Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I saw an article in the LA Times about using velcro to fix a hat that was too big, and was wondering what methods you have used to snug up a loose-fitting hat.

Do you buy designated hat-sizing tape or have you been told that 3M weatherstripping is just as good? Are you the guy who inserts a slip of paper behind the band or do you opt for a strip of felt or foam?
I've tried several. The weatherstripping tape works quite well; you don't have to remove the backing strip and fasten it into the hat until you're sure the fit is good. I wish I could find some more of the packing foam that HatsDirect (out of Australia) and others use to pack their hats -- a strip of white foam, no thicker than the weatherstripping, but wider, so it fits under the sweatband even better.

hyhats

New in Town
The width certainly makes a difference as to comfort -- have you ever run into trying to snug up a hat that has a sweatband that's been sewn down?

Little Wolf

New in Town
Hatari! John Wayne's fishing hat.

I was wondering, does anybody here know wether the hat that John Wayne wore in Hatari! is still being produced? Also, what does anyone know about the hat itself? It looks to me to have about a 5" bill, of black patent leather, with the main body of the hat being light canvas duck. It also seems to have a stylized yellow on black jumping swordfish on the front. Does anyone know if the neck cloth shown in some scenes is attached to the hat itself, or is it a handkerchief tucked into the hat.

Last edited:

masiaka

Familiar Face
I can tell you that the style of hat is called a "long bill fishing cap" by most retailers. The bill is usually 1/2" longer than normal ball caps or 4" long, I think that the perspective of the photo makes the bill look longer though I have seen 5" bills in advertisements.
This picture:
hemcap5id.jpg

Comes from here on the Lounge. The leather on both hats looks to be commercially tanned (e.g. not vegetable or brain tanned), but not coated in shiny plastic or lacquer like patent leather. I bet if you look hard enough you can find a hat almost like the Duke's, but I don't think you'll find another swordfish patch exactly like the movie version. Best of luck, though.

Last edited:

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Hi,

a few days ago, i bought this trilby- hat on a car boot sale. I spent at least 7€ for it, thats not much.

Now i don't know how old it is, or what kind of company sold it (Sorry for my english, it's not my primary language :) ).

Here are the pics, hope you can see something on them.

http://imageshack.us/g/808/img0004ba.jpg/

Kind regards,
Ere

I'd like to repeat my question. Maybe it wasn't read.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
I'd like to repeat my question. Maybe it wasn't read.

Ere, Ich würde sagen, ist aus den mitte 70 er Jahre bis 80 er Jahre. Form und das Band ist eigendlich typisch Mayser oder Wegener.
Das der Hut in Lizenz hergestellt ist, bestätigt eigendlich meine Vermutung das es einer der beiden oben genannten Firmen ist.

My guess, its from the mid 70s to 80s. The form and ribbon looks typical for Mayser or Wegener.
The Hat is produced in Lizenz, this only confirms my conjecture.

Look this.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Hut-Bogarthu...ssoires_Herrenmützen_Hüte&hash=item3f12aca13d

Last edited:

chazwazzle

New in Town
Hello! I am looking at purchasing a Stetson Open Road hopefully within a few days! And I have searched every store in my town to try on different sizes but none had a stetson, let alone one in my size. I consistently measure my head at 24.5 inches. The thing is that looking at sizing charts some say that I should wear 7 5/8 and some say 7 3/4. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal but I would like to save that extra $30 shipping if I need to return it. So any big headed Open Road wearers out there willing to help a man who wants a new lid?!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Hello! I am looking at purchasing a Stetson Open Road hopefully within a few days! And I have searched every store in my town to try on different sizes but none had a stetson, let alone one in my size. I consistently measure my head at 24.5 inches. The thing is that looking at sizing charts some say that I should wear 7 5/8 and some say 7 3/4. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal but I would like to save that extra $30 shipping if I need to return it. So any big headed Open Road wearers out there willing to help a man who wants a new lid?!

You are always free to put a Wanted Ad in the Classifieds section. Maybe you can find an OR in your size at a price you like that way.

Welcome to the Lounge ... :yo:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
O yes, I have been scouring the classified page...but with a head measuring 24.5 inches should I be looking for a 7 5/8 or a 7 3/4 size OR

You may want to visit a haberdashery. That's a great way to learn your size. The shape of your head can also be an important factor. For example, you may be long or wide oval, or such. Trying on hats before making an online purchase might improve your chances of getting it right on your first attempt.

Last edited:

Dennis Holt

New in Town
Ok, I stretched my akubra cattleman where I like it. I actually over stretched it a bit and packed a little foam in the sweatband so if it shrank again I could just remove some of the foam. Just through the course of the day I've actually had to remove some already. My question is this: Will it shrink back to original size or will I have to repeatedly stretch. If so, thats more trouble than I want out of a hat. I want to wear it and forget about it. Get it dirty and earn it some character and enjoy it being on my sweaty head.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Ere, Ich würde sagen, ist aus den mitte 70 er Jahre bis 80 er Jahre. Form und das Band ist eigendlich typisch Mayser oder Wegener.
Das der Hut in Lizenz hergestellt ist, bestätigt eigendlich meine Vermutung das es einer der beiden oben genannten Firmen ist.

My guess, its from the mid 70s to 80s. The form and ribbon looks typical for Mayser or Wegener.
The Hat is produced in Lizenz, this only confirms my conjecture.

Look this.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Hut-Bogarthu...ssoires_Herrenmützen_Hüte&hash=item3f12aca13d

Thank you! Danke dir!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW