Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Sorry if this post was in the wrong place. I did a site search but I didn't find anything specific to my question.

Hutch
Hutch, so sorry for the confusion! As Splinter noted, I was referring to my own edited post, not yours. I should have made that more clear. You were right on the money with your question.

Sorry for the confusion,
Aaron

Last edited:

hutch

Familiar Face
Hutch, so sorry for the confusion! As Splinter noted, I was referring to my own edited post, not yours. I should have made that more clear. You were right on the money with your question.

Sorry for the confusion,
Aaron

No problem, I guess I was the one who was confused. Happy New Year and cheers!

Hutch

bigmac4665

New in Town
i have a really nice churchill hat that i dont know much more about. it was my great grandfathers, and it is mad of genuine suede leather. i would like to know more about it if anyone knows about churchills.

When is the next Fedora get-together, and where can I get information on this?

In the Community part of the Forum is a section titled EVENTS, there is where the various members posts events and get-togethers from around the globe. For new members this part is one that opens up when you become a vested member with about 15 posts, the same time you get PM priviledges.

Last edited:

Scouter Warren

New in Town
Thank you for letting me through the Lounge door.

As an avid outdoorsman and ‘Blue Collar’ worker living north of the 49th, I’ve worn hats for years. Never anything special until I was given an official Scouts Australia Mountcastle wool crushable. It’s dark blue teardrop crease, 3” flat brim. Since Scouts Canada did away with official headgear, giving a formal dressed Scout an unfinished look, this has become my dress hat, rain hat and camping hat. When I discover what classy hat suits my head while circulating in normal social circles, I’ll buy one.

Meanwhile, I often volunteer as a designated bus / limo driver, conveying drunkards safely home. One of the perks is gratuities, and being well dressed surely helps. So I’ve decided to acquire a chauffeur hat. I don’t like the stiff police look, I like a softer, more casual hat, but not as well worn as Ralph Kramden’s bus cap (which looks like a muffin). I guess I’m looking for the ’50’s private chauffeur look... perhaps with a leather brim. No hat badge. Suggestions and sources?

Last edited:

tridentine

Suspended
I am interested in restoring several hats.

I have no knowledge of this amazing process but I feel a desire to do this.

Can anyone please direct me towards some beginner information in working on hats?

Perhaps I should get a block to begin with?

Thank you very much.
danphunter1@aol.com or PM me.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Lots of threads on that subject around here. Personally, trial and error seems to offer the most knowledge. There are tons of great examples that can be applied to restoration in the "Conversion Corral" thread, if you haven't already checked that one.

Scouter Warren

New in Town
Thank you. I'm rather taken by the Ivy Lambskin driving cap. It's way classier than the chauffeur caps but may give the impression that "this limo driver makes too much money". But I like it and I guess that's what counts.

tridentine

Suspended
Hat block question

If you want to get a hat block to block a 7 1/2 size [American] hat ,do you have to have a 7 5/8 hat block?

Also what size flange block would one need for a 7 1/2 size?
Thank you

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
If you want to get a hat block to block a 7 1/2 size [American] hat ,do you have to have a 7 5/8 hat block?

Also what size flange block would one need for a 7 1/2 size?
Thank you

The size of the flange depends on the width of the brim. As far as the block you use whatever size you want the hat to be, unless you don't want to remove the sweatband, in which case you use one size smaller.

job

One Too Many
I've started viewing this site on my xbox 360 internet explorer app and it is great except that the pics are a little dark. The tv picture is fine for movies but for web viewing it needs some help. Is there anything I can do that does not require me to adjust the tv back and forth between regular viewing and web viewing.

I've started viewing this site on my xbox 360 internet explorer app and it is great except that the pics are a little dark. The tv picture is fine for movies but for web viewing it needs some help. Is there anything I can do that does not require me to adjust the tv back and forth between regular viewing and web viewing.

Probably not. Many TV's have that menu part where you can select the settings for movies Light to Dark, regular TV, sports etc.
You have to toggle between the setting they have and if you make some on your own.

Was there ever a particular period when narrow ribbons -- 1" to 1.25", say -- were in vogue?

I'd like to sort of take a stab at that. In a way, there is a period where the thin ribbons come on stage as more popular but because they have different connotations as to being sporty and outdoorsy there aren't the main style for a particular time period. It's like in the 40's you see double breasted suits as popular but they still made single breasted suits too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner