Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Saturday I received a nice boater from ebay and it came in a vintage box from a well-known maker for an extremely-popular vintage hat that routinely sells in the hundreds of dollars. As I don't have (and never will) this particular model of hat, it seems like a good idea to sell the box.

Can anyone give me a sense of what I should charge for this box? I'm not looking to make a lot of money on it but I don't want to give it away, either.

Thanks!

Tom

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Saturday I received a nice boater from ebay and it came in a vintage box from a well-known maker for an extremely-popular vintage hat that routinely sells in the hundreds of dollars. As I don't have (and never will) this particular model of hat, it seems like a good idea to sell the box.

Can anyone give me a sense of what I should charge for this box? I'm not looking to make a lot of money on it but I don't want to give it away, either.

Thanks!

Tom
I just paid $18 for a decent stratoliner box with no internals.

bradbraden

New in Town
Not thrilled with reply from Miller

1155.jpg

Well, I called Miller hats on this one. There were two things I asked, one was who manufactures the hat. I was told that it was manufactured by a supplier in Canada (but not Biltmore) and they did not elaborate further. Also because I am in Philadelphia and they are in Houston I asked if they could email me some additional photos of the hat (directly in front and from the side). They said they couldn't do that. I don't think that was an unreasonable request, if I'm interested in purchasing the hat(they said it was there at their store) and I can't travel to see it the least they could do is send a couple of photos via email.

Last edited:

Duper

Practically Family
Hi guys, two questions. How does the modern Stetson Stratoliner compare to a Stetson Chatham for size, shape and felt quality. I own the Noggintop version called a Bear Creek in the tawny colour. How would the caribou colour compare to Akubra's moonstone? Similar? I will be in the Detroit area over the Xmas holidays and was considering a trip to Henry the Hatters as they now stock the new Stratoliner.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Does it make any difference how long you leave a hat on a stretcher after steaming it and coaxing it up half a size? I've left it on overnight, but it seems to stubbornly return to its old size. Would an additional day or week help?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've steamed and stretched hats. The length of time you leave them on the stretcher is not as important as how far you stretch them. I have found that stretching beyond my size has been most effective because when the hat contracts, and it will, it will not contract as far because it's starting out larger.

I put the stretcher in, crank it up, remove it, and put the hat on my head. If the hat falls down over my ears, I put the stretcher back in and leave it for at least a day. It may take a couple of tries but I've had hats stay in more or less the right size when I'm done.

DNO

One Too Many
Well, I called Miller hats on this one. There were two things I asked, one was who manufactures the hat. I was told that it was manufactured by a supplier in Canada (but not Biltmore) and they did not elaborate further. Also because I am in Philadelphia and they are in Houston I asked if they could email me some additional photos of the hat (directly in front and from the side). They said they couldn't do that. I don't think that was an unreasonable request, if I'm interested in purchasing the hat(they said it was there at their store) and I can't travel to see it the least they could do is send a couple of photos via email.

Might be Magill Hat Company. They produce and wholesale hats in Quebec. Here's their website: http://www.magillhat.com/

Brass Rooster

Vendor
I am trying to acquire an ORIGINAL copy of Scientific Hat Making and Renovating. I hope someone out there that has 2 may sell one to me. If you have one available please call, The Brass Rooster, 414 988-5222, Ask for John or leave a message and it will be promptly returned. Thank you guys.

Duper

Practically Family
Caribou is a darker blue/grey than the Moonstone, more closer to the Glen Grey. IMHO

Thanks, it will be good to see the hat and handle it in person if I have the chance to sneak over to Detroit at Xmas. Seems like Silverbelly would be the safer bet for me colourwise.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I am trying to acquire an ORIGINAL copy of Scientific Hat Making and Renovating. I hope someone out there that has 2 may sell one to me. If you have one available please call, The Brass Rooster, 414 988-5222, Ask for John or leave a message and it will be promptly returned. Thank you guys.

I understand that you are looking for an original copy. Over the years I have seen at least one ORIGINAL copy, maybe two. You may want to put your request in the Lounge Classifieds.

Good luck in your search.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Am I correct that the classifieds is a sales board and not a WTB board as well? I don't think I've seen a WTB post in the classifieds yet, though there may have been some that I didn't notice. Is there a place to post WTB posts? Or not done in the Lounge?

Thanks!

m0nk

One Too Many
Ok, not sure if this has been covered before, though I've searched numerous times and haven't found my answer...

I'd like to find a 2" grosgrain ribbon in either dark grey or black that I can try to give a hat the vintage look, but all I find online is 1 1/2", or Petersham millinery edge ribbon, which I'd prefer not to use. Where can I find 2" grosgrain? It doesn't need to be specifically vintage, but if it is, that could work just as well. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24