Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bobm

A-List Customer
Here's a question for you. I have a couple of Borsalino's - one is fairly stiff, and more formal - suitable for dress ware and even nice casual wear, the other is a very informal fedora - crushable and weather repellent. My question is what fedoras are more rigid than my crusher, but yet fairly soft and suitable for inclement weather and/or more rigorous activities? Something that can be worn hiking and yet still look nice enough for casual/street ware. Sort of along the Indiana Jones model, but without being that exact model, as it is so popular and associated with the character as to (IMHO) look like kind of cartoonish on most guys?

Bob

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Here's a question for you. I have a couple of Borsalino's - one is fairly stiff, and more formal - suitable for dress ware and even nice casual wear, the other is a very informal fedora - crushable and weather repellent. My question is what fedoras are more rigid than my crusher, but yet fairly soft and suitable for inclement weather and/or more rigorous activities? Something that can be worn hiking and yet still look nice enough for casual/street ware. Sort of along the Indiana Jones model, but without being that exact model, as it is so popular and associated with the character as to (IMHO) look like kind of caroonish on most guys?

Bob

Just about ANY Akubra would work well for what you've outlined as your needs. Fedora style wise there is the Squatter, Bushman, Stylemaster, Sydney, Traveller, Casua, all available within 3 days anywhere in the US from DM and the same as well as the CEO, Bogart, Federation, Campdraft and a few more from OZ retailers taking up to 3 mo's shipping depending on model and stock available. Some are open crowned allowing you to crease as you like and some come pre-creased but can be changed with some steam and a little work by you or a hatter. You CANNOT go wrong with an Akubra IMHO :)

The Fed IV is a straight, tall crown. It looks most like a 30's style hat, similar too, but not exactly like Indy. Comes in Moonstone gray(light), carbon gray(dark), black, and tawny fawn (a medium brown).
Understand, however that to some folks, someone wearing a fedora of any type with or without a leather jacket is "Indiana Jones".

mattface

Practically Family
It seems to me most any fedora, but especially any brown fedora is likely to be called an Indy hat by folks who have little other association with fedoras. OTOH you have the hat geeks here who will point out the differences between the officially licensed indy hats and the ones actually used in the movies. I think if you steer away from brown you'll avoid the worst of it. The thing is I kinda LIKE brown and I'd really like to have a brown fedora, and the hat I'm most digging on lately is the Fed 4, so I suppose I'll just have to suck it up, and bear the inevitable association with a fictional character.

JohnnyDollar

Familiar Face
I have worn my Stetson Eagle Medalist (almost a fawn color) with an A-2 jacket ( A-2s and fedoras are a match made in heaven) all around Montpelier and to the mall and haven't really gotten any comments. I do see a lot of fedoras around Montpelier on a fairly regular basis so I think you will be fine if you get a brown one Matt .

Also my response if called Indy or Indiana Jones is to look at them, smile and say "Thats Dr. Jones, sir..."

mattface

Practically Family
I have worn my Stetson Eagle Medalist (almost a fawn color) with an A-2 jacket ( A-2s and fedoras are a match made in heaven) all around Montpelier and to the mall and haven't really gotten any comments. I do see a lot of fedoras around Montpelier on a fairly regular basis so I think you will be fine if you get a brown one Matt .

Also my response if called Indy or Indiana Jones is to look at them, smile and say "Thats Dr. Jones, sir..."

True, Montpelier is a small town, and folks are used to seeing me in a fedora, I doubt anyone will mistake me for Harrison Ford. ;)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Any thoughts on the Akruba Banjo Paterson?

Bob

What's to say? It's an AKUBRA :) The style is a nice smaller brimed Aussie style allowing it to "fit in" in suburban America rather than the full on Aussie styles such as the Cattleman and Territory with their MUCH WIDER brims. Having owned and used Akubra's for over 32 years you CANNOT go wrong with ANY of their hats as they are probably one of if not the BEST production hat made anywhere today !! Get one, you WILL like it :)

Van De Laak

New in Town
My next hat... advise requested. (Bailey Wynn or a Bailey Jamison?)

Hi all,

Currently I 'only' have 3 hats.

For hiking, a River Guide hat from Outback Trading Company.
A simple trilby from Sterkowski.
A Bailey Porkpie, the Bailey Willis

Now... I would like to buy another trilby to replace the Sterkowski. (small Polish brand)

Don't have lots of money to spend, so I noticed the Bailey Jamison (black), and Bailey Winn. (grey)

Can't seem to find lots of reviews/pics of these. Does anyone have any experience or pics of these hats? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

bobm

A-List Customer
What's to say? It's an AKUBRA :) The style is a nice smaller brimed Aussie style allowing it to "fit in" in suburban America rather than the full on Aussie styles such as the Cattleman and Territory with their MUCH WIDER brims. Having owned and used Akubra's for over 32 years you CANNOT go wrong with ANY of their hats as they are probably one of if not the BEST production hat made anywhere today !! Get one, you WILL like it :)

Is it a fairly soft felt hat, or stiffer like the more formal Borsalinos? Any luvk in steaming up the back and sides to turn the back brim up?

Bob

job

One Too Many
I have tried on one wool hat and found it to be like some costume hat. Next to a rabbit felt hat it feels real cheap. I have bought three production hats and now buy custom. It's more expensive but if your truly going to wear a fedora a lot than it is worth it. If you can make it to a hat shop you will see the difference.

Van De Laak

New in Town
Bailey Jamison - a good bet?

Hi all,

After my good experience with my Bailey Willis (wide brimmed pork pie), I would like to get another Bailey. This time perhaps the Bailey Jamison. (brown) I think is a smart looking hat. Has anyone any experience/thoughts regarding this hat? I noticed that the brim can be worn down as well. Thank you for any advise.

Here is a link with a few zoomable pics.

With brim down:

http://www.butterystore.co.uk/stock/item/bailey-jamison-cordova

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
You aren't likely to find people here with personal experience with this hat. Generally this group doesn't care for or buy wool felt hats. The problem is that they shrink if they get wet so they don't normally last very long. You might look for a fur felt pork pie on Ebay. Generally, the stingy brims are pretty inexpensive. The pork pie you see on my head below is a vintage Resistol of high quality that I bought on Ebay for less than $20.

porkpie.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24