Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

garryowen

New in Town
Here they are:

488913479o.jpg

488913482o.jpg

488913498o.jpg

488913485o.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Here they are:

You got those up without a hitch. Well done! This is what we call a #1 Quality Stetson. They have been around for 100 years or more, but yours isn't that old. I think yours probably dates to the 70s, maybe even the 80s. I really don't know. Someone with more experience with these "newer" hats should be able to be more specific (and accurate) than that.

T Rick

Practically Family
Garryowen, is there a size tag in the hat? If so, a pic of it would be very helpful. Also, if it is a square/rectangular tag, is there a union label printed on the reverse? If so, try to read which union, that may also help in dating it closer.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Does this work, or do I just look nerdy? I have to wear glasses now, but I don't want it to really discourage me from wearing a hat with it. This hat, a vintage Stetson, is my favorite one, so I'm trying this on for the photo:

Photoon2011-07-16at2314.jpg

I wouldn't generally be wearing a polo shirt with it either, this is just a demonstration.

The glasses are relatively thin and half-frameless with clear silver coloring on the front, and burgundy/brown coloring on the two back "handles." I'm not too familiar with glasses anatomy. On the plus side, they at least make my sideburns more noticeable, and in the outdoors, turn into sunglasses because the lenses get darker. Maybe it's not so bad after all...

You look sharp kid! Don't make excuses AND don't sell yourself short!
Instead you need to look in the mirror and tell yourself, "I know I look good!" The question is how good do I want to look today!

Confidence little brother! Confidence!!

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
I have one of the new Akubra Campdraft Deluxes and to my eye, the felt looks much rougher (fussy) then most of my other hats, but since this is a new and sorta expensive hat for me anyway, I don't want to mess it up. However, I am thinking about sanding it down to make it smoother, and I could use a little direction.

What Grit should I use? Sand paper or emery cloth? Should I sand it with the felt dry or should I wet the hat down first? What are resonable expectations, for my efforts? I would love to get it down to the smoothness of my Stetson 25 or at least anyway, closer to the average $100.00 Resistol or Stetson cowboy Hat.

garryowen

New in Town
mid 60's or later

I think yours probably dates to the 70s, maybe even the 80s. I really don't know.

Garryowen, is there a size tag in the hat? If so, a pic of it would be very helpful.

Nice hat, garryown, you could make that into a radical cavalry style hat. Even though it's not that old, it has a vintage look to it.

I am confused by your posts.
What period is this hat from?

I provided a photograph of the size tag.
There is a price of 16.95 stated on the paper piece that came with the hat as well.

garryowen,
The folks in the know believe it is from 60's or later, which is born out by the black sweatband. I would vote for at least early 60's based on the price. The No. 1 Quality was the lower end of fur felt for Stetson. To me the style looks like it could easily appear as older, thus my comment about being a good "Cavalry" hat.

T Rick

Practically Family
I also think 60's or perhaps even later (the shape of the size tag). The black sweatband may be the telling factor at this point. Is there a union label printed on the opposite side of the size tag? If so, tell us what it says, as there were some union changes at various times, that may give us a boundary year.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
garryowen,I would vote for at least early 60's based on the price. The No. 1
Quality was the lower end of fur felt for Stetson.

I have a 1961 catalog in hand as I type. It has at least a dozen #1 quality Stetsons, their prices range from $14.95-18.00. Royal Stetsons for $11.95, Royal Deluxe for $13.95 and 3X open roads for $15.95 and up. Size and style help determine price. TLH

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
There you have it. Without more data, I would have thought the 70s more likely. But now that we have the price tag (along with everything else) the 60s certainly look like your best bet.

garryowen

New in Town
Thank you all for the posts.

garryowen,
The folks in the know believe it is from 60's or later, which is born out by the black sweatband. I would vote for at least early 60's based on the price. The No. 1 Quality was the lower end of fur felt for Stetson. To me the style looks like it could easily appear as older, thus my comment about being a good "Cavalry" hat.

I also think 60's or perhaps even later (the shape of the size tag). The black sweatband may be the telling factor at this point. Is there a union label printed on the opposite side of the size tag? If so, tell us what it says, as there were some union changes at various times, that may give us a boundary year.

I have a 1961 catalog in hand as I type. It has at least a dozen #1 quality Stetsons, their prices range from $14.95-18.00. Royal Stetsons for $11.95, Royal Deluxe for $13.95 and 3X open roads for $15.95 and up. Size and style help determine price. TLH

There you have it. Without more data, I would have thought the 70s more likely. But now that we have the price tag (along with everything else) the 60s certainly look like your best bet.

Did anyone besides Civil War reenactors use this kind of hat at that time?

What style do you think this is?
The paper tag gives the code of 370 (could be 870 or even 970 as it is a bit unclear).

The print on the paper piece looks fairly modern to me, although I am most likely wrong.
What do you think of it?

I will check the back of the size tag as soon as possible.

Wojo

Familiar Face
HELP A NEWBIE Dark Moss or Pecan!

Hello gentlemen,

I am relatively new to hats. I'm just starting to feel comfortable with them on my noggin. I have one of Art's works in Milan and thinking about another in felt. I was going to go with pecan until I saw a posting of a VS in dark moss. That color looks very nice to me, on a computer screen that is. This hat would be a everyday type of hat. Something I will wear casually. Please, some input about this color as opposed to pecan.

Thanks Wojo

T Rick

Practically Family
Of Art's colors (only seen on the computer so far myself), you have picked my two favorites! Good luck choosing, when the time finally comes, I will have the same dilemma.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Computer screens and the flash of the camera will change a color for sure...

See if someone has the felt samples from Art and willing to send to you to see in real life..

Or perhaps see if Art will send you some... That way you have the real thing in your hands and can check with your wardrobe for what matches...

With that said.... the felt colors will change with the light also... The Whiskey color is great and changes all day long depending upon the light....

But I would seriously suggest you get the samples and you will be able to make a wiser decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran