Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
http://www.thefedorastore.com/Stacy-Adams-Center-Dent-M-p/saw536.htm

I plan to get this hat in black whenever I'm able to get the sufficient funds. But can someone tell me what era it is? It appears like a 20's or 30's to me, but I'm not too sure.

I also plan on removing the feather.

As far as "... what era it is? " it looks to be a current, contemporarilly syled Fedora. Not from a particular "era". Since you are saving funds currently can I suggest you save a bit more and go for an all fur felt instead of a wool felt? The quality and all will be worth the extra funds and you will be far happier with a fur felt in the long run :)

djd

Practically Family
If you were in Europe I'd recommend something from Chrities hats in the uk - which are pretty good value despite their poor rep in certain quarters

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Sounds like a good idea. But do you know any online shops that sell any 20's-30's style fedoras? Want to get one or two in black once I'm able to. :)

Something as specific as a style from that era would have to be a custom proposition. I can not think of ANY current hat firms that make a production model of Fedora made in a style you could asign to that era. Save your pennies and go custom if you have to have one from that era or start looking for vintage :)

James71

A-List Customer
Have a look at this mate. Get yourself a good Akubra. I dont know what your dimensions are, but if you are looking for a pre WWII style fedora check out the Federation IV.

If you are looking for a black hat with a smaller brim, (like in my avatar) have a gander at the Bogart.

Akubra make very good quality fur felt hats. Stick to the fur if you want it to last and look the business.

http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?group=Fedora+Hats

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Second the Fed IV if one is looking for a good "Classic" Fedora style. The Fur hats are easy to adjust the brim with steam and to clean with brushes.
There is a great deal of difference between the fedora you linked to and an actual 20's and 30's fedora but as a newbie to Fedora's that is understandable.
Most people just see a wide brim hat with ribbon and think it's a 30's gangster's hat. As you read the forum you will learn how the taper on the hats is not straight as a 30's fedora and the width of the brim is not as wide and so on. Read the forum threads for a while and you will learn a lot about hats.

T Rick

Practically Family

I plan to get this hat in black whenever I'm able to get the sufficient funds. But can someone tell me what era it is? It appears like a 20's or 30's to me, but I'm not too sure.

As far as "... what era it is? " it looks to be a current, contemporarilly syled Fedora. Not from a particular "era". Since you are saving funds currently can I suggest you save a bit more and go for an all fur felt instead of a wool felt? The quality and all will be worth the extra funds and you will be far happier with a fur felt in the long run :)

Agree with the logic of saving further and buying fur felt. While you're saving, that's a great time to learn more, to make a more informed purchase. Read a bunch more here. Try to visit a good hat store if possible, and try on several hats to get an idea of what size fits, and what style gives the look you want on you (as opposed to what you like the looks of online- they may be the same, but you won't know that for sure until you've tried them). It would be a pity to save for a hat and order it, only to be disappointed in the way it looked on you when it arrived.

If the hat you show turns out to be the style you like, you're in luck, as it looks very similar to several modern Stetsons (the models that come with a center dent). Have a look online at the Stetson fur felts (same place you found that one has a great online list to compare). Once you've chosen a style (if it's a Stetson), check the Hatco outlet in Garland Tx. and see if they have the model you want in your size. That is the factory outlet for both Stetson and Resistol, and they have great prices on over runs, over stocks etc. Typically between half and 2/3 the cost el;elsewhere.

ETA, missed the two posts above mine when I wrote this. Akubra is a great suggestion (I own 2 and plan to get more), and The Wise Hatter is living up to his name wtith his advice also.

Last edited:

garenb

New in Town
I'm looking for a semi-casual summer straw hat that can withstand a rain shower. I've narrowed it down to either a Sunbody or an Akubra Capricorn. I know the Capricorn isn't real straw. I live in FL, so I'm wondering if the Capricorn will be too hot with the humid air, but I also don't know how well a Sunbody will fair in rain. Any pro's/cons for either?

