Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I'm looking for a semi-casual summer straw hat that can withstand a rain shower. I've narrowed it down to either a Sunbody or an Akubra Capricorn. I know the Capricorn isn't real straw. I live in FL, so I'm wondering if the Capricorn will be too hot with the humid air, but I also don't know how well a Sunbody will fair in rain. Any pro's/cons for either?

The Sunbody hats are especially notable because they do great in the rain and are easy to reshape by dousing with water. That said, they are a bit heavy and I think a bit inelegant.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Hello to all the historians, the analysts and other assorted and considered contributors. I have been using your site for reference for some time acquiring the usual entry level fedoras. I have the opportunity to acquire a fedora style hat in poor condition except for the felt. It is made by Eduard Freundlich of Paderborn (this is the only information that is available from my searches on the web. Does anyone, by any chance, have any further information on this German maker, particularly the quality of the fur that he was likely to use? I have not negotiated photo rights yet and will post when at hand. Regards

From my limited understanding, most of the european hatmakers favored rabbit fur, and the old ones were remarkable in their quality. Other than that, I have no idea.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello everyone,
I am new here, and must say that this is a great site! I want to thank everyone for all the great information found here.
I need your help. I am going to purchase a Akubra Aussie slouch hat, and I think that I would like to replace the puggaree with a 1 1/4"- 1 1/2" grosgrain ribbon band that matches the color of the binding on the brim. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know where I can send my hat to have this done? Thank you for your help.

Hi

I suggest that you go by http://www.buckaroohatters.com/ before you order anything. Mike can fix you up, probably ROUGHLY as inexpensively as ordering the Akubra and then getting the ribbon re-done. If memory serves, a new Aussie Slouch hat is $135, plus shipping and handling (more than $15 from Australia), plus $20 or so for the new ribbon an putting it on. Mike Moore's current prices start at $205, and since you're within driving distance, no shipping. He's just North of Memphis.

My second suggestion is to look at other Akubra hats that have a decent ribbon. The slouch hat isn't what you seem to want in the end, so you shouldn't buy it. The slouch hat isn't a fedora. It also has a press stub (snap) or a hook to hold the side up. Akubra's version also comes with an Australian Army pin and a chin strap, which you probably don't want, and therefore don't want to pay for. The Squatter and Adventurer by David Morgan (Akubra dealer) are probably easier choices.

I used to live in Decatur AL, from 1990 to 1994, and in Huntsville AL in 1985. Great place, but HUMID...

Later

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Sunbody hats are especially notable because they do great in the rain and are easy to reshape by dousing with water. That said, they are a bit heavy and I think a bit inelegant.

Hi Yeps

I would suggest that this guy buy the Sunbody (maybe two) AND a hat stretcher. He lives in Florida, where it rains almost daily. The Sunbody's will soak up rain for a while, then the rest will bead off. This is how you shape them. The bad part is that in Florida, his hat might be constantly wet. He will probably want to own more than 1 so that he can let them dry out on the stretcher so that they don't shrink. From the looks of the Capricorn, it's ventilated too much to repel water.

The Sunbody's are heavy and will need to have grommets in the sides to let in the air. I'll try and post a picture in the Sunbody area, I just bought a second one.

later

GamaH

A-List Customer
I have a question. If hats should be placed brim up to avoid them flattening out, why are the hats here all placed on their brim?

oh-004.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
That is generally more of a concern with the stiff western hats, as their crowns can easily take being set on, but the brims are far from flat and can be messed up. With soft hats like fedoras, it is not that big of a deal, although flipping the brim up, or hanging it over the edge of something is a good idea.

GamaH

A-List Customer
What about straw hats? Bad idea to put it the way it is, in the picture?

Also, is there anyway to give a straw hat brim more snap? I noticed that all my straw hats don't have as much of a snap as the felt hats do.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The hats at Optimo are on a pair of either thin rods or wires so have a very limited contact area--and are also not intended as permanent storage.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Put the hat on, wet your fingertips a little (NOT soaking), and gently rub the front part of the brim giving it the snap you want.

Once I'm done with the hat for the day, should I unsnap the brim? I'm worried that snapping/unsnapping it too much is what caused this.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Optimo? Chicago.
link

Good luck with finding a vintage Borso, especially in that size. It can be done, but you'll probably end up paying quite a bit. Also, don't discount later Borsos - up through the 70s. Borso kept a lot of the old proportions around long after American companies had mostly abandoned them, and the quality is still there in the later hats.

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Once I'm done with the hat for the day, should I unsnap the brim? I'm worried that snapping/unsnapping it too much is what caused this.
With straw and milan, in my experience, once you snap it and the material "settles" It'll stay snapped. Not a thing to worry about. When you're done for the day you can return it to its box, un-snap or not. Or you can place it on a hat stand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24