Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I think this calls for one of alanfgag's special hand made creations.

In this instance, a triple breasted hyper modern design would be ideal.

No, I think something very spare in double breasted is the ticket...

naked-guitar.jpg

Master_Photog

New in Town
Well, I can't think of a better place to post a question than with a thread titled "ask a question, get an answer".

Newb here <

Hello, just joined here from Indy and am looking into upgrading my hat selection. I've just begun my search and I'm wanting an opinion on the type/style of hat that would accomodate my look and/or stature. I know personality and character is tough to convey with a portrait, but I'm not sure on how to select my head gear. Do I base it on personality or a physical presence? Or is the hat chosen for the environment/scene that the person will be wearing it in? I don't want multiple hats for different situations, but I'd like one 'unsung hero' that I'd like to be my go-to hat that would work werever I am or whatever I'm doing.

So, as a photographer, and I'm off to a photo shoot or going to dinner or spending time with friends/family on the weekend - what could/would you grab for a hat?

Obviously working on a car, hunting, exercising, etc. are exceptions.

Here are a few self portraits of me, if this will help. While browsing this forum for the last couple of days, I've noticed a vast amount of expertise in this area. If I could get some suggestions or recommendations on a few different looks or varieties of hats, that would be much appreciated!!

I really like the Borsalino leather ivy, but the more I look at it, the more I think I should own a Harley Davidson.

I'm not sold on the Fedora yet, don't know why. But I really like the ivy and rider style hats.

Thanks for any help!

Chuck
Indianapolis
www.cs2photography.com/cscott.jpg

www.cs2photography.com/cs1fb.jpg

www.cs2photography.com/chuck_ronda.jpg

www.cs2photography.com/pvwfifteen.jpg

www.cs2photography.com/whiskey_greatness.jpg

Last edited:

scooter

Practically Family
My first thought for you in terms of both utility and economy, would probably be an Akubra Campdraft or a Cattleman. They are reasonably priced and while you say you are not sold on the fedora look, these hats are versatile enough to complement a wide range of clothing styles. They can be creased in a number of way and are extremely durable. That might be a good place to start, IMHO. Hope this helps and good luck finding the hat that suits you. I'll add this, I'm not sure a stingy brim would be a good choice for you, but others may have a different opinion.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Master_Photog, welcome! I must say, that whiskey shot would be better with a prohibition-era fedora. Find out your true hat size, then start browsing stores (to determine what look suits you best), then ebay (for some exciting bargains on vintage lids). Best of luck, and post your findings!

insomniac

New in Town
The Campdraft Silverbelly would do the trick. Look at the new deluxe Campdrafts members here start posting the new Akubra Campdraft they have in the mail.
Should see them the end of this week or early next week.

The Heritage?

I saw it, it seems like the Heritage grade has been used for other hats. What do people think of the difference vs. the normal felt?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The Heritage?

I saw it, it seems like the Heritage grade has been used for other hats. What do people think of the difference vs. the normal felt?

It has a finer finish or "hand" to it and is a very nice felt. Equal to the Imperial grade as far as wear and tear aspects. ( it is an Akubra :) ) But it is only available in about 5 stock styles( the special order Camdrafts being promoted here are not available as a "standard" hat.) they are predominately Aussie style with one Western. None of the Fedora styles are available currently from Akubra in this grade of felt.

insomniac

New in Town
It has a finer finish or "hand" to it and is a very nice felt. Equal to the Imperial grade as far as wear and tear aspects. ( it is an Akubra :) ) But it is only available in about 5 stock styles( the special order Camdrafts being promoted here are not available as a "standard" hat.) they are predominately Aussie style with one Western. None of the Fedora styles are available currently from Akubra in this grade of felt.

Have they been in the past? What kind of "style" would you describe the Campdraft as?

Master_Photog

New in Town
sounds good so far, thanks for the tip.

Well, I can't think of a better place to post a question than with a thread titled "ask a question, get an answer".

Newb here <

Hello, just joined here from Indy and am looking into upgrading my hat selection. I've just begun my search and I'm wanting an opinion on the type/style of hat that would accomodate my look and/or stature. I know personality and character is tough to convey with a portrait, but I'm not sure on how to select my head gear. Do I base it on personality or a physical presence? Or is the hat chosen for the environment/scene that the person will be wearing it in? I don't want multiple hats for different situations, but I'd like one 'unsung hero' that I'd like to be my go-to hat that would work werever I am or whatever I'm doing.

So, as a photographer, and I'm off to a photo shoot or going to dinner or spending time with friends/family on the weekend - what could/would you grab for a hat?

Obviously working on a car, hunting, exercising, etc. are exceptions.

Here are a few self portraits of me, if this will help. While browsing this forum for the last couple of days, I've noticed a vast amount of expertise in this area. If I could get some suggestions or recommendations on a few different looks or varieties of hats, that would be much appreciated!!

I really like the Borsalino leather ivy, but the more I look at it, the more I think I should own a Harley Davidson.

I'm not sold on the Fedora yet, don't know why. But I really like the ivy and rider style hats.

Thanks for any help!

Chuck
Indianapolis
www.cs2photography.com/cscott.jpg

www.cs2photography.com/cs1fb.jpg

www.cs2photography.com/chuck_ronda.jpg

www.cs2photography.com/pvwfifteen.jpg

www.cs2photography.com/whiskey_greatness.jpg

mattface

Practically Family
OK, I'm in search of the "perfect hat" which is basically a reincarnation of an old brown fedora my grandfather gave me when I was a kid. It was his old hat, but he preferred caps. I wore it to play "detective" in and wore a big hole in the front, and kept wearing it as my camping hat into my teen years until it was beyond shot, but now looking back I really pine for a hat that looks just like that.

It was a bit unusual by modern standards, it was a low C-Crown not unlike a porkpie, but with a wider brim, probably in the range of 2 1/4"-2 3/8". The band was a brown woven cotton affair if memory serves, but that's the one thing I'm NOT looking for, I think I'd rather go with a brown or black grossgrain. anyway the closest thing I've ever seen to it was a Stetson Bangor, but that's been discontinued, and I can't find a current picture of it anymore.

So can anyone help me here both with better articulating the style I'm looking for, maybe there is a better name for the bash, and maybe even finding a model, vintage or current, that's close? THanks.

Last edited:

GamaH

A-List Customer
Go Custom. I think that's the only way you can specify the brim, crown shape and crown height, in the color you want.

InsolentPuppy

A-List Customer
Hello all. What's a decent lightweight felt hat for the late summer/early autumn? I want to stick with a fedora with a wide-ish brim (~2.5") or possibly a western-style hat.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Go Custom. I think that's the only way you can specify the brim, crown shape and crown height, in the color you want.

You can also buy one of the dozens of vintage hats on ebay that is your size and desired brim width, and recrease the crown to your liking. I recreased one of those plentiful 1950s/60s-style, 2" brimmed Dobbs from its standard fedora-pinch crown to a porkpie, and it came out rather nice. Less expensive that way.

mattface

Practically Family
You can also buy one of the dozens of vintage hats on ebay that is your size and desired brim width, and recrease the crown to your liking. I recreased one of those plentiful 1950s/60s-style, 2" brimmed Dobbs from its standard fedora-pinch crown to a porkpie, and it came out rather nice. Less expensive that way.

I'm definitely considering that. I'm thinking one needs a rather tall crown in order to get the porkpie crease. Also I'm not certain if porkpie is really what I'm looking for. It's a definite teardrop shape, but with the bulge in the center coming about as high, and very close ~1" of the outer ridge. I'm not fully up on the bash terminology, so I'm hoping that makes sense.

Hello all. What's a decent lightweight felt hat for the late summer/early autumn? I want to stick with a fedora with a wide-ish brim (~2.5") or possibly a western-style hat.

You'd probably like an Open Road style hat, or perhaps a silverbelly Akubra Campdraft. These are more western-style, but don't scream Cowboy (unless you prefer an actual cowboy hat). They can be modified with a fedora type crease to look less "western" also.

InsolentPuppy

A-List Customer
I hadn't considered price. I want a higher quality hat but priced lower than an Optimo Hat. As for color, something light. I associate the darker colors with cold weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot