Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Is there a guide somewhere on how to do a Gus crease on a western hat? I googled, used the site search, everything.

Or for that matter, a guide for western creases. I wanna change the Cattleman crease on mine.

Something really step by step informative like Teardrop Workshop.

A Gus or Montana crease is just a center dent that does not go all the way back on the crown.
It is a western hat style crease & won't get much attention on a "fedora" focused place like this.
I have posted some threads of taking out a factory Cattleman or Alpine crease, going back to open crown.
From there you can get to a Gus/Montana fairly easy. Do a center dent going only 2/3 or 3/4 of the way back in the crown, then do the front pinch.

Looking for information about a stetson cabela's three forks hat that I found at an estate sale this weekend. Does anyone know the approximate year it was made and its approximate sale value? Anything else....

Welcome to the Lounge. The 3Forks is a fairly modern hat offered by Cabela's. I had one like this, bought in early 1990's.
It is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, certainly less than what Cabela's charged in the catalog.
It is a Royal Stetson grade felt. I think I sold my well experienced model for about $35 but it was a much larger size than this one.
LL Bean used to offer a similar hat called the Moose River. HTH

GamaH

A-List Customer
A Gus or Montana crease is just a center dent that does not go all the way back on the crown.
It is a western hat style crease & won't get much attention on a "fedora" focused place like this.
I have posted some threads of taking out a factory Cattleman or Alpine crease, going back to open crown.
From there you can get to a Gus/Montana fairly easy. Do a center dent going only 2/3 or 3/4 of the way back in the crown, then do the front pinch.

Alrighty, thanks. :)

On another note, I'm trying to get the females in my family to start wearing hats. Are there specifically fedoras for females, or do I just get them a "man's" fedora in whatever their sizes are?

Calliope84

New in Town
Welcome to the Lounge. The 3Forks is a fairly modern hat offered by Cabela's. I had one like this, bought in early 1990's.
It is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, certainly less than what Cabela's charged in the catalog.
It is a Royal Stetson grade felt. I think I sold my well experienced model for about $35 but it was a much larger size than this one.
LL Bean used to offer a similar hat called the Moose River. HTH

Thanks!

insomniac

New in Town
Where can I get a light-colored fedora?

Like khaki colored. I have one in earth tone already - brown - but I was thinking that I'd like a hat that matches the pants I almost always wear.

I don't see Akubra carrying anything like this, except the Traveler. There are straw hats of course, but they aren't year round hats.

Thanks in advance.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
The Campdraft Silverbelly would do the trick. Look at the new deluxe Campdrafts members here start posting the new Akubra Campdraft they have in the mail.
Should see them the end of this week or early next week.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are two stickies at the top of the Hat page, "Ask a Question" and "Hat Vendors." You probably should check those out before creating a new thread for a simple question.

As for the answer, most modern hat manufacturers, as well as custom hatters, offer a wide range of light color felt options.

As for Akubra, the Campdraft, Federation IV, and Stylemaster are all offered in some variety of Fawn color. They will likely suit your needs just fone.

Last edited:
Look at Art Fawcett Hall of Fame thread. It was posted = "I only have a few colors left in featherweight. They are Silvermist, Silverbelly, Powder blue, Mojave, sahara, black, dark moss, navy ( 1 only) and chocolate ( 1 only)."
The Mojave & Sahara as well as the Silverbelly would be your best bets in this EXCELLENT year-round felt.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Like khaki colored. I have one in earth tone already - brown - but I was thinking that I'd like a hat that matches the pants I almost always wear.

I don't see Akubra carrying anything like this, except the Traveler. There are straw hats of course, but they aren't year round hats.

Thanks in advance.

Take a look at the US importer of Akubra's and you will find the Stylemaster is offered in Acorn Fawn which is in the kahki tone and I wear mine with my Kakhi's ALL the time. Here's a link to David Morgan's site :

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1382

here's a pic of mine

96300025.jpg

Last edited:

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Heritage fawn isn't too far off, I think. I'm also an earth colour man, and like wearing khaki pants etc. and my heritage fawn Fed IV is quite nice with them.

insomniac

New in Town
Take a look at the US importer of Akubra's and you will find the Stylemaster is offered in Acorn Fawn which is in the kahki tone and I wear mine with my Kakhi's ALL the time. Here's a link to David Morgan's site :

Hmmm, I went to David Morgan's storefront last week and they had the Stylemaster in a brown shade, darker than yours. It does go well with khakis as it's earth tone, I'll admit.

(By the way if you are ever in Seattle, dropping by their store is a treat. Lots of hats and other accessories and very helpful people.)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hmmm, I went to David Morgan's storefront last week and they had the Stylemaster in a brown shade, darker than yours. It does go well with khakis as it's earth tone, I'll admit.

(By the way if you are ever in Seattle, dropping by their store is a treat. Lots of hats and other accessories and very helpful people.)

They list the Acorn Fawn in the catalog, funny they did not have one in the store. I bought my first Akubra IN their store 32 years ago. Neat place :) ( In fact, STILL have the Bushman I bought then as well as a new one I got last year.) Was this the color of Brown they had in the store?

Squatter1022.jpg

It's called Mid-Brown and DM imports it but does not sell it through the catalog. I got mine from John Helmer in Portland, OR.

insomniac

New in Town
They list the Acorn Fawn in the catalog, funny they did not have one in the store. I bought my first Akubra IN their store 32 years ago. Neat place :) ( In fact, STILL have the Bushman I bought then as well as a new one I got last year.) Was this the color of Brown they had in the store?

<snip>

It's called Mid-Brown and DM imports it but does not sell it through the catalog. I got mine from John Helmer in Portland, OR.

That looks like it. I think DM has some hats that they just distribute but don't sell in the store. A trip to Portland may be in order! Now I just have to create a plausible reason for the SO and I to go to that part of Portland ("Oh look honey, a hat store!")

The Mid-Brown is very nice. I have a suede sportcoat that it goes perfectly with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot