Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Landman

One Too Many
Ok, a couple of "who's the best hatter who can..." questions (affordable or not):

1. fedora with a westernized brim flange?

2. fedora with a nice, thin, round, pencil curl? (Okay I'm just going to come out with it-- I want this hat:

lawlesst479.jpg
)

3. With regard to #1, am I just thinking of an Indie hat without actually saying it? If so, Penman, Akubra Fed IV, or what?

Jeff,

You might want to check out Texas Hatters website. They make quite a few hats like that.

Bespoken4

New in Town
I suppose the answer to my question already lies somewhere in the archives...but thought one of you gents could help me date a Stetson Open Road I just acquired. It looks to be 1930's vintage to my semi-untrained eye (judging from the patina, font and clearly quite old logo), but I really don't know that much about Open Roads and haven't been able to find the answer to my query of when they were first sold. Here are two interior views of the hat--which measures to be, sadly for me, a size 6 3/4 (and I'm much larger of noggin). Found it in an antique store in SW Michigan last week and I felt the need to "rescue" it and find it a good home. Can anyone date this for me? Or add the link of where I can find a previous discussion of this topic? Thanks much!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I suppose the answer to my question already lies somewhere in the archives...but thought one of you gents could help me date a Stetson Open Road I just acquired. It looks to be 1930's vintage to my semi-untrained eye (judging from the patina, font and clearly quite old logo), but I really don't know that much about Open Roads and haven't been able to find the answer to my query of when they were first sold. ...
Open Roads in thin ribbon configuration were not sold until late 1940's so 1930's is impossible.
Does it still have size tag & is there a 3X emblem imprinted on the sweatband?

Bespoken4

New in Town
Open Roads in thin ribbon configuration were not sold until late 1940's so 1930's is impossible.
Does it still have size tag & is there a 3X emblem imprinted on the sweatband?

The size tag is gone...and the only "X" I can find is the "XXX" as shown in the photo. Do you know when the first Open Road was issued? And/or what years this logo (with the man and the horse) was used? I'd never seen this logo on a Stetson before (though I am admittedly not a Stetson pro). Thx, GM

RBH

Bartender
Ok, a couple of "who's the best hatter who can..." questions (affordable or not):

1. fedora with a westernized brim flange?

2. fedora with a nice, thin, round, pencil curl? (Okay I'm just going to come out with it-- I want this hat:

lawlesst479.jpg
)

3. With regard to #1, am I just thinking of an Indie hat without actually saying it? If so, Penman, Akubra Fed IV, or what?

Give Mike a holler..he and Rocky can make a sweet roll... on a brim.
He is one from Mikes facebook page.

lawlessm.jpg

And he here a shot of a two tone derby he made.

552556_380824881937930_167951053225315_1191966_1511840222_n.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Quoting Bowlerman - "I ask because one of my customs, which I had hoped to get with a rolled raw brim (and don't get me wrong-- it is still one of my favs, as well as my usual go-to hat!), arrived with the brim more or less folded over, like an overwelt without any stitching."

Disturbing, to say the least. I don't know of any custom hatter that would want to leave a customer with that level of dissatisfaction. You know, with steam and the right tools, the brim can be re-done. If not for the cost of shipping there and back, you should consider sending (or taking) it back to the original hatter or to any other hatter to have the brim curl re-done.

Thanks-- you know I did consider that at first, but kind of fell in love with the hat as-is, so I'm gonna leave that one alone for now. My suspicion is that this person probably doesn't have a curling shackle.

Jeff,

You might want to check out Texas Hatters website. They make quite a few hats like that.

Cool, I have sent a few inquiries around.

Give Mike a holler..he and Rocky can make a sweet roll... on a brim.
He is one from Mikes facebook page.

lawlessm.jpg

And he here a shot of a two tone derby he made.

552556_380824881937930_167951053225315_1191966_1511840222_n.jpg

Rusty, these are sweet examples, especially that first one. That is an excellent recommendation after getting a good visual like this! Also, I will have to get on his facebook page. Thanks!!!

The size tag is gone...and the only "X" I can find is the "XXX" as shown in the photo. Do you know when the first Open Road was issued? And/or what years this logo (with the man and the horse) was used? I'd never seen this logo on a Stetson before (though I am admittedly not a Stetson pro). Thx, GM

The truly first Open Road was in the early 1930s but it was a wide ribbon. The model then was re-issued in 1948 as the thin ribbon/bound edge icon we know today.
The Last Drop liner, like the embroidered one you have, was used in early 1950s thru early 1960s.

tealseal

A-List Customer
106 viewing now on New Year's Eve? That's a lot of lurkers.
One of those might be me, since I sometimes don't log-in. On that note, is there a way to change how long it takes for your login to time out?

Second question: Can anyone recommend a reliable source for those black plastic hat stands? I can't remember where I got mine and I could use a couple more.

Happy nearly 2013!

One of those might be me, since I sometimes don't log-in. On that note, is there a way to change how long it takes for your login to time out?

Second question: Can anyone recommend a reliable source for those black plastic hat stands? I can't remember where I got mine and I could use a couple more.

Happy nearly 2013!

Time-out = not that I know of. I just check the "stay logged in" button & never log out...
Hat stands = http://www.horsetown.com/index.php?p=product&id=7178
even cheaper = http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/products/hat-rest-plastic

scooter

Practically Family
Tom, you are a wealth of information. By the way, on another thread, you advised someone on the proportions of his hat above and below the brim as it related to his facial features. I've often looked at a hat on myself, or another, and felt it just didn't look quite right, but I could never put my finger on it. Now I know, thanks to you!

Tom, you are a wealth of information. By the way, on another thread, you advised someone on the proportions of his hat above and below the brim as it related to his facial features. I've often looked at a hat on myself, or another, and felt it just didn't look quite right, but I could never put my finger on it. Now I know, thanks to you!
My pleasure Scooter, just trying to give back as I have learned a bunch here. Happy New Year = lots of lovely lids!

hutch

Familiar Face
I have a question about turning a lapel pin into a hat pin. Does anyone here know where I can go to have a lapel pin backing turned into an actual hat pin backing? I think I can go to a jeweler to have this done but what exactly do I tell them? Are there any typical " specs" I can give them? Have any of you had this done and if so, how successful was the conversion?

tridentine

Suspended
I found a Stetson with a size tag only saying "5/8"
Does this mean it is 7 5/8 or another measurment.

The owner does not have any other information.

It could be 6 5/8, though unlikely. That would be a very small size and approximately three inches less in circumference than a 7 5/8. A measurement from the seller should clear it up.

RBH

Bartender
I have a question about turning a lapel pin into a hat pin. Does anyone here know where I can go to have a lapel pin backing turned into an actual hat pin backing? I think I can go to a jeweler to have this done but what exactly do I tell them? Are there any typical " specs" I can give them? Have any of you had this done and if so, how successful was the conversion?

You can get something like this and 'glue' it to the pin.
Take a dremel and grind the post off.
Then attatch the pin...

You would need the 16mm pin I would think. You can do a search on this site to see if you could only order that size.
I hope this helps.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/16mm...lver-Metal-Bar-Pin-Back-Brooch/412620813.html

hutch

Familiar Face
You can get something like this and 'glue' it to the pin.
Take a dremel and grind the post off.
Then attatch the pin...

You would need the 16mm pin I would think. You can do a search on this site to see if you could only order that size.
I hope this helps.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/16mm...lver-Metal-Bar-Pin-Back-Brooch/412620813.html

This could be an option for some pins but I think on one particular pin design these backing a word show. Thanks for the idea RBH.

Hutch

Wrong thread!

Sorry if this post was in the wrong place. I did a site search but I didn't find anything specific to my question.

Hutch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner