of the shirts are black with earth tone accents, you'd be completely fine wearing an earth tone hat. It will even out the color ratio somewhat. That, or a really warm grey, like granite...
Thanks, but so far that just doesn't seem to do it for me. Again, the shirts I'm speaking of are predominantly black, but a gray hat just seems to clash with the tan. Brown isn't much better, though I may try my lightest brown which is a new (vintage) Dobbs just to see.

Still, I think I'm really looking to keep it a "black and tan" sort of thing, and am really sort of looking for recommendations for a tan hat. A Tawny Fawn Fed IV would probably be perfect if it had a black ribbon (suppose I could change it). But I'm really looking for suggestions of a ready made hat in tan with a black ribbon (guess I could have gotten straight to that, not sure I even had the thought distilled to that point until now :D).

T Rick,

I agree with the "Black and Tan" scenario. You may have trouble finding a tan hat with a black ribbon, however.
So you may have to change out ribbons to make it work. I think the tawny fawn Fed could do the trick.

T Rick

Practically Family
I thought tan was an earth tone. Sorry. Any kind of Fawn should be alright.
Well, it is! But not really in my collection yet (aside from the Trimble which is too small, and my Silver Belly Open Road, which is decidedly tan, but being the stiff newer style in a nice Cattleman's crease, a bit more "Western" than what I'm going for).

But when I was thinking "earth tones", I thought you meant any earth tones, and mentally went through my existing collection- brown, no... green, no... grey, no.... Yep. I need a tan hat!

T Rick how about the Fed IV in charcoal gray
FedIVmarch3.jpg

I really like mine and it goes well with black

Jeff
Love the hat, love the look. Black is easy to match for me, I get stumped with the tan accent/trim on a few of these shirts. That plus some new tan shoes, I keep coming back to two colors for the hat. Black, and tan. Maybe the Silver Belly Camp Draft will do the trick (let's hope those ship soon!), but I think the ribbon will be too narrow (getting pickier it seems...). No, I think a Fed IV in Fawn with a changed (to black) ribbon may just be it. Or, I could (still should) order a black Nostalgia before they disappear...

ETA, that is a great looking hat, and a cool bash. Suits you well.

T Rick,

I agree with the "Black and Tan" scenario. You may have trouble finding a tan hat with a black ribbon, however.
So you may have to change out ribbons to make it work. I think the tawny fawn Fed could do the trick.

Think so too. And a good excuse to order a Fed IV, which I've wanted to do for awhile! Will ponder for one more day, and maybe take a trip down to Henry The Hatter's to see what they have in stock...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot