Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hatriley

New in Town
hi everyone. i was wondering if anyone could identify this hat, and tell me where it's sold.
BAKyNaE.png

i've narrowed it down to being some sort of straw "open-weave" fedora. if someone could find me it online i would say to them "thanks."

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Unlikely that anyone here will be able to give you an exact match. It looks to be a low quality, mass produced modern hat.

Searching for ventilated straw hats will get you in the ballpark. But that hat is really a take on the handwoven semi calado style Panama hats.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Regarding a question I asked a few weeks back -- the brim of a panama being asymmetrical -- I've come to the realization that it might be the bash/pinch that is off centered* instead. Is there any way to be certain? I mean, being that it's straw and not felt, I can't just adjust the pinch myself, can I?

*By off-centered, I mean that if I were to look at the hat from the top (like an egg shaped-clock), the pinch seems to be on the 12:30 (or 1 o' clock) mark, as it were, instead of dead center on "12."

Last edited:
Regarding a question I asked a few weeks back -- the brim of a panama being asymmetrical -- I've come to the realization that it might be the bash/pinch that is off centered* instead. Is there any way to be certain? I mean, being that it's straw and not felt, I can't just adjust the pinch myself, can I?

*By off-centered, I mean that if I were to look at the hat from the top (like an egg shaped-clock), the pinch seems to be on the 12:30 (or 1 o' clock) mark, as it were, instead of dead center on "12."

With a little steam you may be able to soften up the straw to do minor tweaking.
Basically, once a straw crease is blocked in, that is what it is....

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looking for suggestions on where to buy a Milan that would have at least 4 1/4 ht in front and 2 1/2 brim
Any one recommend any sellers?
Thanks

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hmm. I'm not fully informed of the current production hats, but if the custom route is in your buget Bond, Peter Bros makes custom milans from hemp fibers. Several COW members have recieved wide brim Milans from PB in the Indy style (though other styles are available of course). Black Sheep Hatworks also does Milans with wider brims.

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
Had a quick look for this one, but couldn't find it.( My search skills sadly lacking) ..So.. My new Camp Draft seems a little soft .. How can I stiffen it up? Just steam ? My first one is seriously stiffer .. Thanks for help and advice !

Denton

One of the Regulars
Question about hats in the House of Commons

The recent thread on hat etiquette reminded me of the strange protocols for hats in the UK House of Commons in the 19th century. (Probably earlier and possibly later, but I am not sure.) I have seen a few references to these protocols, but have never been able to work out what they were exactly.

As far as I can tell, members of parliament were permitted but not required to wear their hats while in the House. Wearing a hat might have given them a minor political advantage, as in this passage from Anthony Trollope's novel Phineas Finn (1869), where Mr. Mildmay uses the brim of his hat to conceal his facial expression while he is being denounced by the opposition leader Mr. Daubeny:

"Mr. Mildmay was an impassive man who rarely spoke of his own feelings, and no doubt sat with the brim of his hat low down over his eyes in order that no man might judge of them on that occasion by the impression on his features."

I have a few questions. What were the rules exactly? Was the House of Commons considered a public space? Or were these protocols supposed to highlight the special dignity of the elected representatives? When did this practice begin? When did it end?

(From an online search, I gather that, until recently, members of parliament who wished to make a point of order were required to do so seated and with their heads covered. In the late 20th century, two top hats were set aside for this purpose, and discarded only when the rule was changed in 1998. So that appears to be the very end of the story. But I would like to know when members of parliament stopped bringing their own hats with them, and availing themselves of the privilege of covering their heads while the House was in session.)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Had a quick look for this one, but couldn't find it.( My search skills sadly lacking) ..So.. My new Camp Draft seems a little soft .. How can I stiffen it up? Just steam ? My first one is seriously stiffer .. Thanks for help and advice !

Yes, steam should reactivate any stiffener in the felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24