Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Thanks for the advice - I don't want to mess up a nice hat with a bad re-bash fail. I think I'll take job's advice and wear it around awhile. If it still doesn't work for me, I'll stick it in the classifieds for a trade.
I am no Cowboy myself but you are not going to "look embarrassingly" while mounting a horse OR entering a cab with that hat. That is a fine looking hat and anyone would wear it with pride despite any geography involved.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
You know, I might be the crazy one, but I wear hats with both a cattleman's crease and Ft. Worth crease around the city. I certainly don't think of it as a faux pas

Warbaby

One Too Many
It's not that I live in a city (I'm in a small town (pop. 10,000) on Vancouver Island), or that western wear is foreign to my sensibilities (I grew up in a small town in Arizona and even had a job breaking horses when I was in college), but that I don't have any western wear (other than a very flashy pair of boots) to go with the hat. If I start wearing the hat, I'll have to start buying cow clothing - and since I get most of my clothing from thrift stores which, around here, are devoid of western wear, I'll have to spend real money buying new stuff. All because of that hat...

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Being in Oklahoma I see that style of hat almost daily, straw or fur depending on the season. Rarely do you see them worn in full costume, they are a dress hat most often seen in town while shopping or in suit and tie on Sunday. Don't let the tail wag the dog.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Ok, I'll give it a fair try and wear it just as I would any other hat. I'd really like to keep it and wear it because I like the style and, as I said earlier, the fit is perfect. Still not 100% convinced, though, that it looks right on me. Might get my wife to snap a photo of the hat on my noggin and post it for your reconsideration...

Squadala

New in Town
I'm a newbie here on the lounge and I've had some questions bouncing around in my head. I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before but, what happens if you wear your hat in the shower? Does the hat achieve a "weathered" look? Also, how many steamings is healthy for a hat?

Last edited:

Squadala

New in Town
Thanks for the help...on a different topic, I've noticed that after steaming my hats, they tend to be stiffer. Is this the fur reacting to the heat, or is it the shellac reacting to the heat?

job

One Too Many
Can someone please explain to me why some hat makers threads were moved while some were not. I just don't get it. Thanks.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Is there a way to get a felt brim to curl up more?

I have a rather wide brim hat, and I'd like there to be a more obvious snap. Now, the front isn't going to be much of a problem as I figure it'll droop with enough wear, but it's going to look mighty odd if the front is all curved down, and the back is still more or less flat.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

I have a rather wide brim hat, and I'd like there to be a more obvious snap. Now, the front isn't going to be much of a problem as I figure it'll droop with enough wear, but it's going to look mighty odd if the front is all curved down, and the back is still more or less flat.

Reflange.

Use a steam iron & a handkerchief between it & the brim. Iron the brim over the edge of the ironing board to put some curl into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24