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family

I agree with these guys and will say that I would avoid the wool felt. If you like that particular style just go to DelMonico's Hatters and look at the Stetsons. There is one there (fur felt) that is almost the exact same hat but much better quality. Like mentioned above, if you are open minded about your fedora then the Akubra is a great hat. I bought a beautiful Camp Draft from a member here and love it. The Stetson you might want to look at is the Chatham Stetson Chatham: DelMonico Hatter: Kangol - Stetson Hats - Fedora Hats - U.S. Hat Retailer of the Year

T Rick

Practically Family
I agree with these guys and will say that I would avoid the wool felt. If you like that particular style just go to DelMonico's Hatters and look at the Stetsons. There is one there (fur felt) that is almost the exact same hat but much better quality. Like mentioned above, if you are open minded about your fedora then the Akubra is a great hat. I bought a beautiful Camp Draft from a member here and love it. The Stetson you might want to look at is the Chatham Stetson Chatham: DelMonico Hatter: Kangol - Stetson Hats - Fedora Hats - U.S. Hat Retailer of the Year

For the look he showed with the Stacy Adams, I was thinking of a Stetson in a very similar profile (center dent, 2 1/2 inch brim) like this Desoto. VERY similar look. But again, this may not be what he's after at all, he may find he prefers a less tapered crown (he did mention 20's/30's).

He's got a bit of "browsing" to do yet. All suggestions are worth looking into (and that Chatham is a great looking hat with Stetson's teardrop, if looking at that style, he may also want to look at the modern Whippet-essentially a Chatham with a bound edge).

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

To echo what others have said, if you're looking for a 20's-30's styled hat, I would go for the Fed IV from hatsdirect.com. It's open crown, like the hats of that day, and has a straight sided block with basically no taper. That's what 30's hats looked like. All modern hats which are blocked into form like the one you linked are shorter and more tapered than 20's and 30's style hats, which is not the case with the Fed IV. Plus, it's an Akubra, so it will last you. The only thing that would make it look more 20's or 30's would be a wider ribbon.

ﮎ¡D

New in Town
Hi I d like to know what kind of hat is this one, brand, shape... everything and where can I find and buy it ? On the internet or whatever...

5311221168_29e577d259.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'm guessing it's a Beaver Brand hat. They're fond of underwelts. It's looks like a standard modern snap-brim hat with a center crease.

Brad

mullet

New in Town
Hello to all the historians, the analysts and other assorted and considered contributors. I have been using your site for reference for some time acquiring the usual entry level fedoras. I have the opportunity to acquire a fedora style hat in poor condition except for the felt. It is made by Eduard Freundlich of Paderborn (this is the only information that is available from my searches on the web. Does anyone, by any chance, have any further information on this German maker, particularly the quality of the fur that he was likely to use? I have not negotiated photo rights yet and will post when at hand. Regards

TCS

New in Town
Help with a grosgrain ribbon for the Akubra Aussie slouch hat.

Hello everyone,
I am new here, and must say that this is a great site! I want to thank everyone for all the great information found here.
I need your help. I am going to purchase a Akubra Aussie slouch hat, and I think that I would like to replace the puggaree with a 1 1/4"- 1 1/2" grosgrain robbon band that matches the color of the binding on the brim. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know where I can send my hat to have this done? Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm looking for a semi-casual summer straw hat that can withstand a rain shower. I've narrowed it down to either a Sunbody or an Akubra Capricorn. I know the Capricorn isn't real straw. I live in FL, so I'm wondering if the Capricorn will be too hot with the humid air, but I also don't know how well a Sunbody will fair in rain. Any pro's/cons for either?

Both of those hats sound like they would stand up to rain, though I don't own one and can't really say. As to the hotness quotient--only way to tell is to compare the relative ventilation on each. Hats are hot, no getting around it. The only thing I might add is that Akubra does or used to carry some kind of a hemp hat in its collection which is a tropical type hat that is supposed to be durable. You might check that one out before buying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy