Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I saw an attorney one day and he had a snappy looking Panama hat and he said it was a Bailey crushable one. Now, I do want it to look nice, but with crushable, I dont have to worry as much about brim losing its shape, or setting it on its crown, or worrying if something happens to it as much as if I had a felt hat.

I have a really cheap J Crew straw hat, gave like $7 for it, that is a really stingy brim and the straw is mediocre. Kinda something fun to wear over a ball cap and would be great for after the beach.

I am thinking now is the time, if I wear to get one, to get a crushable hat. What is the consensus on these sorts of hats, and a Bailey model in particular, since I can get that locally (these hats I am looking at are here: http://www.mrhats.com)

I am liking the Collins model, the Hanson and maybe the Brooks. Feel free to suggest others, but I like the look of a Panama Bob hat but with the features of a crushable perhaps, something that I dont have to baby as much as I would my Panama Bob hat.
I don't think all those models you stated are crushable straw models by Bailey. Bailey has "packable" straw models.
Those types are usually synthetic materials that pop back to a given shape but are far from nice straw hats as wool crushers are from nice fur felt hats.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Gtdean, my bad on using the wrong word. I have a Bailey wool I just picked up and yes, it is not as nice as my Stetson Saxon but it is a great knockaround hat. Well, is there something in a Panama hat that is going to hold up a bit better and not have the brim get out of shape like my Panama Bob hat? In other words, I saw a Borsalino panama hat but I would be hard on that and for the money, I dont think Im into it that much. But something that is not as cheap as some of what I see in the vacation shops in Florida so I was thinking the Bailey packable/crushable thing?

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
Crushable may not be a virtue, but uncrushable is a flaw. My straw Stetson (probably 20 weaves per inch) didn't hold up well to even being knocked on its side. I know, I should have taken better care of it (and I got it reblocked back to just-about-good-as-new for relatively little), but the bottom line is I need a hat that can keep up with me. If you haven't had a problem with malformations in the hat, I wouldn't say it's a necessity - but if you are having those problems, I believe that would be the solution. For me, I'm going to save up for a crushable B. Brent Black, but I can understand if those extend the price range of a reasonable, fiscally responsible person unlike myself.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the Bailey brand.

Mrmicawber

New in Town
Bowler Hat Questions

Dear Gentlemen,

Great site! First time post here. I've been reading this forum with pleasure and am brimming with questions ;)

First, regarding sizing.

My head size is approximately 22 3/4, as best as I can measure it. This is a little over an inch above my eyebrows - about where I think I’d wear my hat, and about an inch above my ears. Does that placement sound right? Moving the tape measure about a bit, I get measurements anywhere from 22 1/2” to 23”.

No doubt it really depends on how you wear your hat, I suppose?

Anyway, seemingly this puts me between:

1. 7 UK, 7 1/8 US, Eur 57
  2. 7 1/8 UK, 7 1/4, Euro 58

I keep reading and hearing that many find they are figuratively drowning in bowler hats - not sure why since they seem a much tighter silhouette than most dress hats.

For general style/how I’ll wear it reasons, though, I think I may prefer the smaller size. Is this a mistake? The vintage I’m contemplating purchasing is not a super stiff hard-hat type bowler.

On the other hand, probably the shape of every bowler is so different that one really has to “try on” the hat?

Second, regarding handling & care
What is the proper way to handle a bowler hat? Always by the brim, I know. But when I take it off and put it down briefly - brim down or up? And at home - on a peg or in a box, brim down?

Third regarding cleaning/refurbishment

To whom do you send your hat when it needs cleaning and/or work? Locks? Pateys? Who is competent to deal with vintage bowler?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Many thanks for reading.

~Mr. Micawber

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the lounge.

Please check out the important hat forum threads link stickied at the top of the forum.

General questions with regards to fit and wear have been answered many times over in various threads.

With regards to Bowler hats, the definitive thread is here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?32818-The-Bowler-or-Derby-Hat

Likewise, the "ask a question, get an answer" thread is considered the best place for general questions.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
LEt me ask you about color of hats. Today, I wore slate blue dress pants, a brownish shirt with blue hues and a darker blue zip sweater. Asked wife if the black wool or the midgray Stetson Saxon looked better. She said Saxon.

Do I take the black hat back and use the funds to buy a darker charcoal grey hat? Or keep the black wool for crappy days and black coats and then buy a charcoal grey hat anyway?

Im gonna pull out that brown Akubra but the bigger brim, I dont know about. and Brown is not a great color on me.

But glad I got to wear the Steton without a suit.

LEt me ask you about color of hats. Today, I wore slate blue dress pants, a brownish shirt with blue hues and a darker blue zip sweater. Asked wife if the black wool or the midgray Stetson Saxon looked better. She said Saxon.

Do I take the black hat back and use the funds to buy a darker charcoal grey hat? Or keep the black wool for crappy days and black coats and then buy a charcoal grey hat anyway?

Im gonna pull out that brown Akubra but the bigger brim, I dont know about. and Brown is not a great color on me.

But glad I got to wear the Steton without a suit.

Silverbelly is a versatile color. It with a black or navy ribbon would go with what you are describing, IMHO.
I have 1 black hat & seldom wear it even with dark suits & overcoats. Black is way too formal to me.
A mid-grey like Moonstone with a dark ribbon would suffice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner