Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Also, at the bottom right hand of each post is icon balloon with quotation marks and a plus sign, to "Multi-Quote This Message." Click on that icon on each post you want to quote, which places a check mark on the icon. On the last message, click "Reply With Quote," and they're all quoted in your reply window.

Brad

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Also, at the bottom right hand of each post is icon balloon with quotation marks and a plus sign, to "Multi-Quote This Message." Click on that icon on each post you want to quote, which places a check mark on the icon. On the last message, click "Reply With Quote," and they're all quoted in your reply window.

Brad

FAR OUT :) It works :)

T Rick

Practically Family
here's a question. how do i use multiple quotes in my post on the forum?

Look under the post(s) you want to quote, next to the "Reply with quote" button (to the right of it) is another button with a quote box and quote sign in it. Click there (you will see a check mark appear next to it, replacing a plus sign that is there at the start). Do this for each post you want to include, then click "reply to thread", and the quotes will appear (you can arrange the order in which they appear by clicking them in the order you wish to have them appear). Be careful to keep your own text outside the quote tags, or it becomes a confusing mess ;).

ETA: Sorry guys, I didn't see there was another page that already had addressed the quote question. I did add a bit though, in that I do tell how to rearrange the order the quoted posts appear in the thread. This is helpful to the fluidity and continuity of a post on occasion.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
What are these hats? (aside from the first one looking like he has it on sideways...) I think someone just posted a very similar one to the bottom photo in the ebay thread.
jackwhitecoldmountainma.jpg

jackwhite21.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
What are these hats? (aside from the first one looking like he has it on sideways...) I think someone just posted a very similar one to the bottom photo in the ebay thread.
jackwhitecoldmountainma.jpg

jackwhite21.jpg

Vaquero style hats and gaucho hats seem to be what you are looking for. The one in the first photo looks like a western with a telescoped crown and a pencil curl.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Cleaning vintage felt

I'd like to clean several vintage fedoras I've purchased recently. Here in Cleveland we have a hat store that does clean and block. But I'm thinking that I might like to give this a try before paying someone else to do it. I suspect there are plenty of threads on the topic, but my search didn't pull up any. So if anyone knows of any threads (or wants to share their advice), please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

I'd like to clean several vintage fedoras I've purchased recently. Here in Cleveland we have a hat store that does clean and block. But I'm thinking that I might like to give this a try before paying someone else to do it. I suspect there are plenty of threads on the topic, but my search didn't pull up any. So if anyone knows of any threads (or wants to share their advice), please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

The first answer to your query is "how dirty are these vintage fedoras?" Some just need a real good brushing & others need a naptha bath. Search on "naptha" to get up to speed with that.
Do you have a good hat brush or the orange sponges for hat cleaning? If so, brush/sponge them real good. Get some talcum powder, apply that, work it into any stained areas then brush it out vigorously. Liners & sweatbands are a different story. I get antiseptic wipes like those in first aid kits & wipe out the inside of a new-to-me lid. There are leather cleaner/conditioner wipes out there that I use on the sweatbands. If the liners are really soiled, they come out & get a cold water/Woolite bath. HTH

Lefty

I'll Lock Up

Do not give any of your hats to Mike the Hatter.
Gtd beat me to the rest. :)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up

How did you do your search? Did you try the Lounge advanced title search option? A Google search within site will turn up even more material, though organized differently.

Start with brushing, or steam and brushing. A sponge cleaning is also effective. In my view, chemicals and solvents are required as a last resort only in certain cases.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
The first answer to your query is "how dirty are these vintage fedoras?" Some just need a real good brushing & others need a naptha bath. Search on "naptha" to get up to speed with that.
Do you have a good hat brush or the orange sponges for hat cleaning? If so, brush/sponge them real good. Get some talcum powder, apply that, work it into any stained areas then brush it out vigorously. Liners & sweatbands are a different story. I get antiseptic wipes like those in first aid kits & wipe out the inside of a new-to-me lid. There are leather cleaner/conditioner wipes out there that I use on the sweatbands. If the liners are really soiled, they come out & get a cold water/Woolite bath. HTH

Many thanks for the quick reply.

I'm looking at some dirt/spots here and there, and some sweat staining of the felt and liner. I'm thinking the naptha bath won't be necessary. I like the idea of the wipes you suggest, plus the woolite bath for the liner.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
How did you do your search? Did you try the Lounge advanced title search option? A Google search within site will turn up even more material, though organized differently.

Start with brushing, or steam and brushing. A sponge cleaning is also effective. In my view, chemicals and solvents are required as a last resort only in certain cases.

Well, that brush I got from David Morgan with my new Akubra will come in handy. Looks like I'll be having some cleaning fun over the weekend. Thanks for the reply.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Well, that brush I got from David Morgan with my new Akubra will come in handy. Looks like I'll be having some cleaning fun over the weekend. Thanks for the reply.
You'd be amazed what a good thorough brushing can do for a hat. I ALWAYS give my felts a quick brush most days before I put them on, you'd be amazed at how much "stuff" is floating in the air these days :)

Orangegrad

Practically Family
You'd be amazed what a good thorough brushing can do for a hat. I ALWAYS give my felts a quick brush most days before I put them on, you'd be amazed at how much "stuff" is floating in the air these days :)

What I can't understand is how a hat that is clean when I put it down, by the next morning has a spot on the brim. No kids in the house, no food near the hat. Cats don't go on that table. Pixies?

The hats I'm looking to clean are at least 55 years old, and I'm thinking these stains may not want to come out. They've been there for years, and are quite happy there.

HatsEnough

Banned
Can we get one thread where all the good guys that repair hats can be listed?

I now Optimo does it, but there are a bunch of others that do good work on cleaning, blocking, and ribbon and sweatband replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav