Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Yeah I did. I actually tried what Graham did with the hat he was wearing, and just pinched the tip, but the felt on his hat seems way more malleable for some reason.

Basically, the crease stays the way I want it, but there's still the wrinkle from the original crease on both sides; being that it's the silverbelly, it's particularly visible when there's light and the wrinkle casts a shadow.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
you can always pop it back to open crown, steam and brush it, and start from square one. I've found a bit of steam and pressure from the inside of the hat helps to alleviate old crease lines.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Fortunately that won't be necessary. I steamed the old crease line and then rubbed it a little, and now it's gone. Thanks.

The hat's currently drying on my head. How are you supposed to put it when it's drying? I know that it's supposed to rest on the crown normally, but I'm guessing that might mess up the bash if it's still wet?

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Never rest a hat on it's crown. Over time, it will develop flat areas. Pop the brim up, and set it down, or leave the front snapped down, and hang it over the edge of a table, or something of that nature.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Never rest a hat on it's crown. Over time, it will develop flat areas. Pop the brim up, and set it down, or leave the front snapped down, and hang it over the edge of a table, or something of that nature.

This is for western hats where the brims are shaped & the crowns are not as soft as fedoras.

PHEW. Good thing I mentioned it then, otherwise I'd have continued doing that.

What about panamas?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm sure you gents can help me out...
This is a RRL hat from Ebay. The seller does not show really any good pics, but I think I like what I see. He's referring to it as a "Farmboy" hat.
011.jpg

That is honestly the only shot of the full hat. The rest are of the seller's face close up wearing it just showing the brim.

Problem is, he wants $295 for it. I'm not willing to spend that much.
Does anyone know what type of hat this is? ANd is there something out there similar and more affordable?

Well, for those of you on the edge of your seat, I think I've successfully emulated (for the most part) this RRL hat.
I've had this dusty Knox fedora sitting in my basement for years. It appears to be the same color and have the same ribbon as the RRL. I popped out the bash, which still needs to be steamed, and I successfully stretched it from a vise grip 7 to almost a little loose.
What do you guys think? Did I get it? And best of all, it was for free!
998031_171476676364798_1440159074_n.jpg

Last edited:

jskeen

One of the Regulars
Quick question guys, does this look like a fake leather sweat to you too, and do you know anything about the maker?
dawson.jpg
the MCMXI would translate to 1911, but I doubt that's a manf date. Possibly an incorporation year or a patent date?

Last edited:

Jaxworx

Familiar Face
OK, here's my Q to the assemblage of wisdom here represented:

We take the occasional moto trip in the summer, wearing full-face helmets that inevitably result in the infamous "hat hair" look. Pretty Wife's solution is just to braid up her hair --which goes to the bottom of her back IN the braid -- and stuff it under her jacket while under way, then brush it out when we arrive. My solution for years has been to stuff an old ball cap into my tank bag and jam it over my dome brush; the current go-to selection is a freebie handout from Cabela's that's worn almost white. I've hit the point where I _very much_ dislike glare in my eyes, so a brimmed solution is pretty much mandatory for me.

For the last couple of years, I've avoided ball caps for general wear after having once again become spoiled by full-brimmed hats. My daily go-to is a black Biltmore Rosellini with a 2-3/4" brim, which does an admirable job of shutting out the glare from upstairs.

What I'd like to find for these little trips is a rollable/foldable/crushable fedora or western hat that is

1) of decent quality; and

2) generally available at a reasonable cost.

Opinions welcomed, pointers solicited. I thank you all.

Cheers,

Jack (mid-road trip)

Jack,
I too searched for a rollable/foldable fur felt hat for my motorcycle saddlebags.
I have been thru many wool "crushers" but ended up getting a used Stetson Pinnacle that I put in a Christy's tube.
I bought the Christy's Foldaway & was highly disappointed. I did end up with one of their tubes.
I had an old Pinnacle which is tough enough, 100% beaver, to take the rolling & unrolling.
I've seen some nice Borso Rollables but wouldn't want to abuse one.
Good luck & keep us posted on your search results. HTH

new2hats

A-List Customer
When I first started I was new to hats (hence the name). I want to change my name but keep the same # posts. Can I do this, or do I need to re-apply? Thanks!

new2hats

A-List Customer
What is a dress weight felt/hat? Is it heavier or lighter? Is it usually made of higher end material I take it (Beaver, Nutria?). Thanks for insights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24